Jennifer Smiths lawyers to board ship to investigate

Royal caribbean International Statement Regarding the Visit to Brilliance of the Seas by Smith Representatives

MIAMI, Jan. 20

Royal Caribbean has cooperated fully with all investigating authorities from the moment the company discovered Mr. George Smith's disapperance.

The company continues to be concerned that the release of so much information about this case has the effect of making the FBI's investigation more difficult, and that view has ben repeatedly expressed by not only our company and others but also the FBI as recently as today.

Nevertheless, the company has decided to permit attorneys and investigators for the Smith family and Jennifer Hagel Smith to visit the ship on Monday, Janurary 23, with the hope that they will honor the concerns about maintaining the confidentiality and the intergrity of the FBI's investigation.

The company has noted the attorneys' and investigators' request to throw objects over the balcony of the Smiths' cabin. Due to the fact that the ship is in service with guest onboard, the company cannot permit this activity at this time. However, the company is willing to discuss this activity under different circumstances sometime in the future.

Attribution: Lynn Martenstein

Vice President, Corporate Communications

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Then by all means dont read them. Some people are interested. Dont shoot the messenger. Last time I checked this board was about sharing information.

I am glad you are retired, because with that attitude its a wonder some people dont respects cops. Did you rough anyone up because they said something you didnt like? Then dont do it here. And before you say I am a cop hater, well my father was a cop for 25 years, my uncle is a sitting sherrif for the past 24 years in addition to another uncle and two cousins.

P.S. This press release was put out yesterday, if this particular one has already been posted then my apologies. But if people were not interested then they would have died out already right? And you want them to go away so bad, why do you keep posting on them?

Ok, let's settle down - let's not get personal. A suggestion for Cruise-Critic: since this is such a "hot" topic, why not start one thread where everyone posts to that thread only to discuss this.

Since I'm involved in investigations in my job (albeit white collar investigations) I'm always interested in reading any information on this subject. The Smith family was on Nancy Grace last night on CNN. I wonder if this family is getting paid to be on this show (I think it may be their 2nd or 3rd visit). One thing I caught on last night's show was when CNN showed a clip of RCL's attorney stating that the FBI gave them clearance to leave Turkey. Then Mr. Smith said that they met with the FBI for about an hour and he said they didn't tell them anything so why would they tell RCL they could leave. Mr. Smith seems to think that the FBI wouldn't have told RCL to leave Turkey. Why not? Did I miss something in the broadcast? There is a difference between the FBI telling RCL it's permitted to leave port and the FBI telling anyone about their ongoing investigation. The FBI is not going to release any information to anyone, including the Smith family, if it will have an adverse impact on their ongoing investigation. RCL has made a statement that they will not be appearing on any more talk shows. I agree with them. Nancy Grace said RCL was invited to be on the show last night but when RCL found out the family was going to be there they declined. Damn straight they should decline. RCL does not want to get themselves involved in a situation where they will be attacked by the family and the media. In my opinion, constantly appearing on tv shows isn't going to make the investigation go by more quickly. You would think the family would want the investigators to do a thorough job - you going on tv every week or two is just adding to the pressure of what is already a high-profiled case.

I believe at this point in time it is a waste of time to check out this cabin. It was never secured and I understand many passengers have used it on many recent sailings. Dr. Lee etc will not find any evidence I feel that would stand up in court at this time. All they will see is the layout of this cabin and where things are located. Just my opinion! Ike

I would NOT want to be a crew member who crosses paths with the attorney trail. There doesn't seem to be any way this will end will for RCI. The attorneys will probably complain that RCI is covering things up because of the short amount of time they will be allowed on the vessel.

My first take was that RCCL was nuts for letting the widow and her merry band of bandits on their property.

On second thought, they probably think that it will be easier to deal with the widow's band of bandits when they can move the discussion to one based upon facts, rather than imaginary theories.

Hope they are right, 'cuase I think facts or no facts all they are going to get from that groop of gypsies are wilder and wilder theories and attacks.

I have never seen such bias reporting. Why does Nancy Grace and Joe Scarborough have it out for Rccl so bad? I can't even stand to watch them. What is their problem?

I agree. This is total pandering. I like Joe Scarborough, but with what is going on in Iraq, Iran and the rest of the world, this story is miniscule. Enough already! Leave this stuff for the Star and Enquirer!

I believe at this point in time it is a waste of time to check out this cabin. It was never secured and I understand many passengers have used it on many recent sailings. Dr. Lee etc will not find any evidence I feel that would stand up in court at this time. All they will see is the layout of this cabin and where things are located. Just my opinion! Ike

Who said the cabin has been occupied? Can you post that information please?

including the topic "Royal Caribbean fights back" with 749 posts where you should be at, not starting a 5th topic which we don't need. There are another 2 on oprah show, hope they die out.

Hey, it's the web. IMO, a lot like TV, if you don't like it just skip it.

-Monte

Does anyone know if there is a camera crew going along to film the tests and such?

I believe it was the Turkis Authorities not the FBI that gave them clearance to depart as the FBI has no jurisdiction in this case.

Consider this.

