Mayahual Golf Cart Rentals

Texasgingerbread

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an FYI, there was previous talk over the years that if you are renting a golf cart and going over to the Malecon to go to the beaches, you can not drive the golf carts on the Malecon and will have to park out on the street and walk over to there. If you are not familiar with the Malecon area: there's the street, then the buildings for restaurants and shopping and hotels, then the malecon street, then the beach across that. 

On 2/22/2019 at 11:25 PM, Texasgingerbread said:

Looking for a review on this company.  Has anyone used them?  Did you enjoy your day and the free beach resorts?

What do you mean by “free resorts” - are they on the malecon or down the dirt road?

Unless you are wanting to look round Nuevo Mahahual  or go to one of the clubs out of town I have never understood the attraction for the golf carts. 

Is there somewhere else to go?

Edited by c-leg5

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:25 AM, Texasgingerbread said:

Looking for a review on this company.  Has anyone used them?  Did you enjoy your day and the free beach resorts?

It is cheaper to take a tram to the malecon and a taxi back.  No worries of parking. Faster travel.  Nothing to see really along the route.  The beach clubs aren't "resorts".  Rather specific areas of the same strip of sand with the bar housed in a small building store front.  And while you don't pay admission, you are asked to buy food and drink. Also pick out in advance which club you want to stop at so the tram driver knows.  If you get out at the first tram stop, you'll be "attacked" by droves of beach lounger hawkers trying to get you to stop at the club they are pushing.  The better clubs (food and drinks and loungers) don't use hawkers.  This board has lots of information.

18 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Unless you are wanting to look round Nuevo Mahahual  or go to one of the clubs out of town I have never understood the attraction for the golf carts. 

Is there somewhere else to go?

I don't really get this either. On the cruise I just got back from SO MANY of the people on the Facebook group were talking about how they were so excited to rent golf carts. And I was just like, "Why?"

35 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

I don't really get this either. On the cruise I just got back from SO MANY of the people on the Facebook group were talking about how they were so excited to rent golf carts. And I was just like, "Why?"

Early on in the days of Costa Maya people used to take carts to Maya Luna and I think Maya Palms and maybe some other out of  town bars. But these places are rarely mentioned these days at least on CC.

The map I saw from the rental place only showed bars on the malecon so I am not sure if you can even go down the dirt road. I have wondered about maybe using them in the new town to explore and maybe look for the old path that you used to be able to walk from the port.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Early on in the days of Costa Maya people used to take carts to Maya Luna and I think Maya Palms and maybe some other out of  town bars. But these places are rarely mentioned these days at least on CC.

The map I saw from the rental place only showed bars on the malecon so I am not sure if you can even go down the dirt road. I have wondered about maybe using them in the new town to explore and maybe look for the old path that you used to be able to walk from the port.

That makes sense if renting golf carts was something that used to be more useful than it is now.

When we were in the taxi out to Maya Chan last week, maybe about a third of the way down the dirt road, there was this little bar on the right and a big sign by it that said something like, "No Mayahual Golf Carts Beyond This Point." So, I guess you can take them down that far anyway.

Based on a thread I saw in our group after the cruise, most of the folks that rented golf carts were pretty underwhelmed by the experience. Most people didn't seem interested in doing that on a subsequent visit to Costa Maya.

18 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

That makes sense if renting golf carts was something that used to be more useful than it is now.

When we were in the taxi out to Maya Chan last week, maybe about a third of the way down the dirt road, there was this little bar on the right and a big sign by it that said something like, "No Mayahual Golf Carts Beyond This Point." So, I guess you can take them down that far anyway.

Based on a thread I saw in our group after the cruise, most of the folks that rented golf carts were pretty underwhelmed by the experience. Most people didn't seem interested in doing that on a subsequent visit to Costa Maya.

Good to know!

So after going to Costa Maya I would NOT recommend getting a golf cart.  I would just take the $8 taxi to the malecon and pick a place to plop down that has room.  Plenty of choices.  Right now with the sargassum I would opt out and do the ruins instead. 

• 6 months later...