Salmon fishing excursion recommendations please!

antnjen

Hi all!   We are cruising on Millennium in July, northbound, and would like to book a salmon fishing excursion, preferably out of Juneau (that seems to fit our schedule the best).  Can anyone recommend a great company to work with?  Are all salmon fishing excursions trolling?  One of my sons really wants to know...

Thanks in advance!

On 3/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, antnjen said:

Hi all!   We are cruising on Millennium in July, northbound, and would like to book a salmon fishing excursion, preferably out of Juneau (that seems to fit our schedule the best).  Can anyone recommend a great company to work with?  Are all salmon fishing excursions trolling?  One of my sons really wants to know...

Thanks in advance!

I did some research as DH also wants to Salmon Fish in Juneau. All of the independent boat tour companies only book charters with a minimum of 4 people ... if that works for you, I read really good reviews for Moore Charters (but I have not personally used them.) Other than those, and the trolling tours offered by cruise lines, there are two tour companies that offer Salmon fishing from shore, Chum Fun tours and Hooked on Juneau. Might want to check it out and see if those appeal.

Ultimately, DH decided to use some OBC we had no use for to book a Halibut fishing excursion - more expensive than Salmon but he didn't want to "troll."

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Most of the non-trolling is stream fly fishing.  You can search for it, but I don’t have any specific suggestions.

Depending on when you go, you might hit a species running in a very specific location and you can direct spin cast from a boat. Probably need a straight up private charter for that and some timing luck.

• 3 months later...

We just returned from an Alaska cruise and we were in Juneau July 14th. We are a family of five and booked a salmon fishing day with Chum Fun Charters. Paul picked us up at the dock and took us for a short ride to their office. We all got fitted with rubber boots and rain gear if we needed (we did not, weather was great). If you don’t have an Alaska fishing license, they have one day license available for purchase. 

On the way to the fishing spot, Paul took us on a tour of the fish hatchery. It was amazing to see all the fish and how the hatchery works. Now for the fishing...They fish from the shore or from a dock. We fished from the shore and we all caught Chum Salmon. My wife that almost didn’t go fishing was the lucky one of the day and caught a King Salmon. If you haven’t fished before don’t worry about it. Paul will teach you how to cast and reel in the fish. He has a lot of patients and works hard for you. We released our fish but if you want to have them processed and sent home they will do that for an extra charge.

If you are looking to fish in Alaska for a day and don’t want to to troll in a boat this is the way to go. I think casting and hooking my own fish is a lot more fun than trolling MHO.

Paul and Michelle are the owners and operators of the business. They treated us like family and was the best shore  excursion we did on our Alaska cruise.