Alaskan Excursions for Passenger with Heart Problems

brendaisbored

My dad has wanted to visit Alaska his whole life and I finally get to take him there at the end of May. We're doing a Northern bound sailing out of Vancouver on NCL.

Unfortunately he has congestive heart failure and his health is declining. He is fine if resting and doesn't have mobility issues except that the amount/how long he can do physical activity is limited. Even short walking distances will cause him shortness of breath if he goes too fast. He's too darn proud to get a wheelchair and as long as we take it slow, he should be fine. This means group walking activities are out. However, getting onto a bus or a boat (as long as there are seats) won't be an issue.

He's an outdoors guy and really wants to see the animals and nature that Alaska has to offer. I spent a lot of time researching excursions over the weekend but I'd love any insight or suggestions. I tried to read all of the descriptions I could to get a better idea of how hard physically different excursions would be but sometimes it's hard to gauge. I also want to make sure I get him to the best things he'd enjoy.

I'm also worried I might be trying to do too many things at our stops but most of them are fairly long and I think we can spread things out enough.

Ports:

Ketchican - Wilderness Exploration & Crab fest and then the Lumberjack Show

Juneau - Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest followed up by a tram ride and then a walk to the Red Dog Saloon (both of those on our own at our own pace)

Skagway - Whitepass Railway and then Art by Fire, Gardens & Glass

Seward - Kenai Fjords 5 hour cruise and then taking the Alaskan Railways to Anchorage

We also have most of the day in Anchorage but right now I don't have anything planned. I think the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center might be a good option but I figure we can play it by ear depending on how he's feeling.

I currently have focused on excursions through the ship because it makes me feel safer with his issues but I'm open to others with good reputations.

I really want to make this the best trip possible for him. Any feedback is appreciated.

I'm  sure he'll enjoy these tours.   But,  I would never consider your Kenai Fjords choice.   It is lacking for my preferences-  of glaciers and wildlife.   You have to have the time and distance,   meaning at least 6 hours on the water.   

I'd also be certain to have him medically cleared by his primary physician less than a month prior to departing.  

Also be sure that he does have medical coverage in Canada... the stress of flying/immigration etc. queues at airport and pier will compound the problem, and I would STRONGLY advise that you try to persuade him on the benefits of a wheelchair, at least while passing through the airport and pier (walks can be lengthy at the former depending on gate, immigration queues at both do not like dawdlers, and you may have long periods between seats - so at the very least a walker he can sit on will be of huge help). Plus, if you book a wheelchair in advance you'll get the double benefit of a) usually the shortest queues for anything, and b) where that isn't possible it's common to allow a wheelchair person to wait right at the security/immigration checkpoint for the rest of their party to wander around the Disney-esque queues and catch up.

Better to use a chair and be able to see and do more than let pride stand in the way IMO.

54 minutes ago, martincath said:

Also be sure that he does have medical coverage in Canada... the stress of flying/immigration etc. queues at airport and pier will compound the problem, and I would STRONGLY advise that you try to persuade him on the benefits of a wheelchair, at least while passing through the airport and pier (walks can be lengthy at the former depending on gate, immigration queues at both do not like dawdlers, and you may have long periods between seats - so at the very least a walker he can sit on will be of huge help). Plus, if you book a wheelchair in advance you'll get the double benefit of a) usually the shortest queues for anything, and b) where that isn't possible it's common to allow a wheelchair person to wait right at the security/immigration checkpoint for the rest of their party to wander around the Disney-esque queues and catch up.

Better to use a chair and be able to see and do more than let pride stand in the way IMO.

Yes!  This is excellent advice!  Getting through Immigration and Customs can involve long, winding lines and is tiresome even if one is in good condition.  

In Skagway, the train ought to be one he could be able to do.  Something to research, however, is where the train is in relation to the ship.  If it is not close to the ship, what transportation will the tour provide to/from the train tour?

In Juneau, the Alaska State Museum is an interesting visit and provides an overview of Alaska's history:  culturally, naturally, and politically.  It is walkable from where the ships dock, if one is in good condition.  Having a wheelchair to get there/back and enjoy the Museum:  I think your Father would require that.

In Seward, the Kenai Fjords tour plus the train transfer to Anchorage will make for a long day.

Anchorage:  the Alaskan Native Heritage Center is an interesting visit, but a wheelchair would be helpful because there is some exterior walking.  The Wildlife Conversation Center that you mentioned is not in Anchorage (if it is the one with which I am familiar).  It is located along the highway between Seward and Anchorage.  

I commend you for what you are doing for your Father!  I did something similar for my Mother who wanted to visit Hawaii.  A reprise of this effort was her final cruise for her first visit to Alaska when her heart condition was worse than she shared with me.  We tailored that cruise experience to fit her abilities and I am sure you will be just as successful in doing so for your Father.

Edited by rkacruiser

For Ketchikan, I took the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast and really enjoyed it.  Once at the lodge, there were a lot of stairs down to the lodge and boat.  They have a type of four wheeler (not sure what you would call it) to take anybody that wanted the ride down which I took.  I had to ask to have the ride back up.

I would second having a wheelchair for the Airports and the ship. We took my mom on a cruise, we borrowed a wheelchair and she used it when she was tired.  It was there when she wanted it.  The cruise line’s Special Needs Dept would help with names for companies that delivery wheelchairs and scooters direct to the cabin and pickup from the cabin.  

At the embarkment port, ask for a wheelchair and the cruise line crew will wheel him onto the ship.

For Juneau, I would not purchase the tram ticket until you get there encase the weather is not perfect for viewing.

Edited by phabric

It isn't just "Canada"  insurance you need,  your father needs  international travel insurance for the cruise ship,   along  with evacuation coverage.  

I would not suggest a wheel chair actually,   but a transfer char.   Ebay,  Craigs  List  etc  are possible sources,   along with some local organizations that may loan.   

Your claim of his low tolerance of exertion is going to present unpredictably.   Long  distances are a given on the cruise ship.   

I would strongly recommend having a wheelchair for on the ship and in ports. It's more walking than you think and he will tire easily.

Different reason, but I convinced my father to use a wheelchair so that he could do more.  To see wildlife, town, etc.  

You can rent one before you leave or have delivered to the ship.  They have lighter/more portable ones now.

Have fun.