Things to do in Hawaii

DCParky

Hi Everyone - I am going to be cruising on the Celebrity Solstice, sailing April 30th with stops in Hilo, Kona, and an overnight stay in Lahaina.  I'm looking for suggestions for day trips at any of those locations.  Anyone who's done something independent of the cruise line and fun, I'd love to hear it!

Have you looked down the board? Every port is covered in detail, with many options, including private tours.

We don't know your interests, budget or other limitations, so some research would narrow down this very broad question.

One thing you won't be doing is whale watching...the whales are gone by then.

I haven't gone yet but Hilo has Volcanoes National Park and waterfalls, there is a beautiful botanical garden and some black sand beaches near the port.  Kona is good for a snorkeling excursion and there are also historic tours which will include Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park.  Lahaina is a town with art galleries, shops, restaurants, the famous Banyan tree, and also has the Old Lahaina Luau which is thought to be one of the best in Hawaii.  Snorkeling is also very good on Maui, second only to the Big Island, if that interests you.  Since you will be in Lahaina overnight, you could venture away from the town to the beaches for a beach day or drive upcountry to Haleakala, Maui's dormant volcano.  If you are open to renting a car on Maui and driving, you could see much more than just Lahaina.  I love upcountry and the volcano, but Maui's coast and beaches are what I like best about it.  Make sure you are somewhere where you can watch the sunset on Maui, looks like it will be around 6:50 pm..  :)

We just returned from Hawaii a few weeks ago.  Here's a blog post I just finished about what we did in Hilo:

https://profcruise.com/ports-of-call-lecture-series-what-to-do-in-hilo-hawaii/

We stuck to the lush side.  It was gorgeous and we were able to see quite a bit in half a day. Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help answer.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, Beachiekeen said:

I haven't gone yet but Hilo has Volcanoes National Park and waterfalls, there is a beautiful botanical garden and some black sand beaches near the port.  Kona is good for a snorkeling excursion and there are also historic tours which will include Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park.  Lahaina is a town with art galleries, shops, restaurants, the famous Banyan tree, and also has the Old Lahaina Luau which is thought to be one of the best in Hawaii.  Snorkeling is also very good on Maui, second only to the Big Island, if that interests you.  Since you will be in Lahaina overnight, you could venture away from the town to the beaches for a beach day or drive upcountry to Haleakala, Maui's dormant volcano.  If you are open to renting a car on Maui and driving, you could see much more than just Lahaina.  I love upcountry and the volcano, but Maui's coast and beaches are what I like best about it.  Make sure you are somewhere where you can watch the sunset on Maui, looks like it will be around 6:50 pm..  🙂

I recommend buying the Hawaii tri-park pass. Even with the price increase it is great value. ($50 annual pass) It allows the driver and their carload access to the 3 National Parks.

volcano national park in Hilo 

Pu’uhonua O Honaunau in Kona 

Haleakala in Maui 

all are different and special in their own way

Edited by lamchops