Ship is Bahamian Registry

Incident took place probably in Greek Territorial Waters

Reported to Turkish Authorities

RCL is nominally a Norwegian company with a US Nexus - to Say that the FBI has jurisdiction is like saying they can Prosecute Saddam Hussein for killing American Troops in Iraq

I believe it was the Turkis Authorities not the FBI that gave them clearance to depart as the FBI has no jurisdiction in this case.

Consider this.

Ship is Bahamian Registry

Incident took place probably in Greek Territorial Waters

Reported to Turkish Authorities

RCL is nominally a Norwegian company with a US Nexus - to Say that the FBI has jurisdiction is like saying they can Prosecute Saddam Hussein for killing American Troops in Iraq

Yes, complicated, but Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, is incorporated in Liberia.

There was a 1300 post thread "Missing Honeymooner" that was axed. Then Laura started "Royal Caribbean strikes back" as I told the poster who started the 6th thread. It has close to 500 posts in under 2 weeks.... I've posted January's transcripts & some from old shows that were quite informative such as Dateline.

Ok, let's settle down - let's not get personal. A suggestion for Cruise-Critic: since this is such a "hot" topic, why not start one thread where everyone posts to that thread only to discuss this.

Since I'm involved in investigations in my job (albeit white collar investigations) I'm always interested in reading any information on this subject. The Smith family was on Nancy Grace last night on CNN. I wonder if this family is getting paid to be on this show (I think it may be their 2nd or 3rd visit). One thing I caught on last night's show was when CNN showed a clip of RCL's attorney stating that the FBI gave them clearance to leave Turkey. Then Mr. Smith said that they met with the FBI for about an hour and he said they didn't tell them anything so why would they tell RCL they could leave. Mr. Smith seems to think that the FBI wouldn't have told RCL to leave Turkey. Why not? Did I miss something in the broadcast? There is a difference between the FBI telling RCL it's permitted to leave port and the FBI telling anyone about their ongoing investigation. The FBI is not going to release any information to anyone, including the Smith family, if it will have an adverse impact on their ongoing investigation. RCL has made a statement that they will not be appearing on any more talk shows. I agree with them. Nancy Grace said RCL was invited to be on the show last night but when RCL found out the family was going to be there they declined. Damn straight they should decline. RCL does not want to get themselves involved in a situation where they will be attacked by the family and the media. In my opinion, constantly appearing on tv shows isn't going to make the investigation go by more quickly. You would think the family would want the investigators to do a thorough job - you going on tv every week or two is just adding to the pressure of what is already a high-profiled case.

I'm glad to read this about Nancy Grace, I've only caught snippets of her show. While I know why she reports this way and always seems to be suspicious, she appears to be biased. Now, I'll not be watching her show again. I'm not one who cares for slanted "news" shows, and stay away from sensationalism for the benefit of ratings and their perception of entertainment.

I'd love to see them throwing dummies off the ship, though, perhaps they could get Gil Grissom to help out.

I'll get my news from written news stories, but I never fully believe them, either.

But, I do read People and Star ;) :rolleyes: :o !

including the topic "Royal Caribbean fights back" with 749 posts where you should be at, not starting a 5th topic which we don't need. There are another 2 on oprah show, hope they die out.

Thanks!

I wouldn't have read that other thread since it's gotten to be nothing but people posting their (sometimes) crazy theories about what happened and "I heard...." stuff. No facts anymore. I'm glad the OP posted this thread because I didn't know about it and wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I'm not sure why you believe you are the judge of what we do or "don't need" on this board.

It's oh so very easy to skip a thread if you're not interested...:rolleyes:

Herman, as I recall, the FBI had a agent on the scene because RCCL had called the FBI (who has jurisdiction to investigate the death of US citizens on cruise ships...they may have to turn their findings over to the proper legal authority). RCCL notified several governments, Turkey, US and Bahamas as I recall...perhaps Greece to do a search and rescue as well.

RCCL was cleared by Turkey more than once with the knowledge of the FBI who said nothing. The FBI before congress has stated that they rely on foreign governments to do much of the leg work, which I take it they then review or expand on in developing their findings. The FBI could have asked RCCL to delay or otherwise act differently, but did not.

RCCL gave the FBI and Turks ample time to change their minds, but after a few hours they took the authorities at their word that they could proceede. Which they did. Each and every step of the way they acted with the knowledge and direction of the appropriate authority. IMHO

I agree with the Pirate. RCI was cleared to leave so they left. Let's move on folks.

The lawyers boarding the ship is a waste of time. My guess is that they will ask for access to areas that they are not permitted in and will claim coverup, the RCI is prohibiting them from gaining information.

I wonder if this family is getting paid to be on this show

Yes, they are getting paid. I can't recall the exact union but there are union regulations that require all appearances on TV to be paid.

The Smith's lawyer is doing more harm than he is good. I saw him on Dr. Phil the other night and he asid he is going to meet with the officials in Aruba.

Why? he is not licensed to practice there, their laws are Dutch, not American.

Yes, they are getting paid. I can't recall the exact union but there are union regulations that require all appearances on TV to be paid.

