Suggestions for PV for disabled traveler?

azuremonkey

Our stops are CSL and PV. We have an excursion picked out for CSL, but thing seems to be a good fit for me for PV. Most of the excursions are too strenuous for me. If we can't find a good excursion, then we would like to see the city at least. The main problem is that if there's a lot of walking required, I would need to bring my mobility scooter.

I would love to go down to the Malecon and check that area out, but I don't think I can get my scooter into a taxi or on a bus. Is it too far for my group to walk/scooter down to there?

Or can anyone recommend any good excursions in PV that are not strenuous where we can see some of the main sites?

Yes, it would be too far to "walk" your scooter to the Malecon.  From the port to the Malecon is just over 3 miles and the sidewalks, while passable for a scooter, would take some maneuvering at a few places (I walk every inch of these same walkways every day).  I am no expert on scooters and have no clue as to your particular model, but the question would be can you fold it in a way that it would fit into a taxi trunk?   The Malecon is relatively scooter-friendly although there are some shops that might not be accessible.   Our city has installed ramps on most of the sidewalks.

To put things into perspective, from the beginning of the Malecon (across the street from the Rosita Hotel) to the pedestrian bridge that takes you over the Rio Cujale into the Old Town area is about 7/10 of a mile.  Once in the Old Town/Romantic Zone, things become a little more of a challenge for a scooter.  But it is doable...although you would certainly need to make some compromises where you go.

Hank

18 hours ago, azuremonkey said:

Our stops are CSL and PV. We have an excursion picked out for CSL, but thing seems to be a good fit for me for PV. Most of the excursions are too strenuous for me. If we can't find a good excursion, then we would like to see the city at least. The main problem is that if there's a lot of walking required, I would need to bring my mobility scooter.

I would love to go down to the Malecon and check that area out, but I don't think I can get my scooter into a taxi or on a bus. Is it too far for my group to walk/scooter down to there?

Or can anyone recommend any good excursions in PV that are not strenuous where we can see some of the main sites?

We just did a 7 hour (or so) catamaran sail to do whale watching primarily (plus snorkeling and some nice scenic views).  The boat left from a dock very close to the ship (so minimal walking) plus if you sit on the lower level you should be fine.  The crew is EXCELLENT and bring drinks and snacks around to you at your seat - I am sure they would be a big help to you as well.

It was on a Holland America tour - Whales, Snorkeling and Mar. Islands.

15 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We just did a 7 hour (or so) catamaran sail to do whale watching primarily (plus snorkeling and some nice scenic views).  The boat left from a dock very close to the ship (so minimal walking) plus if you sit on the lower level you should be fine.  The crew is EXCELLENT and bring drinks and snacks around to you at your seat - I am sure they would be a big help to you as well.

It was on a Holland America tour - Whales, Snorkeling and Mar. Islands.

I am in Puerto Vallarta now for the winter and come here every winter for over 3 months with my Travelscoot.   I stay in the Hotel zone and would not attempt to go downtown on my scooter.   Many of the sidewalks do not have a cut-out and I have to get off my scooter and lift it down onto the road and then back up again at other side of the street.   There are holes and rough areas so you have to watch the pavement constantly.   It is not really scooter friendly.  (A couple of years ago the front wheel of my scooter lodged in the opening of a grate,they are all over the place, and I went right over my handlebars onto the ground.   Had a lot of cuts and bruises and a black eye etc.  No broken bones thankfully.

Uber does not have any vehicle big enough for my scooter but there are Toyota Avanza's that I can fit my scooter into without much trouble.   Mine only weighs about 14 kg or 32 lbs.

Once you are on the Malecon it's great to be on your scooter.   There is a lane marked for bicycles but pedestrians don't seem to see the signs and stroll in that area.  During the day it's not too crowded and you would not have any problems.   The only issue is getting to the Malecon and if you can lift the scooter into a van or SUV  to get there and back to the port.  Not too many of the stores are accessible but you can window shop and enjoy the pedestrian only  Malecon and ocean views and wonderful statues etc.  There are numerous restaurants all along the Malecon but again not too many that are accessible.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to help.    Just post here and I will watch for any questions and try to answer them.