2 year olds on Zandaam?

babytraveler

At no time did I attempt to speak for HAL or for other passengers. If you choose not to go, that is your choice.

This is not a game. It is a vacation, one we all pay good money to take. There are no winners or losers, only good experiences and bad experiences. I have had bad experiences with disruptive children both on land and at sea, and yes, I have talked to other passengers who do not enjoy having children as fellow passengers.

Good luck to you, and make whatever decision is best for you and your family. Just know that there are other cruise lines out there that are more "family-friendly" or "family-oriented" than HAL.

I hope you are just being sarcastic. I can't tell from post...

I'm thinking of leaving my 2 year old with grandparents because I have to take care of my older one too, and with the long complicated flight and overnight in Seattle, it is just too much for me. I'm also feeling overwhelmed at managing their differing needs once onboard.

The attitude of HAL cruisers should not be a deciding factor, merely another complication. If you aren't feeling overwhelmed by the stuff I am, please don't let fellow passengers cancel your trip.

What others on these boards don't understand about vacation planning is that not all of us have planned our own trips. We HAVE to go because it is someone's big event. Someone else planned the trip and chose HAL. In fact, we have non internet family members bringing about 8 kids ranging from 4-teen who have no idea that HAL isn't a kid extravaganza just waiting to show the gang a good time!

Don't let anyone put you off. Still, I hope you were joking...

the bottom line is that it would not be much fun for any of us (DH and I and our twins). Your situation is much different, and I think your five year old would have a blast.

My extended family will be dissapointed that we wont be participants in this big event, but with us staying home they don't have to concern themselves with our involvement in daily activities (or lack thereof), whether at dinner or any excursion.

I will certainly have regrets, but this seems like the best decision for everyone. I didnt mean to sound sarcastic in my last post, as the attitude of HAL cruisers only played a small role in our decision. But I think it's important to realize how few and far between toddlers are on the alaska cruises.

Perhaps we'll join other parents on a caribbean disney cruise in a couple of years...

There have been infants and toddlers on all 4 of the HAL cruises I've taken, and I've never noticed that they were a problem, nor did I hear other passengers complain.

When there WAS a problem, it seemed to be older children and teens playing in the elevators, running in the halls, monopolizing the hot tubs, etc.

If you decide to leave the kids or home, or decide not to cruise altogether, please don't blame HAL passengers for your decision. If you've never been on a HAL cruise with your children, how do you know how people will react?

Roz

Please do not allow a few child-negative curmudgenly(sp?) posts to convince you all HAL cruisers are anti-children. Remember, the vast majority of HAL cruisers don't even know these chat boards exist.

The cruise line is working hard to make it possible for adults and children to enjoy the quality cruise experience HAL provides. There are spaces set aside for children. There are children's programs and HAL knows how many children and what ages will be aboard each cruise so can plan and staff appropriately.

HAL has many public spaces where adults can find some peace and quiet. We CAN co-exist! The key issue is whether the parents are willing to supervise their children while on a cruise. It sounds like you are all responsible parents. Do take your HAL family cruises. These memories are worth the effort.

Just a thought from someone who tried to convince DH a family cruise was a good investment compared to the memories created. We delayed the planning too long and our family cruise took place minus our beloved husband and father.

okay, you win. after much discussion, we decided to forgo the cruise altogether. not only will we leave the babies at home, but we'll stay with them. we'll miss the family reunion and my mom's 70 birthday celebration, but it seems quite clear that this would be the most appropriate decision, given the unwelcoming nature of HAL cruises toward children. thanks for your help in arriving at this conclusion.

There are four million "Mariners". Do you really believe that the opinions of any individual or group on this board is reflective of the four million? Or are you merely rationalizing because you don't want to go?

Despite the attitudes of a few curmudgeon cruisers, The ship is not the destination. Alaska is, and it is the most kid friendly place on earth!

Allow me to offer an observation on this issue. In 2003 I went to Alaska on the Volendam. It was a wonderful cruise and the views were amazing. I had a FANTASTIC time. This cruise had a sizable number of children aboard. I saw large family groups and small family groups; I saw couples with young toddlers (2-3 years old), I saw older parents with teens, and I saw several families with mixes (teens AND toddlers). I even saw one couple with a baby and a toddler.

It was wonderful. My observation of the crew was that they were FANTASTIC dealing with the kids. I watched, time and again, how they dealt with the families, worked hard to accommodate their needs and wishes, and always with great patience and a beaming smile. But, then, that is to be expected from the gracious Holland America Line crew! It's what they're best known for!

Likewise, I watched my fellow passengers. It is no secret about the "pose" I have taken on this board when it comes to children on cruises. With that "pose" in mind, I was curious to see how the REAL "curmudgeons" would react ... those whom I have enjoyed lampooning for years. And, sure enough, I overheard a few grumps whining about the children; there will always be a few of those in EVERY population group. But, overwhelmingly, I heard very heartening remarks about the families and the children: how charming they were, how great it was to see so MANY families on the cruise, how well-behaved they all were, and so-on. At tea one day I noticed the children of one couple talking with a fellow who must have been in his upper 80s (or higher). I don't think he was their great grandfather or something like that -- I never saw them together otherwise, yet frequently saw one or the other -- but to see the interaction across the generations, and the apparent joy the old fellow was having chatting with the children (5 and 6 years old) was indeed gratifying.

Please consider this from someone who has, in the past on this board, put on a "pose" of child dislike. You and your children will be welcome and you will not feel out of place aboard ship. Are there going to be some grumps? YES. That's human nature. Indeed, there are some grumps who don't like it that middle-aged people like ME dare to invade "their" cruise line ... yes, I've encountered THAT aboard HAL ships! But, by-and-large, the reception you will receive will be overwhelming positive, welcoming, and gracious. Trust me ... please ... make the cruise and have a glorious time!

And, the Club HAL staff was very nice and said we were always welcome to be in Club HAL. I had to stay (which was fine with me), but it was a great area for my child to run and play.

I also found that NO ONE was unpleasant to us. Everyone just said how nice it was to have little ones on board, and how they missed their grandchildren. I think if you are considerate of others, you will all have a great time.

I also posted a complete review of what it was like to cruise with a young child, and you can see it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=238150

If you post to it, I will check and answer any questions you have.

I can only second revneal's experience. While I can't speak from a parent's perspective, as a long time HAL passenger (25+ years) we've always seen toddlers and strollers on our trips - Alaska in particular. Usually parents of young children prefer the earlier seating at dinner. We prefer main seating, but one time we were in the Dining room as they were setting up for the early seating - I was stunned at how many tables had high chairs. I wouldn't have imagined they would even have that many available on a HAL ship. We haven't heard any 'curmudgeon' talk, but usually notice that the children have many 'foster' grandparents among the passengers and aunts/uncles from the crew (who are no doubt missing their own children).

Archived