Which cruise terminal in Athens?

flahagan

We will be on the Jade in Athens Aug. 4 of this year and plan to take the express bus X80 into town.  It would help to know which terminal NCL uses , A or B.  Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has experience getting into Athens this way.

Thanks.

Cruise Ships generally dock at the new passenger terminal, one mile from the city of Piraeus and 8 miles from Athens.  There are 3 terminals a-c less than 1/2 mile apart.  You should be arriving at terminal A at 6 am and departing at 8 pm.  "Wind Surf" will be in the same terminal about an hour behind you and "Vision of the Seas" will be docking in Terminal C also at 6 am.

Here is a guide with interactive maps and port info:  https://www.whatsinport.com/Piraeus-Athens.htm

I have not taken the express bus itself but some other options in case you might be interested. 

I have taken the train a couple of times which is not too far of a walk from the port and was very quick.

Also I  have done the Hop on Hop off bus before which was nice as it picked up just outside the port gates. If I recall correctly it was the same general area as the express bus.

Next trip to Athens (May) I will be travelling with two aunts who have not been to this port before, planning on the HoHo bus again. Once in the city DIY at the Acropolis using the Rick Steve’s audio guide on our phones and then depending on time checking out some other highlight stops as we make are way back to Piraeus and the ship.

There is also a free walking tour of the city that might be of interest.

Lots of great options.

Rochelle

I’ve been to Athens 3 times by cruise ship and most recently on the NCL Spirit. I took a private tour the first time to see the Parthenon, agora, museum and the acropolis area. We used a company called “Athen walks” and they charged the four of us 180€ for the guide (4hrs) and 50€ for the Mercedes (George) pickup and drop off. We paid the guide after the tour (she refused a tip) and got us into the museum (price included) and showed us where the driver would be waiting. We paid the driver after dropping us off at the port. 

The last 2 times we took the X80 bus. The ticket booth is near the port “car” exit.  Once to syntagma square to watch the changing of the guards before seeing other things in the area. The second time we got off at the acropolis stop by Hadrian’s arch before going to the Panathenaic stadium. Using Google Maps or a similar program makes it quite easy to get around when you’re in the area.

Here’s a big tip for you as all cruise passengers seem to head back to the ship approximately 1-2 hours before all aboard. If there’s a lot of people awaiting for the X80’s return trip at the acropolis stop, walk up to Syntagma Square or cross the street and catch the bus where they dropped off the Acropolis visitors (Hadrian’s Arch) and do the loop back to where everyone is waiting. This way you’ll get on for sure and any elders can get one of the few seats on the X80. Just make sure you flag him down as you’ll be the only ones on that side of the street waiting for the X80 at that time of day.

Edited by lamchops

Thanks everyone for the excellent information - it is much appreciated.  Visigoth, we arrive at 7 AM and depart at 7 PM, not quite as long a stay as what you wrote but still pretty good for a day in port.