Cork, Ireland

Going on transatlantic on the Reflection on April 22 out of Ft Lauderdale. One of our stops will be overnight in Cork. How far is the dock from town and does anyone have any experience with the hop on hop off bus there. Also any suggestions on what to do there.

I was on the TA last year and stopped in Cork - how nice that you have an overnight there.  The dock is right in town, next to the Titanic museum.  Sorry, but I didn't use the HOHO.  We took a tour through the ship and went out to the countryside to a pub - it was so much fun - great music and entertainment.  

The town itself is charming and a nice place to walk around - much about Titanic.  Be sure to be up on deck when you arrive/leave - it was the most scenic of our stops in Ireland.

The dock is actually not in the city of Cork - it is in Cobh which is a smaller but attractive town.  As the previous poster stated the Titanic Museum is located there and another thing to see is the cathedral situated on the hill.  Cork City is about 20-25 minutes away on the train.  The train stop is right next to the ships dock.  The train station in Cork is about a ten minute walk to the main city center - shops and restaurants - and I believe the HOHO bus stops just outside the station but we have never used it. Cork is easy to walk around on the south side where most of the shops are located but the north side of the river is very hilly so the HOHO bus is probably a good idea. My family are from Cork and visits there always included a stop at Shandon Church where you can go up to the tower and ring the bells (check website for opening time).   No hanging from bell ropes - its all done from a wall mounted rope system.  There is a bus from the main bus station near the city center to Blarney - it's about a half hour ride - or a taxi will  get you there in half that time.  The Jameson Whiskey Distillery in Midleton  is a short distance from Cork - history of whiskey making, tours etc.  if you are interested in that type of thing.  Train goes to Midleton or they actually run their own bus on certain days of the week.  City bus also stops there.  If the weather is nice the train stops between Cobh and Cork at Fota Wildlife park. 

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amias said:

The dock is actually not in the city of Cork - it is in Cobh which is a smaller but attractive town.  As the previous poster stated the Titanic Museum is located there and another thing to see is the cathedral situated on the hill.  Cork City is about 20-25 minutes away on the train.  The train stop is right next to the ships dock.  The train station in Cork is about a ten minute walk to the main city center - shops and restaurants - and I believe the HOHO bus stops just outside the station but we have never used it. Cork is easy to walk around on the south side where most of the shops are located but the north side of the river is very hilly so the HOHO bus is probably a good idea. My family are from Cork and visits there always included a stop at Shandon Church where you can go up to the tower and ring the bells (check website for opening time).   No hanging from bell ropes - its all done from a wall mounted rope system.  There is a bus from the main bus station near the city center to Blarney - it's about a half hour ride - or a taxi will  get you there in half that time.  The Jameson Whiskey Distillery in Midleton  is a short distance from Cork - history of whiskey making, tours etc.  if you are interested in that type of thing.  Train goes to Midleton or they actually run their own bus on certain days of the week.  City bus also stops there.  If the weather is nice the train stops between Cobh and Cork at Fota Wildlife park. 

Enjoy your trip.

Sorry, it is Cobh where the ship docks - sorry for the error.

4 hours ago, Bornbeau said:

Going on transatlantic on the Reflection on April 22 out of Ft Lauderdale. One of our stops will be overnight in Cork. How far is the dock from town and does anyone have any experience with the hop on hop off bus there. Also any suggestions on what to do there.

Bornbeau, There is a VERY active roll call for this sailing (I'm on it too).  Are you aware of the changes to the itinerary? You can read about it on the roll call here  One significant change associated with the overnight in Cobh (Cork) is that due to another ship in port on the first day, Reflection will be docking in Ringaskiddy instead of Cobh.  It is not clear what shuttles will be offered from Ringaskiddy to either Cobh or Cork.  It is also not clear if Reflection will move to the Cobh dock on the second day.

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

Bornbeau, There is a VERY active roll call for this sailing (I'm on it too).  Are you aware of the changes to the itinerary? You can read about it on the roll call here  One significant change associated with the overnight in Cobh (Cork) is that due to another ship in port on the first day, Reflection will be docking in Ringaskiddy instead of Cobh.  It is not clear what shuttles will be offered from Ringaskiddy to either Cobh or Cork.  It is also not clear if Reflection will move to the Cobh dock on the second day.

According to the Port Authority, Reflection will move  at 6 pm when the other ship leaves Cobh.