Celebrity "Air to Sea" Program

Talldkny

We have used Celebrity's "Air to Sea" program to book our one way flights on our past 6 Trans Atlantic crossings.  We have gotten some excellent airfares using this service.  We are currently booked on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise in October on the Constellation.  We will  only need a one way airfare as we are taking a transatlantic sailing on another ship back to the states.  We have been tracking flights on "Air to Sea."  They have recently changed significantly.  TAP went from $162 to $600.  A direct flight out of Miami on Ailitalia went from $320 to over $500.0.  I understand airfares will fluctuate and go up.  I have never seen such a price increase this far out.  Has anyone else recently experienced this issue.  Thank You

I see it often.    All seats on airlines are generally capacity limited and when last seat in that booking code is sold out the prices jump up to the next lowest price.   If you play around with it you will find different prices on different dates.   Keep looking or from what I understand they have recently switched to a new program where you don't pay until final payment and if the fare decreases you can call in and get that rate.

Contact Air to Sea directly. They’re having problems with their website (I know, shocking). Our price dropped over 60% over what was on the website when I talked to an agent

On 3/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I see it often.    All seats on airlines are generally capacity limited and when last seat in that booking code is sold out the prices jump up to the next lowest price.   If you play around with it you will find different prices on different dates.   Keep looking or from what I understand they have recently switched to a new program where you don't pay until final payment and if the fare decreases you can call in and get that rate.

Thanks for your reply.  Speaking to others they think it may have to do with the grounding of the 737 Max aircrafts.  It makes sense since the prices jumped up right after the crash.  I have been using the service for years and never have seen such a big price increase this far out from the sailing.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, Talldkny said:

I understand airfares will fluctuate and go up.  I have never seen such a price increase this far out. 

Supply and demand.  If the demand for flights goes up significantly over what the airline (or cruiseline) anticipated, prices will rise.  Likewise, if supply for flights goes down more than what the airline anticipated, prices will rise.  Someone mentioned the grounding of the MAX 8 aircraft, which would indicate a decrease in supply.  Or it could simply be that the prior prices were so good that a lot of people finally took the plunge on booking their airfare, hence increasing demand, and prices went up in response.