Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi Bruce,

I know just how you're going with last minute work problems - in the past I have gone straight from work to the airport a couple of times :eek: Glad those times are over - makes for more relaxed start to a holiday.

Hope you'll have a great time - we'll be on the Gemini on Aug 5 (first time, after 6 Virgo trips). And have just booked Sun Princess out of Fremantle for June 2008 (cruising without having to fly anywhere :D)

Kuldalai - glad you're enjoying cruise - we have friends from WA on board too. I'm looking forward to the four hours to Ho Chi Minh City on our 17 June cruise - any idea whether this cruise is fully booked?

Bruce hope your computers behave themselves today and you don't have to work over the weekend. Have a wonderful cruise and we look forward to your review/comments on the trip/ship etc.

Boeckli - we're looking at Sun Princess too May/June - yes it will be so nice to drive to Fremantle and for once not pay so much for airfares and try to keep within the 20kg allowance!

Vera

Boeckli - we're looking at Sun Princess too May/June - yes it will be so nice to drive to Fremantle and for once not pay so much for airfares and try to keep within the 20kg allowance!

Vera

Vera - the trip up the river to HCM City is really great. It's quite a curving river and at times seemed not all that wide (especially being on a large ship like the Virgo). At one stage we had to actually back out to let an oncoming floating dock pass by (captain said later it had all been pre-arranged to meet somewhere appropriate but the other party obviously did not stick by that :eek: - quite an experience ...)

Yes, cruising from Freo will be nice - we still have to drive up to Perth from the South Coast though but you cant have everything ;)

Hi all,

We are having a lovely time so far. Bit of a storm last night which was a pleasant change from the heat.

Singapore power adaptor is the go for those still concerned to bring the right one.

Kuldalai, give me a ring if you want to catch up, 3104, can't remember which cabin you are or I could ring you. Gemini Bar 6.30pm almost without fail.

Captain's Dinner last night, didn't go, couldn't be bothered with the pomp, but from the photos today, some pax only in collared shirt, so maybe on the next leg.

We are about to begin our sail up the Saigon River to HCMC, so can't dally much longer.

We have a safe in our cabin, and we are the cheap seats, so I imagine all would have.

We are one pax less than when we sailed. Unfortunately there was a death in the early hours of yesterday morning, but he would have died a happy man. Apparently he was getting into the party at the Bangkok sail away and it must have been too much for him. Very sad all the same.

Duty free, haven't seen any confiscated, we brought 6 cans beer back on board from Pattaya. Many I have spoken to have some with them too. I know of 2 pax with irons as well!!

Can't remember anything else I need to mention. Bruce, have a good flight, see you soon.

Must get up on deck, this room is rather stuffy.

Stay well........

Tracey.

Hi all,

We are having a lovely time so far. Bit of a storm last night which was a pleasant change from the heat.

Singapore power adaptor is the go for those still concerned to bring the right one.

Kuldalai, give me a ring if you want to catch up, 3104, can't remember which cabin you are or I could ring you. Gemini Bar 6.30pm almost without fail.

Captain's Dinner last night, didn't go, couldn't be bothered with the pomp, but from the photos today, some pax only in collared shirt, so maybe on the next leg.

We are about to begin our sail up the Saigon River to HCMC, so can't dally much longer.

We have a safe in our cabin, and we are the cheap seats, so I imagine all would have.

We are one pax less than when we sailed. Unfortunately there was a death in the early hours of yesterday morning, but he would have died a happy man. Apparently he was getting into the party at the Bangkok sail away and it must have been too much for him. Very sad all the same.

Duty free, haven't seen any confiscated, we brought 6 cans beer back on board from Pattaya. Many I have spoken to have some with them too. I know of 2 pax with irons as well!!

Can't remember anything else I need to mention. Bruce, have a good flight, see you soon.

Must get up on deck, this room is rather stuffy.

Stay well........

Tracey.

Hi Tracey,

thanks for the up-to-the-minute report. Enjoy your river trip.

Thanks for safe info (kuldalai mentioned something about key deposit ???) I must say reports of pax with irons is a worry - security appears to be lacking, which is unusual for Singapore.