That's not true. I was on TV, I was not paid. I was being interviewed, I was not an actress playing a role.

That's not true. I was on TV, I was not paid. I was being interviewed, I was not an actress playing a role.

Yes, that is true, I looked up the regulations.

You DO NOT have to be an actor or actress.

Any appearance on an entertainment show is paid at least the American Federation of Television and Radio Actors (AFTRA) minimum, which is $726 per episode. Examples would be Leno, Letterman, Oprah, etc.

A news show is not bound by those regulations. Examples would be: 20/20, 60 Minutes, CBS evening news, etc.

They may not have been pasid for this particular appearance but others they are.

To take a different spin on this, there is an article in today's Ft. Lauderdale's Sun Sentinel talking about the liquor absenti, I'm not sure how it is spelled. I think somebody else mentioned that the couple were drinking some of this which way she doesn't remember what happened that night. They stated that is an hellucingenic booze, and one minute then could be perfectly normal and then another, off the stratisphere. The web address is www.sun-sentinel.com. If someone can past this article here, it would be great. I don't know to do it.

source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-123absintecruiseship,0,4511044.story

Vanished: Exotic & illegal absinthe linked to cruise-ship mystery

Passengers say men drank liquor that is banned in U.S..

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN

Associated Press

Posted January 23 2006, 12:15 PM EST

STAMFORD, Conn. -- An illegal alcoholic drink that gained notoriety in the 19th century for its hallucinogenic effects is emerging as the latest twist in a modern mystery surrounding a Greenwich man who vanished from his honeymoon cruise last summer.

Passengers say that absinthe, made from grain alcohol and the common herb wormwood, was consumed by a group of men last seen with George Allen Smith IV on July 5, the day he disappeared from a Royal Caribbean cruise of the Mediterranean.

C. Keith Greer, the attorney for one member of that group, Josh Askin of California, said Smith also drank shots of absinthe.

Absinthe is banned in the United States because of harmful neurological effects caused by a toxic chemical called thujone, said Michael Herndon, spokesman for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

It is historically blamed for hallucinations and bizarre behavior dating back to Vincent van Gogh.

"In large amounts it would certainly make people see strange things and behave in a strange manner," said Jad Adams, author of the book, "Hideous Absinthe: A History of the Devil in a Bottle." "It gives people different, unusual ideas which they wouldn't have had on their own accord because of its stimulative effect on the mind."

Oscar Wilde, one of many 19th-century artists and writers who enjoyed the drink, thought the floor was covered with flowers while drinking absinthe, Adams said.

The modern version of the drink has much smaller doses of thujone than the amounts suspected in van Gogh's day, some experts say. The drink is legal in some European countries, though London bars typically limit drinkers to two shots, Adams said.

The accounts of absinthe come after a series of unusual developments aboard the ship.

Witnesses say Smith and his bride, Jennifer Hagel Smith, were heavily intoxicated and argued in the ship's bar the night Smith disappeared. Passengers say Smith called his wife names, and she responded by kicking him in the groin hard enough to double him over.

Hagel Smith has disputed those accounts, but said she doesn't recall what happened. She said she had never experienced the effects of alcohol as she did that night.

Hagel Smith was found passed out on the floor of a corridor far from the couple's cabin on the night her husband disappeared. Hagel Smith has said she passed an FBI polygraph test, and federal authorities have said she has cooperated with the probe.

Smith was taken back to his cabin by a group of passengers that included Askin, Greer said. FBI agents have questioned the passengers, but no one has been charged and attorneys maintain their clients' innocence.

The passengers last seen with Smith are also being investigated in connection with the reported rape of a female passenger three days after Smith's disappearance, the cruise line has said. No charges have been filed and the passengers have denied wrongdoing.

Greer said the passengers bought absinthe in Italy. The cruise line has said the young men were seen trying to sneak their own bottles of alcohol into the ship's disco before Smith's disappearance.

Two passengers on the cruise said the young men were drinking excessively.

"They drank the whole bottle," said Victorio Jove, a 25-year-old passenger from Mexico. "When I got there, the bottle was empty."

In recent years, absinthe has made a comeback, enjoying the allure that was kept alive by later writers such as Ernest Hemingway. Defenders of the drink say it is safe and its harmful effects a myth.

"When you drink absinthe, it seems for a while your mind stays remarkably clear," said Theodore Breaux, an environmental microbiologist and absinthe researcher. "You feel like you are lucid and alert."

In 2000, researchers from the University of California, Berkeley, reported that the 19th-century absinthe popular with artists and writers contained a potent toxin that causes neurons to seriously malfunction.

"You'd start to get hyper-excited and eventually convulsions if the dose is high enough," said Jeffrey Bloomquist, a professor of toxicology at Virginia Tech who reviewed the study.

Artists and writers such as Wilde and Edgar Allen Poe celebrated its hallucinatory effects, referring affectionately to absinthe as "the green fairy" or "holy water." But social critics, doctors and others of their era blamed the drink for madness.

Some symptoms described in Wilfred Niels Arnold's 1992 book on absinthe included bizarre and psychotic behavior, hallucinations, sudden delirium, suicidal behavior, convulsions and death.

Archived