Fjord Questions

Just booked 10 days Norway Fjords cruise leaving from Rotterdam. Only available sailing is from April 22 to May 2 2020.  Am I out of my mind? Will it be freezing? Do I need to purchase a down jacket? Plenty of time to plan, but would appreciate help from those who know. Thanks

You will probably need water resistant outerwear, since you will likely have to deal with cool rainy, weather.  We use Lands End Gore Tex  rain gear with fleece jackets.  We also had water resistant hiking shoes.    A down jacket is useless if it gets wet.  We have done Hurtigruten cruises as well as DIY trips to Bergan, Alesund, and Stavanger in late April and May.  Rain was the major weather issue.  

The Norwegian coast is known for rain, so that’s an issue any time of year. The only difference between rain in April/May and rain in June/July is what you layer underneath your rain gear. Early in the season, you’ll want more insulation.

Saltshell:

Travel to Norway in April and May is worth it.  It is not as crowded as the summer months (July and August).  If you have poor weather it will be rain, but not every day.  Several years ago we ended our Hurtigruten cruise on May 12.  The temperatures were in the mid 80's and they were in the middle of a five day warm spell.  If you want to go into the mountains, the high passes such as the Trollsteigen near Geiranger may not be open in May.  Last year when we were in Bergen in late April, it was cool and misty on Day 1, and then cool and clear for the next three days as we traveled down to Stavanger, and Kristiansund in Norway.  

We did a fjords cruise in Early May and we were very lucky, some sunshine and no rain. Going on another this May. Our son lives in Norway and he says they class it good weather when it doesn’t rain. I think it’s very much the luck of the draw. Someone said ( don’t know who) ‘ no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes’. Enjoy your cruise, I absolutely loved the fjords. X

1 hour ago, saltshell said:

Thanks for the positive feedback! Now I just have to find the perfect rain/warm jacket.

I’d strongly recommend looking at a separate rain/wind jacket and layering it over something like a fleece for warmth. That way you can change the middle layers depending on the conditions, and it’s a lot more versatile.