Review of Noordam - Dec 2018 cruise

17 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures and thoughts,

My first ever cruise was on the Noordam in Alaska and will stay in my mind for ever.

Loved the walk around (we were told clockwise but saw more going the other direction)

Cheers Carole 

Thanks Carole.  Alaska is on my bucket list.  Yes, it seemed that most people walked Deck 3 anti-clockwise or relaxed on the cushioned deck chairs and read/slept.

• Haha 1

For our visit to Alotau I booked a private tour.  Small group in an air-conditioned van with driver and guide and a bottle of water provided.  Pre-booked tour online but paid for tour on the day.  Tour departed just outside the port gates.  Our first stop was an extended visit to a village on the water front.

20181212_092730.jpg

Our next stop was a forest village.  Lush greenery, butterflies and a picturesque creek.  The many of the locals in PNG have red teeth and gums.  This is from chewing the betel nut and adding lime powder.  We were given an interesting demonstration and an option to try some but we all passed.  Next we got the soft sell on palm oil which they promote as having medical properties.  Finally we had a fruit stop and photo op by the lovely creek.  This was a lovely village visit.

There were 6 of us on this private van with excellent aircon.

HAL tour staff made it very clear they are unable to provide air-conditioned buses and their drivers have limited English on their tours in Alotau.

Private tour was a great option here.

20181212_122454.jpg

Edited by aussielozzie18
Typo