Norway Fjords

roadmaster

Hi, hoping this query is in right area. We are an Aussie couple looking at numerous cruise in June/July 2020. We have sailed once with Oceania to Alaska in 2017 and the Radiance, Hawaii- Sydney 2012.

We are looking now at Northern Europe and the fjords along Norway which is offered by obviously numerous companies. If we are going all that way we would like to think we are going try and select the best itinerary and hopefully someone out there may offer some opinions.

Understanding there are bigger boats on offering, we were spoilt with Oceania and looking at that size ship for this cruise. We really are pushing our budget to do this as we will have a road trip around Scotland for 3 weeks either pre or post this cruise so would like to get it as right as possible. Here are some itineraries you may like to comment on. From our initial research it would appear Geiranger would be a highlight in any trip but would like to be assured we are going to see fjords in the case this place is not on one of the stops.

My thoughts on Oceania - PROS - could tour Scotland prior and fly or ferry to Dublin. Like the idea of 32 days. Like the idea of going as far north and Keil canal. Good on board credits as well as bonus for sailing again with them CONS - need to be assured that we see fjords.

Oceania 22nd July 32 days

Dublin, London, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Kiel canal, Wismar, Cruising, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg 2 nights, Tallinn, Cruising ,Copenhagen, Cruising, Alesund Trondheim, Cruising, Hammerfest,

Murmansk, Cruising,Solovetsky Is, Archangel, Cruising, Honningsvaag, Cruising, Kristiansand, Flam, Bergen, Stavanger, Cruising, London.

My thoughts on Crystal  -  PROS includes Geiranger,  all inclusive apart from land tours CONS cruise length shorter for a bit more money, 3 days in St Petersburg??? Would have to fly back to Scotland. (no big deal)

Crystal  - 19th June. 25 Days

London, Cruising, Bergen, Geiranger, Cruising, Lofoten/Gravdal, Tromso, Honninsvaag, Cruising, Cruising, Flam, Stavanger, Oslo, Oslo, Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Berlin, Cruising, Gdynia, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Stockholm.

My thoughts on Silversea - PROS good itinerary. All inclusive apart from tours

CONS - shorter cruise, more cost less time, 3 nights in St Petersburg??

Silversea 20th July 24 days

London, London, Keil canal, Cruising, Riga, Cruising, Cruising, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Cruising, Copenhagen, 

Copenhagen, Oslo, Oslo, Cruising, Flam, Gudvangen, Alesund,

Trondheim, Andalsnes, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Bergen, Cruising, London, London.

My thoughts on Viking - PROS good length cruise, well priced. Includes Geiranger.

CONS - 3 nights in Bergen, last 7 days are with UK waters!!!

Viking June 14th or reverse June 29th ...29 Days

Stockholm, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Cruising, Gdansk, Berlin, Copenhagen, Alford, Stavanger, Eidford, Bergen, Bergen, Bergen, Geiranger, Molde, Cruising,

Tromso, Honningsvaag, Lofoten, Cruising, Lerwick,

Kirkwall, Edinburgh, Cruising, London, London.

Thanks for any thought or opinions.

Edited by roadmaster
Email notification option.

The Kiel Canal (and Corinth Canal) is on my bucket list, so I would go for the Oceania regatta cruise of 32 days.. Second would be the Silversea cruise.  And there is plenty to see in St. Petersburg over three days.  EM

2 hours ago, roadmaster said:

Hi, hoping this query is in right area.

An even better place is the Ports of Call/Europe/Northern Europe forum, where Norway fjords cruises are a frequent subject of discussions.  In fact, one of the very helpful posters in that forum has recently started a thread geared to planning just such a cruise.

Edited by Turtles06