Is the NCL Messaging App better?

chrisbog71

So, I have gone on three cruises in the last three years.   I'm leaving on the Bliss in a few days.   I have had mixed success with the Messaging app while on board.   Sometimes it works great, sometimes it doesn't.   It is almost like we never get messages and we couldn't figure out why it was so unstable.

Does anyone know if the current revision is any better?

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Jade last month. I couldn't even get the iconcierge app to load onto my phone let

alone text anyone. It might be different on the Bliss. I uploaded the app beforehand and then I was

supposed to relaunch on the ship. Never happened. We had good luck with leaving cabin voicemail

messages, writing notes, and having pre-arranged time and meeting places. Also when we got off the

ship for port stops we would pick a place to meet if we got separated.

3 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We were on the Jade last month. I couldn't even get the iconcierge app to load onto my phone let

alone text anyone. It might be different on the Bliss. I uploaded the app beforehand and then I was

supposed to relaunch on the ship. Never happened. We had good luck with leaving cabin voicemail

messages, writing notes, and having pre-arranged time and meeting places. Also when we got off the

ship for port stops we would pick a place to meet if we got separated.

You mentioned iConcierge and that has been retired for a while now. The new app is called "Cruise Norwegian" so that may have been why iConcierge didn't work for you. 

https://www.ncl.com/apps

Cruised the Bliss in November.  After having been really disappointed in the past with iConcierge, I can say that the new app is definitely better and more reliable, but still has times where it just doesn't work.  If it were $3.00 per phone, I could easily overlook the flaws, but for the price they charge it is really hard to recommend. 

How does it turn into a "communication" app? I have it on my IPhone but there is no indication of texting or calling. There is not even any indication of there being one.

I understand (have read somewhere) that you need to log on to the WiFi (we are going on the Bliss) but, how do you do that without having paid for a wifi account?

I understand the cost is $10.99 per phone per cruise? Details would be appreciated.

NCL ship's WiFi when initially connected, via iOS or Android, will stay within the inTRAnet side of the server, without access to external URL's or (web)sites ... inTERnet is only enabled when you take an extra step to log-in (registered & activated devices by "Mac" ID addresses - whether it's with the "free" minutes or unlimited plans, one device at a time. 

The calling & messaging features is hidden or won't load, run, etc. until you are on the ship and enabled.  It only needs to be on the inTRAney side, closed loop ... you won't see those functions off the ship's network.

IMG_20190108_213121098.jpg

Collage 2019-02-02 13_18_52.jpg

Collage 2019-01-23 21_33_51.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

So after just getting offf the Bliss, the app worked better but still not perfect.   The biggest problem was on the first two days when you connect to the ssid, it kept asking us to purchase a package.   If you weren’t careful, you could have checked the wrong thing.

I also had better luck by ensuring the Auto-Join setting was set to on!   That is on my iPhone and it would automatically connect without prompting to purchase the package!

• Like 1