Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

Four of us in the cabin.  The Canadians and myself and the other lady facing "backwards" but each seated in a corner and our views were just as soon.  The Canadians offered to swap seats at the midway point but it wasn't necessary.

There are several points where you get off and do a short boardwalk through the "bush" and there were guides giving free walks and talks but we all skipped them and because we got on well, us 4 stuck together and reboarding the same gondola at each re-boarding point.  Queues to re-board were very short, in the shade and brief.

20181217_105120.jpg

The main thing to see apart from the game is the Bowen Falls.  We were told we were in luck because they had alot of rain recently.  Best view from the Gondola is on the left side but we do get off the gondola and there is a short walk to a lookout for the same photo.  So don't stress where you sit.

20181217_110827.jpg

At the end of the Skyrail journey, there is a short walk of about 10 mins into Kuranda or there is a free air-conditioned coach shuttle.  As the coach had just arrived as we exited the Skyrail gift Shop, we hopped on the coach for a quick trip to Kuranda with the coach driver giving us things to see and do in the way.

We were dropped us outside the Butterfly Farm which also happened to be the pick up point for our return coach.  The 4 of us decided to visit the Butterfly Farm.  $20 adult.  I got a $2 discount.  Not sure why - maybe because I paid cash?  Small but nicely set out inside.  Had seen all but one gorgeous green butterfly in my own garden.  The gorgeous green one was too busy fluttering to pose for a photo.

20181217_120106.jpg

There were alot more butterflies than these photos suggest.  Videos are better.  I thought it was a nice place to visit even though I was probably inside for approx 20 mins.

There were seats outside the entrance in the shade and spent the rest of my time in Kuranda (we had an hour free time) catching up with my family and friends who hadn't heard from me since we left Gladstone, using my phone 4g. Assured them I survived PNG.  Cruise ports are safer than Port Moresby and letting everyone know that Cyclone Owen had not impacted my cruise at all.  One of my friends from work had been tracking the cyclone so knew i was fine.

20181217_115555.jpg

Return trip on coach we got more excellent commentary from our guide.  Only negative was the stop at a lookout mentioned in the tour blurb was the coach having a brief stop at the lookout but we weren't permitted to get off so you only got a photo of you were on the left seats of the coach.

Private tender pictured waiting to take us from Yorkeys Knob Marina back to the ship which you can see in the distance.

20181217_140837.jpg

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Question if I may, the 2nd sitting - Traditional Dining in MDR, what time was that please? 

Any questions are welcome.  7.45pm.  

Early seating was pretty quiet.  Some nights only 1/3 MDR was filled.  2nd seating would have been more popular I would have thought.

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Any questions are welcome.  7.45pm.  

Early seating was pretty quiet.  Some nights only 1/3 MDR was filled.  2nd seating would have been more popular I would have thought.

Thanks for that, we are on 2nd sitting TD, actual time is not defined on our booking summary, hence the query.  Enjoying your marvellous photos.:classic_biggrin:

Edited by NSWP

Another beautiful port, another ship tour.  Had to meet in BB King's Lounge this time.  Had to leave past crew quarters because there were so many ship tours for this beautiful place.

Tender took ages to fill up then we finally headed up off, only to turn around and head straight back to the boat pick up two latecomers for their tours..

Took this photo while waiting on the tender.  Look at the colour of the water.

20181218_101343.jpg