Tips and Recommendations

Tigerman4LSU

We are going on the NCL Breakaway in December.  Haven't sailed NCL in about 12 years. 

Any recommendations or tips?  Example, when can I sign up for excursions or make reservations at specialty restaurants?

My daughter is gluten free.  Will she find a good selection of choices to choose from?

Looking forward to our trip.

My three biggest tips are:

1. Browse the forum, use the search feature, and just read a lot. Almost all of your questions have been answered many times. 

2. Before going on your trip, your daughter should get a second opinion from an actual doctor about her gluten situation. Research shows that there’s a 99% chance that she’s just fine with gluten, as only 1% of the population has celiac disease.

3. Make as many reservations for things as early as possible. Pay close attention to what time you’re expected to show up for said reservations. This is usually a 10 to 30 minute early arrival, depending on what it’s for. 

As for good gluten free options, I would say don’t count on having any good gluten free food. That’s why I’m strongly suggesting tip number 2; this will make or break her cruise. 

I will give you my opinion for what it is worth, but others may differ. This is why it is good for you to keep up with CC or other social media for ideas. BTW take what some say with a grain of salt.

1-you can sign up for excursions and specialty dining 120 days prior to sailing unless you are in a suite. then I think it is 130 days or something like that. if you don't see the the times you want for dining available just go the the restaurant signup desk as soon as you board. btw I might have the time when you can sign up wrong. Others will be able to give the correct time. 

Yes, there will be good gluten free foods available. It would be a good idea to contact NCL ahead of time to get some idea about what to expect. I have known a few who were gluten free and been happy with the dining choices. of course it won't be as varied as regular diet. 

Think of what shows you may want to see ahead of time. Because the ship is so large and there are so many choices you will want to be familiar with the activities. 

Last but not least have a wonderful time and be prepared for the size of today's ships if you haven't been on a mega one. It is a new experience for many with pros and cons.. 

Chiming in as a parent of a child with celiac, NCL is great with gluten free. Contact the special needs department ahead of time and they will make a note, and the dietary manager with contact you onboard. She can order her meals a day in advance, with choices either naturally gf or gf products like pasta, bread, rolls, pizza, pancakes, waffles, muffins, cookies... Dd16 was diagnosed 10 years ago, and gf foods are all she knows, they taste good to her!

• Like 1