Using a different credit card to pay for EZAir and Cruise

actnwrks

Can we pay for the cruise with one credit card and request that the air fare be charged on another card?   How would it work if we use two different airlines United/Lufthansa going and American/British Air returning?  We have credit cards and miles with both airlines, which credit card would we use?   We understand that we can’t use miles with EzAir, but would our free baggage apply, and would we earn miles with both airlines?  Thank you

28 minutes ago, actnwrks said:

Can we pay for the cruise with one credit card and request that the air fare be charged on another card?   How would it work if we use two different airlines United/Lufthansa going and American/British Air returning?  We have credit cards and miles with both airlines, which credit card would we use?   We understand that we can’t use miles with EzAir, but would our free baggage apply, and would we earn miles with both airlines?  Thank you

The CC charge for both would still from Princess if that makes a difference.

Princess pays the airline after you pay them.

Actually for the first time after using my United Club Visa card in Nov to pay for my cruise and EZ Air through Princess I received my 2 free bags per person as listed in my card benefits. In the past  when I have used my United Club Visa card this has not been the case.

• Thanks 1

Easy to use 2 different cards to pay the cruise fare & airfare.  I just did final payment on a cruise & used 2 different cards.  I use a TA and just let her know how much to charge for each (wasn't geared specifically towards the air) - I think you'd just need to let them know which card you want to use to pay each portion.  As to which one you want to get miles on - I'd pick whichever one I use the most for other travel!  :classic_cool:  When we've used EZAir in the past, we provided our FF numbers and got the miles for the flights we took.

• Thanks 1

If you check in on American or Delta, using their co-branded credit card you should be authorized the free checked bag.  They don't require that you purchase the ticket with those cards.  United does require the fare to be purchased using their card.  As Colo Cruiser stated, Princess actually  pays for the ticket using their accounts and the ticket payment is usually listed a "bulk fare". Therefore even if you paid Princess using your United Credit Card you won't see the benefits.

If your first flight on the return is on British Air you might be out of luck there as well.  If the first flight is on American (or if it is a code share with American and you can check-in with them) you will be good for the entire return trip home.

You will get miles or points on the purchase, but usually you don't get the free checked bag or early boarding

Edited by Retired_Army
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Retired_Army said:

If you check in on American or Delta, using their co-branded credit card you should be authorized the free checked bag.  They don't require that you purchase the ticket with those cards.  United does require the fare to be purchased using their card.  As Colo Cruiser stated, Princess actually  pays for the ticket using their accounts and the ticket payment is usually listed a "bulk fare". Therefore even if you paid Princess using your United Credit Card you won't see the benefits.

If your first flight on the return is on British Air you might be out of luck there as well.  If the first flight is on American (or if it is a code share with American and you can check-in with them) you will be good for the entire return trip home.

You will get miles or points on the purchase, but usually you don't get the free checked bag or early boarding

our flight out bound would be United operated by Lufthansa and our return flight would be American operated by British Air and American, does this make a difference

8 hours ago, LeeW said:

On United all I had to do was book an upgraded seat assignment with the United card to get free bags.  

Tried that and it didn't work for us, but the last time we flew United it was on a red-eye from Seattle.  On that one we bought a "package upgrade", access to their lounge, checked bag, and an upgraded seat.  It was slightly (very slightly) less than the cost of a checked bag, seat upgrade, and day pass to the club.  It was worth it to be able to relax in the club lounge prior to the late night departure.

To actwrks.  sounds like you have United tickets outbound and American on the return.  If so you should get miles on those two airlines for all segments.  Are you flying international? Those flights generally get a free bag checked depending on destination.  On your return, if you check-in at an American Airlines counter having their credit card might give you an advantage.  If you are checking in at a British Air desk, probably not.

Because DH and I each have air mile credit cards we usually just tell our TA how much of the final payment goes on each card.  That didn't work with United Cruises; they would only let us use one card which is one of the many reasons we won't be using them again.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Retired_Army said:

To actwrks.  sounds like you have United tickets outbound and American on the return.  If so you should get miles on those two airlines for all segments.  Are you flying international? Those flights generally get a free bag checked depending on destination.  On your return, if you check-in at an American Airlines counter having their credit card might give you an advantage.  If you are checking in at a British Air desk, probably not.

Thank you,  These are our first international flights.  Outgoing we were told we check in with  Lufthansa not United and the first leg of the trip is check in with BA.