Western Mediterranean Sailing: Port or Starboard side?

Msttali

No. Doesn't matter. You are away form the coast virtually all the time when sailing. None of the approaches to ports, at least that we have been to, are anything special.

Eastern Med is a different story, with Venice and Dubrovnik, for example.

@Ashland I'm sorry, a true Aft? what does that mean?

We will be on the Oasis of the seas, and while we like (and have booked) an aft balcony- it isn't like the Explorer of the seas (pre-updates, that might of been made.) Where they have balcony rooms directly on the back of the ship. BTW I loved those rooms, and that ship. 

Is that what you meant, or did I miss the point. 

Thank you for your advice ;)

3 hours ago, Msttali said:

@Ashland I'm sorry, a true Aft? what does that mean?

We will be on the Oasis of the seas, and while we like (and have booked) an aft balcony- it isn't like the Explorer of the seas (pre-updates, that might of been made.) Where they have balcony rooms directly on the back of the ship. BTW I loved those rooms, and that ship. 

Is that what you meant, or did I miss the point. 

Thank you for your advice 😉

Yes...exactly what I meant... keep an eye out for an available aft cabin well worth it.

You're very welcome...enjoy your cruise !

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, Msttali said:

Happily booked but worried about placement. We would love to see the view from our balcony. 

If you have ever been, please let me know which side you choose. 

Is your cruise east to west or west to east, or is it a combo of both.  If it is a long distance between ports you'll be to far from shore to see anything.  Pick the side of the ship which is most often on the land side when sailing. In ports either side of the ship may or may not have a better view, also could be sunny and hot in the afternoon or you may be in the shade.  No guarantee until the ship docks.

I have been on 4 Med cruises on 2 different lines and have had port and starboard cabins.  Enjoyed all from Gibraltar to Istanbul.   

1 hour ago, littlecruise said:

Is your cruise east to west or west to east, or is it a combo of both.  If it is a long distance between ports you'll be to far from shore to see anything.  Pick the side of the ship which is most often on the land side when sailing. In ports either side of the ship may or may not have a better view, also could be sunny and hot in the afternoon or you may be in the shade.  No guarantee until the ship docks.

I have been on 4 Med cruises on 2 different lines and have had port and starboard cabins.  Enjoyed all from Gibraltar to Istanbul.   

Never thought of it like this. We start in Barcelona,Spain, go to another Spanish town (known for soap, name is coming up short), France, Italy’s 3 stops and head back to Barcelona. I’ll look into it more. 

Question: since you guys have been on this cruise before. Did anyone take the drink package? On my carribean cruises I always have, but I’m undecided here because of the port days. They throw my math completely to the wind. 

Thank you for replying! 

11 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

Done both sides and there's hardly any difference to be honest.

Make sure to get up early for some fabulous sunrises though!

I’m a early riser, viewing sunrises hold some of my favorite memories while on vacation. 

Thank you for your advice!