Hope the weather stays good for you and you continue to have a great time. :)

Hi all,

Good news the system is back up and I’ve finished my Stocktake, so don’t have to work on the weekend, Bl..dy IT Help Desk, another “oxymoron”!:rolleyes:

Anyway good to hear from all the lucky people on Gemini, having a good time, but sad to hear you lost one, I could think of worse ways to go.

Which triggered a weird thought process, I wonder if you passed away overseas, when they ship you back to Aus, would you still be entitled to your two bottles of Duty Free?;)

So will catch up with you lot soon, got the Granddaughters 3rd birthday party tomorrow, it’s a “Fairy Party”, don’t know what Boompah is supposed to get dressed up in, but there will be no photos to show, that’s for sure!:p

Regards, Bruce

Hi all,

First let me say that I am so happy that all of "our community" who are currently aboard Gemini are having a great time. Keep it going!

And to all the soon to be Gemini cruisers, I hope your time will be just as great.

I am attaching some photos of Executive Suites with Balcony. Being that this board only allows 5 attachments at one time, I will make another post with the final photos. Hope you like it.

75866144_BalconySuitelivingroom.jpg.36c77ed2d721b7a74c3f809dc8da0844.jpg

98117733_BalconySuite.jpg.dd974e873b07d4c8f615d00168b4831f.jpg

292638310_Livingareaofabalconysuite.jpg.4b8ef49011981badead32d5386637f9f.jpg

1512111835_Anotherbalconysuite.jpg.0090298e1048e62708d8c75b60564bbd.jpg

The first 2 photos are of Junior Suites. One is forward facing overlooking the bow and the other is what I call an "angle" junior suite due to its location.

The final 2 photos are a Balcony Suite. This Suite was redone when Gemini was sailing in Korea. I happen to like it.

Best,

Mike

P.S. Last 2 photos to follow.

109_0908_1.jpg.9c457feaafe9d8293d4af9ee3ecbc457.jpg

109_0904_1.jpg.6e4eaf4ce9ddc9e2a706fb07cd9514b0.jpg

109_0902_1.jpg.4079378edd1235ae177dab2f3da12f01.jpg

109_0903_1.jpg.d42e58e11c865e52387357099290c218.jpg

Ok, so here are the last 2 photos. This is an Executive Suite without balcony. It is like an apartment/flat. Nice long counter by the window, a seperate bedroom and a cool Bar Area. Although there is no balcony, the VIP's seem to prefer this Suite above all others.

By the way, this is the only Suite onboard Gemini that has a real wood floor.

Hope you all enjoyed the photos.

Happy cruising everyone!

Mike

109_0912_1.jpg.d1476fbbe1617cc810f30c04982d9f38.jpg

109_0913_1.jpg.5ccfb63da9eb637fbec7b466e7625f65.jpg

All you lucky people on board Gemini! Makes me wish I'd selected the May sailing instead of July. Love to be there right now instead of waiting another 50 days before we fly to HK. But then again when you are all home with nothing more than great memories I will actually be doing it all. What comes around goes around.

Have a great time. I look forward to reading all the reports.

Ps

Did the Vietnam visa question ever get resolved? My TA has charged me for visas and courier fees to get them delivered and now is not sure if she can get them or not. She thinks we might have to wait 'till onboard Gemini in HK.

Bset wishes

Frank

Hi Mike - lovely photos - have friends from Perth currently on their thirtysomething cruise with Star and have one of those suites - must ask them which one they prefer!

Bruce - glad you were able to 'close up shop' on Friday, enjoy the granddaughter's birthday party today - mine's tomorrow ..

Dicky Beach - my TA said to take passport photos for Vietnam visa which is done on board as a group visa. Will be interesting to see which TA has given the correct advice. Even going to St Petersburg last year the visas were done as a group, didn't even need photos there but had to get ppts stamped first time off the ship.

Boeckli - glad you've booked the 11 June cruise - we're still wavering as I'm also dreaming of a river cruise in Europe next year.

Vera

Did the Vietnam visa question ever get resolved? My TA has charged me for visas and courier fees to get them delivered and now is not sure if she can get them or not. She thinks we might have to wait 'till onboard Gemini in HK.

