European Cruise - what lens to take

tommui987

Planning on a European cruise which will take me to Norway and ending up in Rome.

I plan to take two camera bodies - both Sony A6300s and thinking of taking Sonys 10-18mm, 18-135mm and 70-300mm - the latter for close-ups in churches and architectural details.  But I keep on wondering whether I should take along the 8mm Rokinon and a (Sony) 35mm, 50mm and/or 85mm instead of the zoom 18-135mm.

Of course if the A7000 is released (or A6400 is REALLY worthwhile, the bodies may change!

Not going till September - any thoughts on this?

Edited by tommui987
word missing

I've been on five European cruises.  I've found that in most cases we are moving quickly and I do not have time to change lenses.  As a result I purchased a Tamron 18 - 400, which takes care of about 90 percent of my needs and reduces the weight of what I carry around.  I do keep other lenses (and other cameras) in the cabin for use around the ship.

19 hours ago, tommui987 said:

Planning on a European cruise which will take me to Norway and ending up in Rome.

I plan to take two camera bodies - both Sony A6300s and thinking of taking Sonys 10-18mm, 18-135mm and 70-300mm - the latter for close-ups in churches and architectural details.  But I keep on wondering whether I should take along the 8mm Rokinon and a (Sony) 35mm, 50mm and/or 85mm instead of the zoom 18-135mm.

Of course if the A7000 is released (or A6400 is REALLY worthwhile, the bodies may change!

Not going till September - any thoughts on this?

Based on my recent trim to the Caribbean, you will use the 18-135 99.4% of the time on the one body and may use the fisheye on the other. I was going to recommend a 12mm Rokinon on the second body since I thought you had one, but you didn't mention it. I dragged my 70-300 along but never actually mounted it. I don't regret taking it, just that there was nothing that warranted the long view.

Dave

2 hours ago, pierces said:

Based on my recent trim to the Caribbean, you will use the 18-135 99.4% of the time on the one body and may use the fisheye on the other. I was going to recommend a 12mm Rokinon on the second body since I thought you had one, but you didn't mention it. I dragged my 70-300 along but never actually mounted it. I don't regret taking it, just that there was nothing that warranted the long view.

Dave

I think that there is more need for the long view in Europe than the Caribbean.  Here is a sample of a picture and then the zoom.

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

Edited by mskaufman

4 hours ago, pierces said:

I thought you had one (12mm Rokinon) ...

Dave:

Remind me to check the equipment before writing from the top of my head.

I have the 12mm Rokinon.

And mskaufman, there were many times in various churches, buildings etc where I really needed a long lens and only had a 105mm!

I'm always a fan of primes when I travel, even though I know it goes against conventional wisdom.

The 8mm... is just if you want that fisheye look.  The 10-18 is plenty wide enough and portable enough.

But a prime in the normal range -- You want details INSIDE churches... you'll appreciate the faster aperture of a prime. You want to go super light weight and compact at times, just go with the camera and the prime. 

My general 2-lens travel philosophy:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/01/25/the-two-lens-travel-solution/

17 hours ago, pierces said:

Dave

I learned long ago that telephoto zooms are wasted on most travel. Sure, if you are doing a safari, absolutely.

But when doing something like Europe.. I want to capture what I'm seeing with my eyes (normal focal lengths), or what I'm seeing as I turn my head (wide vistas with a wide angle).  I have no desire to capture things that I would have need binoculars to see.  I don't need a mediocre snapshot of the gargoyle at the distant top of the building, but I do want a wide angle taking in the whole building.

I'm packing a camera bag for a weekend trip to Universal Studios now. I'm bring more than I usually would for travel, partially because I'm testing out the Sony 24mm 1.4 GM.  But what I'm packing:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2019/02/12/packing-camera-gear-for-theme-park-vacation/

I am bringing telephoto -- 70-200/4, because I want to capture their "Mardi Gras" parade, though I really am questioning how much use I'll really get from the telephoto, and whether it's even worth carrying the weight. 

15 hours ago, mskaufman said:

I think that there is more need for the long view in Europe than the Caribbean.  Here is a sample of a picture and then the zoom.

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

To each their own, but I find that a good example of why I don't usually bring a telephoto on a trip like that. The wider shot is a heck of a lot more interesting than the telephoto shot. 

Last spring we went to the British Isles.  I don't think I ever took the 18-135 off my 6300.  I usually had a 35 prime on the 6000, when leaving a port and looking for dolphins I put the 24-240 on the 6000.  I did have my 10-18 on the 6000 when spending a couple days in London before the cruise and many of my favorites were taken with that combo.

enhance

But the 6300 with the 18-135 was the real workhorse (so to speak).

enhance

The prime was a new lens to me and I took it on a photo tour in Glasgow.  I learned a lot about it on that tour.

enhance

We're going to Venice and Greece early this summer.  I'll take those same lenses with me this year and expect to use them in about the same proportions. I don't really like the 24-240, but it's my longest lens now.  I'll probably just put that on for taking long shots from the ship and leave it on board when in port. 

Vic

Edited by Victress2007

JUSTIN and VIC:

Thanks - and JUSTIN, that was what I was debating - prime or zoom. During my old Nikon days, I seem to had gravitate towards my 180mm f2.8!

VIC: Great shots! I think laziness would make me use the 18mm-135mm as a primary!

Decisions, decisions, decisions ..

TOM - Laziness and the fact that it is a great lens! I think it will have enough length for most of the architectural detail you want.  I'm excited to take it to Venice.  I just can't see it being worthwhile trying to replace it with 3 separate lenses.   

I'll probably keep the 18-135 on the 6300 and probably the 35 prime in Venice on the 6000.  I'm keeping an eye on the 6400 too.

I hope you have at least a couple days in Rome - a wealth of places to take pictures!  I highly recommend the tour of the Coliseum that takes you to the 4th level and underneath the floor.  

enhance

enhance

Have I mentioned, I LOVE Italy! 

Vic

6 minutes ago, Victress2007 said:

I hope you have at least a couple days in Rome

VIC:  Planning on three-four days in Rome. Been there several years ago. If my 86-year old legs can take it, will try for the 4th and basement! Might just spend time photographing gelato stands!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My recommendation is your Sony 10-18mm, 18-135mm, and then a bright prime (either the 35 or 50) for low light pictures or a good street photo focal length. If you do bring a telephoto lens--force yourself to use it BEFORE going so you can learn to "see" photos at length. A telephoto is useful--but you do need to "look" for those shots around Europe.

The wide lens is super useful. On my trips to Europe, I find myself using the wides and the bright primes the most.

Here are some wide shots I took.

35549929_1699167056804410_576372911632285696_o.jpg

DSC05698.jpg

20 minutes ago, spthealien said:

Here are some shots that required a telephoto lens (and a stabilized camera).

Nice shots! Thank  you.

Have A6300 Sonys - so one of two isn't bad! (i.e.telephoto and stabilized camera)

Thanks!

The a6300 will work pretty well for cropping on the longer end (the Eiffel Tower was shot with a crop camera and a 70-200) so long as you don't crop too much and print too big. That being said, remember to print your stuff.