P&O Iona

TorontoTL

P&O has often shared ship platforms with Princess and Princess often transfers its older ships to Iona.

Princess has announced two new LNG powered ships have been ordered.  Do you think they might share a platform with the new P&O Iona which is also LNG powered?

This ship has some nice features like a large covered pool, a 360* promenade deck amongst them that we have been asking Princess to bring back.

https://www.pocruises.com/global/deckplans/Iona/Iona-Deckplans-2019-20.pdf this link is for the deck plans.

image.png.33ff390e7e5d4f090f441f06bdcb3a83.png

image.png.67bac79c1437a4c42b220965ea43465f.png

There are also suites that open up so that the balcony essentially becomes part of the cabin similar to the Celebrity Edge.

This ship is being built by Meyer Werft in Germany while the new Princess ships will be built by Fincantieri in Italy so I'm guessing they won't be the same platforms.  If not, I hope Princess will use some of the ideas that the Iona will have.

When I read the news releases the Princess LNG new builds are 4,300 pax, which are smaller than the Iona and sister ship due in 2022.

Gross tonnage of the Princess LNG ships is about 175,000, which is about 9,000 tons smaller than the P&O new builds.

Therefore, I assume they are not similar platforms.

Totally agree, as being fairly similar sizes and both being Carnival Brands, I would imagine they will have much duplication in addition to the M/E plant. The Bridge layouts & equipment will also be standardised.