Recommendations for Fairbanks activities?

Czammit

We are spending an extra day in Fairbanks this May, any recommendations for things to do? We have a 19 and 22 year old with us. We were thinking river rapids or something? Any ideas out there? thanks so much.

Cindy from Maryland

You need to ride out north of town to see a section of the Alaska Pipeline.  It's a few miles but there's a small park like area with a couple displays and the pipeline is right there to see up close.  If you go on a few more miles there's the Hilltop Truck Stop.  You're on the edge of the road to Deadhorse & Coldfoot - this is the place the truckers stop at on their way to and from the far north.  They've got EXCELLENT food, you get a lot and it's not overly expensive.  I had an excellent burger and fries there just a couple weeks ago.  They have breakfast anytime and I saw some people at a nearby table having it while we were having lunch - the pancakes look like small pizzas.  

52024008_2336389579744728_2798072069793775616_o.jpg

51446909_2335267116523641_206380750600142848_o.jpg

51704687_2336389699744716_2344946611974569984_o.jpg

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Museum of the North at Univ of Alaska!!

https://www.uaf.edu/museum/

(we were in Fairbanks a couple of days and then Delta Junction with family, before driving down to Anchorage & Whittier to start a cruise back in 2007 - we did see the pipeline and we also found some old gold dredges - abandoned -that husband had seen online)

Edited by Hoyaheel

There are multiple options.   Main question-   will you have a car?  If you stay in the area-  it is necessary.  OR have an interest further north- fly in?    There aren't any "river rapids"  worth my time in Fairbanks.  :)     Are you including a Nenana River trip out of Healy/Denali?    

You need to take a look at the area and narrow down your interests.   the Fairbanks visitor guide is an excellent source.  

7 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

You need to ride out north of town to see a section of the Alaska Pipeline.  It's a few miles but there's a small park like area with a couple displays and the pipeline is right there to see up close.  If you go on a few more miles there's the Hilltop Truck Stop.  You're on the edge of the road to Deadhorse & Coldfoot - this is the place the truckers stop at on their way to and from the far north.  They've got EXCELLENT food, you get a lot and it's not overly expensive.  I had an excellent burger and fries there just a couple weeks ago.  They have breakfast anytime and I saw some people at a nearby table having it while we were having lunch - the pancakes look like small pizzas.  

52024008_2336389579744728_2798072069793775616_o.jpg

51446909_2335267116523641_206380750600142848_o.jpg

51704687_2336389699744716_2344946611974569984_o.jpg

The pipeline,  exhibits are on the Steese  Highway.     Hilltop is also noted for their pies.   

No river rapids in Fairbanks -- just float trips on the Chena River.  

In addition to the Museum of the North (on UAF) campus and the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum I would consider a day trip to the Chena Hot Springs Resort.  But "google" the Fairbanks Visitor and Convention website for a complete list of ideas -- I am typing this from a cruise ship docked in Montevideo with unstable internet so can't look it up for you.  

My wife and I are doing a cruise land tour that ends in Fairbanks at the end of May and we too are looking for thinks to do the last evening and following day before a 9:00pm flight home. We are looking at renting a car and driving to North Pole and visit Santas store and maybe drive up part of Dalton highway just to say we did a mile or two of the highway. We are thinking about a flight to Fort Yukon on the night before,  cross the arctic circle.

I like the idea of stopping at the truck stop for lunch. We used to watch the show Ice road truckers and wanted to do Dalton highway for that reason yet dont care to drive that far especially in a rental car.

John & Judy

2 hours ago, rtrider said:

My wife and I are doing a cruise land tour that ends in Fairbanks at the end of May and we too are looking for thinks to do the last evening and following day before a 9:00pm flight home. We are looking at renting a car and driving to North Pole and visit Santas store and maybe drive up part of Dalton highway just to say we did a mile or two of the highway. We are thinking about a flight to Fort Yukon on the night before,  cross the arctic circle.

I like the idea of stopping at the truck stop for lunch. We used to watch the show Ice road truckers and wanted to do Dalton highway for that reason yet dont care to drive that far especially in a rental car.

John & Judy

Arctic Outfitters in Fairbanks (behind the airport on University Ave) rents vehicles specifically equipped to drive on the Dalton Highway. They have two spare tires, a large toolbox full of things you *might* need if you have a breakdown, a big first aid kit (hopefully you would never need that) and a CB radio.  They'll have all-terrain truck tires on an all-wheel-drive Ford Escape or similar. You could easily do a round trip to the Arctic Circle AND see some interesting (sometimes stark, sometimes beautiful) scenery along the way for what the plane trip would cost - though it would be ALL DAY, not just a few hours. I love the remoteness.

Coldfoot.jpg

Pump Station No. 5.jpg

Koyukuk River.jpg

Grayling Lake.jpg

Stark.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BullyLvr said:

Wow I can’t believe  none of you have mentioned the most amazing thing to do while in Fairbanks yet!   Check out Running Reindeer Ranch. https://runningreindeer.com/

We went in May 2017 and it was one of the most enjoyable and unique “excursions” ever.  

C2A98D27-360C-49B3-850C-59C14AB61CF7.jpeg

Wow, I haven't heard about this place at all, and now I want to go!