Mexican Riviera With MS?

silverwings7272

My Mama is joining us on our next cruise (April). We are going on the Carnival splendor to the Mexican Riviera. She has MS and uses a cane to walk. She can not walk long distances so I am trying to think about how to make this a nice  trip for her. Has anyone ever cruised or done excursions in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, or Cab San Lucas with these types of restrictions? We are traveling with a 4 year old, 13 y/o, and 3 adults. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by silverwings7272

I also have a disability and cannot walk long distances.   I have a mobility scooter that I use for the winter months that I spend in Puerto Vallarta.   In April it won't be too hot, perhaps about 30 C and not too much humidity.   I would suggest you have a rollator/walker  that your mother could sit down on when she gets tired walking.   They fold up and also have a basket for her purse etc.  

You could also look into renting a scooter for the duration of the cruise but they might be heavy to lift into cars of vans when you do tours.   Mine is light enough to pick up and it also folds down (it's Travelscoot).  

There are lots of cobblestone streets in Puerto Vallarta and they can be bumpy when on a scooter.   You will probably be taking tours in a car or van so it should not affect her too much.

Check out the tours offered in the ports of call section for Mexico and see what appeals to you and your family.  

Can she climb the steps into a tour bus? The tour buses are usually air conditioned. if taking ships tours, pick those that describe the trip as little or no walking. If not, then you can take taxis for both Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan, although in Mazatlan she would need to get onto the trolley (1-2 steps) that takes you from the pier to the gate.  In Cabo she will need to be able to get on/off the tender (which also may require stairs) by herself with no assistance, so if it is rough, she may not be allowed ashore.  Again, a cab may be a good option as the walk into town from the pier may be a problem for her.

Would she be willing to take a folding wheelchair for use ashore (assuming another family member could push)? This will be much better than walking if it is hot with MS, and you can put a folding chair into a cab as well easily.