Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

Great review! So easy to read and follow in small segments. Really enjoyed it. 

We did our first Holland America just recently from Montreal down to Cuba and back to Boston and we were really impressed with them. I always know when I enjoy a cruise line when I get off with at least one Future Cruise Deposit for them in my pocket!! 

19 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Thanks so much for the review and photos, looks like a lovely ship. Have wanted to try HAL, so great info.

Is the Noordam the same class of ship as Ex HAL ships P&O Eden and Aria? If so a nice size.

Getting my cruise fix sitting in a hotel in Canberra, 39c outside😩 so thankyou!!

If I may Chez, Noordam is a Vista Class ship, 83,000 tonnes, - 1950 pax, bit larger than Eden and Aria the ex smaller HAL ships.  HAL have a few Vista Class ships as does P&O UK - Arcadia, which I have been on to UK.   The Noordam cruise will be our first HAL trip.  Yes, 39C in Canberra, my wife and granddaughter are over there now at DFO and Ikea, rather warm they said.

noordam.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Day 1 - this HAL newbie spent the day exploring the ship, joining the CC roll call meet & greet in a roped off area of the Crow's Nest at the front of Deck 10 and generally relaxing.  Enjoyed our first Gala Night in the MDR followed by a Captain's Welcome Toast with Captain Henk Draper in the Vista Lounge and some evening entertainment.

Day 2 - was a port day in Gladstone.  Booked the "highlights" tour of Gladstone through the ship.  I did a mix of ship tours, local tour and exploring on my own throughout  the cruise.  HAL give a pretty good outline of what you can expect in their online tour blurb unlike Royal who tend be rather vague.

Next stop was a viewpoint overlooking the aluminium smelter.  I have a video but I will spare you.  Final spot was the reason I booked the tour, the Botanical gardens.  The photos looked lovely online but they must have been taken in better days.

Edited by aussielozzie18
typo

Arrived at the Botanical Gardens and our coach was met by a park guide and a lady volunteer.  We had the option of a mini tour of the gardens with the guide who normally does a min 3hr tour but we only had 30mins or go with the volunteer to see the Japanese tea house which again looked lovely online.

Only myself and a gent from Washington DC in a wheelchair chose to do the Japanese tea house.  Debby Downer was our guide.  The path to the tea house was not particularly wheelchair friendly and our guide mentioned that she had never had a person in a wheelchair before.  Nevertheless my fellow passenger made it there.  Sadly, due to the drought and lack of funds, the tea house and surrounding gardens were a shadow of their former selves. Not worth a visit.  At this point I have had enough of Debbie Downer who spent our walk complaining about the poor use of funds and 4 directors in 5 years and thanked her for her time and made my way back to wait for the return trip.  No photos because there was none worth taking.

Gotta give credit to our guide on the return trip to the ship.  He managed to give us a continuous enthusiastic narration of the highlights of Gladstone which included several mentions of Macca's, KFC and Bunnings plus the local new housing build.  Couldn't fault his enthusiasm.

So whilst the tour was complete dud for me, it did what was described, the coach company staff were excellent and I am glad I got off the ship and got to stretch my legs.  In the unlikely event I ever visit Gladstone again I will be staying on the ship.

Photo of us docking in Gladstone.

20181209_111744.jpg

Next day was a sea day.  Went to a talk about the sea life we can expect to see on the Great Barrier Reef.  I was interested to hear her talk about a particular territorial fish that gets aggressive when it's is breeding.  I had a run in with this fish while snorkeling at Mystery Island and it gave me a bit of a fright.  Wish I could remember the name.

At 2pm, it was the Captain's Q & A in the Vista Lounge.  I always find these interesting.  Captain's blunt response to how much clearance there was when we cruised under the Harbour bridge "enough"!

A request to visit the Bridge was given a definite NO by the Captain due to security concerns post 9/11.  Interesting I was able to visit the Bridge on Carnival Spirit in March and meet the Captain as part of their excellent behind the scenes tour.

23 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Only myself and a gent from Washington DC in a wheelchair chose to do the Japanese tea house.  Debby Downer was our guide.  The path to the tea house was not particularly wheelchair friendly and our guide mentioned that she had never had a person in a wheelchair before.  Nevertheless my fellow passenger made it there.  Sadly, due to the drought and lack of funds, the tea house and surrounding gardens were a shadow of their former selves. Not worth a visit.  At this point I have had enough of Debbie Downer who spent our walk complaining about the poor use of funds and 4 directors in 5 years and thanked her for her time and made my way back to wait for the return trip.  No photos because there was none worth taking.

Gotta give credit to our guide on the return trip to the ship.  He managed to give us a continuous enthusiastic narration of the highlights of Gladstone which included several mentions of Macca's, KFC and Bunnings plus the local new housing build.  Couldn't fault his enthusiasm.

So whilst the tour was complete dud for me, it did what was described, the coach company staff were excellent and I am glad I got off the ship and got to stretch my legs.  In the unlikely event I ever visit Gladstone again I will be staying on the ship.

Photo of us docking in Gladstone.

20181209_111744.jpg

My day consisted of a leisurely walk into town after checking out the markets where we leave the wharf. Lots of interesting stuff and a few food stalls offering up tasty fare. As it was a Sunday there was nothing open in town. I left my friends there (they were using local wifi) and went off to find some geocaches. It was a hot day but heat does not bother me. A lot of the locals had turned up to see the ship and visit the markets. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and there was a highland band entertaining the masses. I succumbed to having a pluto pup (dagwood dog to some) on the way back to the ship. Yum. Like you said lozzie, it was good to stretch the legs.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My day consisted of a leisurely walk into town after checking out the markets where we leave the wharf. Lots of interesting stuff and a few food stalls offering up tasty fare. As it was a Sunday there was nothing open in town. I left my friends there (they were using local wifi) and went off to find some geocaches. It was a hot day but heat does not bother me. A lot of the locals had turned up to see the ship and visit the markets. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and there was a highland band entertaining the masses. I succumbed to having a pluto pup (dagwood dog to some) on the way back to the ship. Yum. Like you said lozzie, it was good to stretch the legs.

I saw those markets when I boarded the coach.  Would have liked to have taken a look see.  Glad you enjoyed your roam around  Gladstone markets and your PP or DD.  

Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures and thoughts,

My first ever cruise was on the Noordam in Alaska and will stay in my mind for ever.

Loved the walk around (we were told clockwise but saw more going the other direction)

Cheers Carole