Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

One of the local boys had a cuscus or tree kangaroo for cruisers to take a photo of.  I would have very much liked to have taken a photo but I simply did not have a small enough note to pay him. He was asking for 5 kina and I saw him have an argument with some cruisers who posed for several photos with the healthy looking marsupial and then just threw him some coins.  He was not happy. 

Loving your info,we are going on 3rd Feb on Sea Princess.

I will have,thanks to Salvos where I volunteer dozens of packs of pencils and colours for the kids,which island do you think was the most needy ?

A bonus on Hal is they still have Happy Hour,will be keeping an eye out for more sailings

Cheers Carole

27 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Loving your info,we are going on 3rd Feb on Sea Princess.

I will have,thanks to Salvos where I volunteer dozens of packs of pencils and colours for the kids,which island do you think was the most needy ?

A bonus on Hal is they still have Happy Hour,will be keeping an eye out for more sailings

Cheers Carole

Definitely Kiriwina and Kitava.  I recall there was a box for donations on Kiriwina.  On Kitava there were several groups of school children singing so you could approach the adults with these children with your donations and there were islanders in hi Vis jackets at the end of the tender wharf who you could approach.   

Ben from Alotau Tours will also accept donations but the smaller remote islands are the most needy.

For anyone reading this, other items that are greatly appreciated as donations on Kiriwina and Kitava are sheets of sand paper and wood glue (for the wood carvers) and fishing hooks.

At the beach at Kiriwina, we headed to the northern end where there was a bit of shade.  Plenty of cruisers and locals were swimming in this section.  As soon, as we put down our towels, we were  approached by locals wanting to exchange money.  Whilst they were polite, they were persistent and they had no concept of personal space which became annoying.  We also had a group of young boys loitering and we and other cruisers were reluctant to leave our bags unattended.  This together with me almost being hit by one of the canoes being paddled out into deeper water, meant I only swam briefly.

Instead i took a walk along the length of the beach.  I noticed that most cruisers, no matter where they were sitting along the beach,  had a local sitting next to them.  The concept of personal space just seemed to be lacking on this island.  If you want to swim and chat to the locals Kiriwina is the place for you.

Nevertheless, it is a lovely island and I am glad I visited Kiriwina.

Kitava is another primitive port with no ship tours or local tours.  Like Kiriwina there are hundreds of wooden carvings for sale by the locals.  If you are cruising to Kiriwina, Kitava & Conflict Islands in PNG and are interested in buying carvings make sure you purchase on first two islands as you will pay double on Conflict Island.

• Like 1

After getting off our tender at the beach at Kitava we were greeted by hundreds of locals lined up along the length of the beach from one end of the beach to the other behind a makeshift fence, many seated with their families ready to sell their carvings and handmade bags.

We were also greeted by the beautiful sounds of groups of school children singing.  Their were about 4 infants/primary school represented in groups spread out along the beach and the singing was beautiful to hear. 

After purchasing some carvings as gifts with kina, I donated my change of notes to one of the school groups.  They had small baskets in front of the children for donations.

One of the things you can do on beautiful Kitava, is sail on one of this hand made boats a short distance to a lovely island directly opposite the beach.  My friends did this.  It only cost $5 kina and they had a lovely experience.  The sails are made of tarps and when they cruise to PNG next they are going to head into Bunnings to purchase some tarps to donate to the locals.

20181214_114327.jpg