Solo Parent First time with Carnival

Sparklecruiser86

Hi 👋

I have cruised  with my recently ex partner and our son since he was tiny . However this October will be my first cruise as a solo parent, onboard Horizon in the Caribbean ( first time in this destination and with Carnival  😀) .

Any tips or hints for travelling solo with a child ? My DS is 10 . Wondering about dining as I would feel uncomfortable dinning on a large table with families as it may be difficult with it being our first trip alone . Unsure how easy a table for 2 to get with Carnival ? Also is it strange to have a cocktail on my own ... dressing the solo traveller tag . 

Sorty for the lengthy post, but any advice appreciated.

TIA😀

Hi,

Even when I cruise with DH I sometimes go to a bar alone to get a drink!

It is not unusual.

I would think that dining alone with your 10 year old would be less fun than sitting at a table with other people that also have children. They may be single parents too.

Even if they are not single parents, in this day and age being alone with your child is not some sort of stigma! It is only in your mind that being solo with your son is something out of the norm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi 👋 

yes you you are probably right , I am sure it will be fine . Like you said it just isn’t the norm for us. I have lots of solo parent friends that travel with their children alone . I just don’t want to end up myself on a table with 1 family , perhaps if it was maybe 2 families it might be okay and quite fun . Just hoping he will pop off to kids club so I can have some my time lol 😂 

Oh, you're going to have a blast!! My eleven-year-old son is my travel companion/partner in crime! Every time we cruise, it's together, just the two of us. He doesn't like the kids club, so I don't make him go. On sea days, we go in the pool and hot tubs, do water slides, participate in trivia, mini-golf, bean bag toss, and play blackjack together on an open deck or our balcony. We love the comedy clubs in the evenings, too. He makes us sit right in the front row and we always get "picked on". It's hilarious. As far as cocktails, don't feel weird at all. A lot of parents, single or not, have drinks in their hands. No biggie. I typically get a bottle of wine in the MDR and save what I don't drink. I've never wondered what people must think. Probably doesn't look good, but oh well. :) My son is shy, so we do my time dining and get a table for two. We usually play hangman or other silly table games since dinner lasts kinda long for a kid. I think it'd be great to dine with other famiies but I agree, it might be a bit uncomfortable to sit with one family, at least on the first night. 

Beach days are a bit tricky because it's hard to go in the water when you have your "stuff". I bring the absolute minimum and take one of those water-proof packs for phone, money, and ID..and put it around my waist. It's a hassle, but I'm used to it. Otherwise, I'm too obsessed with keeping my eye on our beach chairs.

If your little guy is shy like mine, I usually make it a point to find kids his age in the pool or hot tub and try to strike up a conversation with their parents so my son will feel more comfortable playing with the kids. It eases his shyness and we both make new friends. 

You will have a great time! I feel like the best bonding moments for me and my little man is always on a cruise ship. It's the best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might also want to join the Roll Call for your cruise.

Do you know how to find that on this site??

That way you can chat with folks on your cruise before you go.

Maybe you'll find someone with a child your son's age and he can chat too.

You can handle the beach issue but hanging out with others and taking turns watching stuff.

I often travel alone without DH and I have always found someone to help me on a beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only cruise with my son (since he was 5) and twice on Carnival so far. We have always been seated just the two of us on Carnival, I'm not sure why. He loves to cruise, especially all the different foods he can try. He likes the kids club on Carnival, but not on Royal (not sure why). I do sometimes have time to myself onboard and will go to Serenity or if we have a balcony just hang out there, I will stop to get a drink on my way 🙂  We were seated with another family on one of our Royal cruises and it was ok, the kids were about my son's age and they actually didn't come to dinner most nights. I wouldn't worry about it too much, do you have set time dining or my time? If it's My Time they will probably ask if you want to sit alone or with others. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies.

My son loves cruising . We done our first when he was 4 and it is honestly fab for kids. I’m just so use to having another adult so not having to worry about nipping away to leave our things . We are on anytime dining so it should be easier I guess to get a table for 2. He actually loves the main dining and having a “special dinner”

@MamatoJack serenity sounds like s great idea for some down time . Funny you mention royal kids clubs , my son was the same on independence last year , he just wasn’t keen on the clubs . He wanted to just stay in the pool all day lol 

@riffatsea thanks for the roll call tip ! I’m in a b2b do doing the full 14 nights. Hopefully lots of time for him to make friends 👫

@shellster1 the waterproof pouch sounds like a great idea and admittedly not one I had thought off. I love the shows too. We are super excited 😆 I think I will nust need to plan a little more for this one .

I just want to add one more thing.  I'm married and we cruise as a family at least once a year.  However, DS and I also cruise once a year just the two of us.  DH is self-employed and doesn't like to take off as much as DS and I like to vacation.  I tried taking my son's buddy but my son prefers it to be just the two of us.  He's now 16 and we are going on our first 8 day for the two of us in May.  He doesn't do the clubs as he decided around 12 that the clubs was not for him.  So its just the two of us and we have a blast.  I'm surprised he still enjoys doing this with mom.  Like Poster Shellster1, we do it all together.  For starters, I send the Matre De an email about 2 weeks before requesting a private table for just the two of us and it has always been granted.  We tried sitting with others and we prefer just the two of us.  We have a ball at dinner ordering as much food as we want and trying out new things.  We love Karaoke, all the games (bean bag toss, Hasbro Games like Human Size Jinga & Sorry), all the trivia games, all the shows in the theatre, comedy clubs, deck parties, water slides, mini-golf, gym, human size chest and checkers on the different decks, the video arcade, dive in movies, we book various excursions (mainly to the beach) and then every night when we get back to cabin after the comedy show or theatre show, its pizza, wings & a movie.  Its usually about 10:30 or so and we order room service and then watch one of the TV movies until we fall asleep.  You will have a blast and bond with your DS and maybe like us, make this a yearly thing.

• Like 3

Our last cruise was June 2018 and it feels like it was ages ago . So I was nervous to book this one , but after posting on this forum I’m feeling super excited . I work a lot so family holiday time is really important, so I’m hoping that he will enjoy it just bring the two of us . I am sure it will be one our thing and perhaps he can pick up a few cruises with his dad too . Perks of seperstion for a child , two lots of holidays lol Really excited to try Carnival too , I have heard great things . Thank you for taking the time to post @Kermarkim

For what it's worth, if you like beer you can order it from room service if it makes you uncomfortable to be out and about with a drink. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and enjoy each other's company tremendously! All best wishes!