2019 Silversea ship visits to Tower Bridge - lift times

les37b

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, les37b said:

They have always (IFAICS) shown the arrival and departure times in the itinerary. Have they changed it? (It wouldnt be the first time!) Or had you not seen it shown? I have to admit, there were several factors we took into account when choosing, but arriving at 2am would likely to have been a deal breaker. For me, (being a Londoner) it will be something to savoir, so I'm possibly very biased. I am pretty surprised at the number they have arriving and departing in anti social times. I appreciate tides come into the equation, but personally I'd like to see them make it they highlight it is for each voyage.

I had not seen the arrival and departure times.  Not a deal breaker, though it was going to be a highlight of the trip.  Disappointed--very much.

My booking confirmation (done in 2017) shows a 5.30 PM departure so I was anticipating a beautiful evening sail. 

Presumably a typo since the website now shows a 5.30 AM departure. 

I am deeply disappointed. May even pursue the matter. 

Edited by jollyjones

On 1/2/2019 at 10:21 PM, les37b said:

Leaving London, you depart in reverse. My recollection was that we had travelled far more than we actually had. The ship stops near to Rotherhythe Tunnel where it does a 180 and eventually probably an hour after you left your mooring, you are no under your own steam downstream past Canary Wharf and Greenwich. 2 Hours after setting off, you will reach the Dartford Bridge which is part of the outer motorway round (M25) which circles London, (though the bridge and tunnels are NOT part of the M25). After this, the views get less interesting and most is bland and boring. I'd estimate it will be around 4 hours from leaving Tower Bridge to leaving the estuary and in the North Sea.

I did actually film our sailing in real time (as opposed to timelapse), but never got round to editing and uploading. I will do some day!

In the meantime....

This was Silver Cloud arriving 2 days before my sailing.... If you stop the clip at about 30 seconds, that is about the place that you will spin round on the way downstream.

And this was Silver Cloud departing.... annoyingly it started to rain, so I cut filming until a little latter. 

Silver Cloud expedition arriving last May

Silver Wind upstream at Dartford Crossing (Which JP was on as mentioned above)

Fantastic footage Les. Did you have to get special permission to use the Drone? I would love to take mine if we do Alaska on the Muse this summer but saw somewhere it’s not permitted. 

6 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Fantastic footage Les. Did you have to get special permission to use the Drone? I would love to take mine if we do Alaska on the Muse this summer but saw somewhere it’s not permitted. 

No restrictions in place at Dartford Crossing. Though one evening (and I was there the previous day for an incoming voyage, without problems)  there was a huge geo-fence in place. (Like they have near airports.) I thought that was that, but saw on YouTube some footage taken a couple of months later and emailed the guy who said there were no restrictions in place. (By that I mean geo fence restrictions and he hadn’t disabled anything to allow flight.) So my next visit I was pleasantly surprised to see it was true.

The geo fence that was temporarily in place covered most of the bridge and all of the north shore. From my take off location to the southI had no problems flying over the river, but it hit a no fly zone about 50 yards out. The drone just stops in its tracks. So very pleased when I found it had been lifted (and hopefully still is.)

No permission sought, however on one voyage Master Echo was on board and the captain said, “ok I won’t get the shotgun out”. Silversea have been made aware I film and I have given them permission to use any footage, so if they were unhappy I’m sure they’d let me know.

As to Alaska,  looking on line, it would appear flying isn’t a problem (sticking to the usual restrictions which will I think be the same as here)...... but you are supposed to register the drone at a cost of $5. Have a look at uavcoach.com which gives details of the rules in place in the US by State. I’ve not looked in depth but I don’t think there will be problems to do so. (But don’t take off from the ship - that’s a huge no no.)

ive a clip of the Muse which you might be interested in taken in St Tropez and has a full ship walk through.

I will be taking my drone with me to Sicily in March, Caribbean in April, Adriatic in September and the one I’m looking forward to, Norway in August  next year......... Laws permitting of course and I’ve a nasty feeling there may be huge restrictions in place after Gatwick and Heathrow issues. (I honestly have reservations about the validity of the allegations. I didn’t at first but now deeply suspicious.)

Hope Etna is still blowing its top for my mini break.

Edited by les37b

Many lines don’t even allow you to take drones onto their ships. Silversea doesn’t list as prohibted.

i think it’s probably a grey area regarding legality, but fairly certain your passage of travel could be jeopardised by doing so. Comfort of other guests, plus I expect they’d be concerned about you flying something from their vessel and causing a third party problem. Personally I’d love to be able to do it, but taking off from and landing in a public area just isn’t something I’d expect them to agree to and it isn’t something ive asked because I’m certain the answer would be no. I think that’s now more likely than ever.

just a bit of common sense and courtesy mostly and I’m fairly confident “protection” of the other guests would be SS highest priority. Shame because I’m sure it would be awesome flying circuits when anchored! 

I have been caught out flying flying somewhere I shouldn’t. Nothing happened and only learned a fair time afterwards. (It was in the first couple of weeks of owning).  Uncrowded parks should be ideal..... unless there are bylaws in place... which even includes flying a kite! That’s royal parks for ya!

Hehe 😂 

Ive only really used mine around the valley here and on the Great Orme in Llandudno. Never used it in a built up area yet. I’m still not sure about the whole Gatwick thing, I Can’t make sense of it. I’m sure there’ll be lots more restrictions in the future after that. 

On 1/8/2019 at 7:21 PM, jollyjones said:

My booking confirmation (done in 2017) shows a 5.30 PM departure so I was anticipating a beautiful evening sail. 

Presumably a typo since the website now shows a 5.30 AM departure. 

I am deeply disappointed. May even pursue the matter. 

I know its not the first time Ive seen similar changes and a question mark over the them. It never seems to be a betterment! 

Is it the Norway cruise on 22 June? (departing at 5.30am on the 23rd) Super itinerary. If you still take the option, I;d like to pick your brain on the Flam stop as ours next year has a similar stop pattern there.