San Diego dilemma

katfer

While the airport is very close, San Diego cruise port is notorious for long delays in disembarkation, often due to foreign guests not following directions for on-board immigration check the morning of arrival. This has resulted in us not being able to disembark earlier than 10AM on some cruises. In addition, the TSA checkpoints at Lindbergh field can be very crowded (not enough stations).  I would hesitate to book a flight earlier than noon.

I agree not before noon or even later.  We fly in/out of SAN several times a year.  It's the worst major city airport.  Several concourses each with it's own TSA check-in.  Depending on which airlines and flight you might get the luck of the draw and have a short line or very long line.  Plus, you will find a lot of wheelchair bound passengers.  We have +35 cruises and I have never seen as many wheelchair PAX as in SAN on a debarkation day.  Some times TSA pre-check is longer than the normal line.  Personally, I would book a late flight, let all the cruise PAX clear out, and go spend a few hours enjoying San Diego.  Better yet spend the night an fly the next day.  

9 hours ago, Splinter said:

While the airport is very close, San Diego cruise port is notorious for long delays in disembarkation, often due to foreign guests not following directions for on-board immigration check the morning of arrival. This has resulted in us not being able to disembark earlier than 10AM on some cruises. .......

We had this happen to us several years ago -- no one debarks until the foreign guests clear their on-board immigration.  While we were just heading to the airport to pick up a rental car to drive to Palm Springs for several days, other folks were sweating their flight departures.  And several folks were in a forward ship lounge watching their train 9 AM-ish train depart.  So yes, while the San Diego airport is so close you can watch planes landing from the top decks of cruise ships, this is a port in which is prudent to book a flight after noon.

I have booked as early as 11:30 am and never a close call.  One thing to consider however is where the ship is coming in from.  For example, we are next on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise (out and back from SD), so I do not expect Customs to be a big issue.  If your cruise starts further away (like the Orient or South America), it could be a greater issue and I would allow more time.

On our last cruise out of SF, we used Super Shuttle for our pre-cruise airport to Fishermans W hotel and after the cruise from the port to SFO. Very efficient both ways. Our hotel was only 2-3 blocks from the pier so I don't understand why I would be out of their service area. I would call them and ask. I think I had to fiddle with their web site to recognize the port as a valid address.

We used the dedicated van since we had 6 passengers and it was less than the per-passenger rate. We reserved, paid and tiped on line so we just got into the van and went.