Carlisle Bay Beach or Paynes Bay Beach?

ddaz

Howdy,

Does anybody have a preference between Carlisle Bay and Paynes Bay for snorkeling with the turtles?  I understand that there are numerous beach clubs along Carlisle Bay which offer turtle tours, but I am concerned that this area may be overcrowded with us cruise ship passenger's.

Thanks

ddaz

GBY 

Edited by ddaz

The tour boats as well as the catamarans attract the turtles in Carlisle Bay by feeding them - IMHO it is too far and too dangerous to try to swim out from the shore.  Swimming with the turtles was great, and the bonus of snorkeling over the ship wreck was icing on the cake.  Yes it is busy with others from various boats, but still fun and enjoyable - the earlier in the day you go out, the better.

I am not familiar with Paynes Bay.

Have a great cruise. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

We did the turtle swim at Paynes Bay in Sept. 2015 as part of our tour, but we mainly chose Paynes Bay for the beach.  We only saw two turtles, so that was a little disappointing.  I have no information on the beach since we never got to enjoy it but it was very pretty.  We were taken out to see the turtles as soon as we arrived and were supposed to be out for about 30 minutes and have about an hour and a half to enjoy the beach.  It was was about 10AM when when my husband and I were taken out and that's when we saw the two turtles.  Not too long after we were out there (maybe 10 minutes), the guide got a call that there was a group of 8 that wanted to go out to the shipwreck and to see turtles, so he called us back to the boat and we went back to pick to pick up that group.  After picking them up, the guide took us to the shipwreck first and we spent about a half hour there and then we were taken back to where the turtles were.  We did not see any that time and we were out there for quite some time.   By the time we got back, it was just about noon and time to continue on with the land part of our tour. 

If you really want to see turtles, I'd probably recommend Carlise Bay.  I don't have personal experience with swimming/snorkeling with turtles at Carlisle Bay, but know others who have and they've seen a lot.  Also, just seeing picture reviews posted here on CC, I've seen several who have swam/snorkeled w/turtles off Carlisle Bay and their pictures show a lot of turtles.  If you want a pretty beach that's rather uncrowded and you don't mind just seeing a turtle or two, then Paynes Bay would be an option.