Float trip

Cshell5

My husband and I will be in Alaska this summer and would like to take a float trip. I understand from these boards that the one in Juneau to Mendenhall doesn't get very close and is NOT recommended. We will also be stopping in Skagway and Ketchikan. Any recommendations? :rolleyes:

You're right, the one in Juneau is NOT recommended.

I used to guide a few of the float trips so i can offer a bit of info.

In Skagway, you have the Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float (guided it for three years). This is a great trip if you like nature and history. The Chilkoot Trail was one of the primary routes for the Klondike Gold Rush and is the only one still regularly hiked recreationally (total trail length=33 miles). The consists of a 25-minute drive out to Dyea (old gold rush town site: now retaken by the forest), which is very, very pretty. You then hike the first two miles of the trail, meet a raft and float back down the Taiya River to the takeout. It's a mellow float, very pretty and (usually) you'll see lots of eagles and seals. The hike starts pretty steep, but quickly mellows out and the forest you're hiking through is wonderful. Still, you should be fairly fit.

If the hike isn't for you, check out the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve Float in Haines. You'll catch a fast-ferry for a 30-minute ride to Haines, then bus up through the Preserve to the put-in. The float is very mellow and scenic.

Another option in Skagway is the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (or some such name). Again, it's a fast-ferry boat ride to Glacier Point, one of the most beautiful places in the world! There's a short hike (pretty easy) and a ride in a very large canoe to the snout of the Davidson Glacier. It really is a magical place.

All of the above tours are run by Chilkat Guides, one of the better and most professional guide companies in Southeast Alaska. Their guides are of the highest caliber and receive exceptional training in both the guiding, nature, history, medical and rescue worlds. Each tour is consistantly rated among the top tours in SE Alaska.

Another option, if you happen to be passing through Denali is a float on the Nenana River. You can float the upper river, which is 13 miles of mostly mellow water, with a few class 2 rapids and one short class 3. Then there's the Canyon, which is a much more exciting class 3-4 whitewater trip. Both are good, but the kids tend to get bored with the upper float.

Hope this helps. I think it covers most, if not all, of the float trips available.

The Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float is limited to groups of 10+1 guide. This is due to restrictions on group size on the trail itself and also applies to private groups. You'll also be with the same guide for the entire trip, including the drives.

For the Glacier Point trip, you are "required" to paddle and the canoes all carry small outboard motors to help them along. Just let your guides know who won't be able to paddle, so they can distribute them properly.

Neither the Hike and Float, or the Chilkat Preserve float require guests to paddle, as they are both on oar-rafts (the guide rows).

The Glacier Point and Chilkoot Hike and Float both need to be booked through the ship--neither can be booked independently. However, there is another company that does the Hike and Float who you can book with independently. They are also a very good company who can also do the float only, without the hike if you desire.

http://www.skagwayfloat.com/

Also, if you are an experienced whitewater rafter and would like to try a class-5 experience that's just outside of Skagway, email the above company for info on the Tushi.

Just for clarification - On our Glacier Point trip, we had a young (7-8 year old) boy and a couple seniors who did not paddle at all. The guide did use the motor a few times when most of the people just wanted to ride along and take pictures. It wasn't a race (LOL)! As I recall, they divided us by ability so that each canoe was pretty well balanced. If you're not sure about skill level or ability to participate, inquire at the trip excursion desk on your ship. Have fun!

That's why I love this site so much:D Everyone is so-o-o helpful. Thanks for the info.

One more ? We have already made plans to rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake for the day. We're hoping to get on the road by at least 9:00am. We assumed it will take an hour and a half to drive there (75mi.)making stops along the way, spending about an hour in Emerald Lake then driving back to Skagway. So-- do you think we could get back by 2:00 or 3:00 and take a float trip(maybe the one in Haines) and be back to board ship @ 8:30?? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

You should be able to do one of them. Just get the latest trip your ship offers. They won't schedule one that gets bact too late, and if there's any problems, they won't leave without you--one of the advantages of booking through the ship.

THe Hike and Float typically lasts 4 1/2 to 5 hours from pickup to dropoff. Not sure about the Eagle Preserve float times.

That's why I love this site so much:D Everyone is so-o-o helpful. Thanks for the info.

One more ? We have already made plans to rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake for the day. We're hoping to get on the road by at least 9:00am. We assumed it will take an hour and a half to drive there (75mi.)making stops along the way, spending about an hour in Emerald Lake then driving back to Skagway. So-- do you think we could get back by 2:00 or 3:00 and take a float trip(maybe the one in Haines) and be back to board ship @ 8:30?? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Not out of Haines as you are dependent on the ferry schedule to get you back and forth eating up time. But maybe possible out of Skagway if you can get the timeframe you need.

Archived