Bset wishes

Frank

What do you mean "she is not sure ....". To do your own visas would involve competing an application form, then sending passport, photos and payment to the Vietnam embassy in Australia (at least that's what we did in 2003). So if she's charged you, then that's probably what should happen. We paid A$70 pp at the time I think. When I booked the Gemini cruise last week, the TA checked and advised me that group visa could be done onboard (need to take photos) for cost of A$30 pp. Less hassle and cheaper too :).

Hope the current cruisers can shed some more light on that subject.

mine's tomorrow ..

Celebrating B4 your birthday is considered unlucky :confused:

Boeckli - glad you've booked the 11 June cruise - we're still wavering as I'm also dreaming of a river cruise in Europe next year.

Vera

River cruise in Europe would obviously be very nice as well. We did just a 1 day on the Danube in Austria in Oct 1999 - very enjoyable. It was the last sailing of the season and the trees had started turning colour in some areas - beaut weather and all :D

You could always do both .... ;)

My wife was diagnosed an insulin dependant diabetic TODAY. We are due to join the Gemini at Hong Kong in July and am a bit concerned about the storage of her insulin in cabins that have no fridge. Any one out there with some advice on how we can overcome this would be really appreciated.

HELP

Frank

Hi Frank,

So sorry to hear about your wife's condition, but thankfully it is controllable and she should be just fine.

Now regarding the refrigerator issue, as soon as you board Gemini, go immediately to Reception and tell them that your wife uses insulin that must be kept refrigerated. They will handle this for you and you should have absolutely no problems.

If you have booked through a TA, you can advise him/her to contact Star Cruises and tell them of this issue. The report will be sent to the Gemini before you board.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry.

Best,

Mike

Great photos of the suites on Gemini Mike. Seeing you're such an expert do you have any of balcony suites on Virgo? I'm booked to go in December. And BTW any opinions about whether Gemini or Virgo is the better ship? Just for futre reference in case I get hooked and want to go on gemini next time.

Hi Frank,

I am glad that you can rest easier now. Really, there will be no problems for you and your wife.

Hi furballperth, unfortunately all my photos of Suites onboard Virgo are pre-digital and I do not have any scanned.

As to which is the better ship, Virgo or Gemini, well, they are both excellent, but in different ways. One is not better than the other. Virgo is large and has many amenities, while Gemini is smaller and more intimate. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I can highly recommend both ships. For me it's a coin toss. I'd be very happy with either.

Best,

Mike

Hi Every-one

I went on the Gemini years ago with out kids and am going again in January but just me and my 7 and 9 year old.

I have worked myself up into quite a state worried about them falling over board and having nothing to keep them occupied.

Has anyone travelled with children this age that can give me some piece of mind?

Thanks

:(

Hi All

I am leaving on September 16th on the Ultimate Adventurer 1 for 14 day trip on the Gemini out of Singapore. Has anyone got any tips for me on shopping in the ports of call, also is the night entertainment good on the ship, what is the required dress code in reality, can excusions be booked from the ship or is it better from the islands, any advice on money ie: plastic vs cash. Where do the ships berth in the locations and is it better to do the cruise tours or do your own thing.

I am travelling with my partner and we like dancing and activity. We have been top Asia before a few times but this is our first cruise.

We are also arriving 4 days before the cruise and staying another day on arrival back then back to Melbourne.

Hope to hear from someone.

Cheers

Les

quote.gif

Hi RB35 - I've never heard of young children 'falling overboard' but I would make it quite clear that they do not climb on the railings and keep an eye on them! Being January school holidays I would think there would be a few other children.

Larger ships we've been on have good kids' programs, not sure what facilities Gemini has for children that young but will have a look when on board next month.

Vera

Hi Riviera30 and welcome to the Gemini board.

I am sure that you will find most of the answers to your questions already contained within the pages on this thread. Try and take some time out and read from Page 1.

Gemini is really a super ship with lots of repeat cruisers so any further queries will surely be answered by those just coming or going.

Cheers

Hi Cinnabel

Thanks for the reply.

We are both 50 yr young and very active at going out dancing and enjoying places. I gather that evening wear is a minimum dress code for ladies at night and collared shirts for men. Is a suit needed or sports jacket on most nights or will the shirt and trousers be fine.

How many cruises and when have you been.

we are so looking forward and counting down the days. We pay our final amount on the 13th June.

cheers

Les