Taiwan flag

zitsky

I know Viking Ocean has a few cruises that stop in Taiwan.  They show the national flag in their marketing materials.  Do you suppose China would/could ever object to that and force Viking to show the mainland China flag instead?

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

When we visited Taiwan, we flew the Republic of China (Taiwan) flas, as the Courtesy Ensign. Will watch with interest for your post.

OK Heidi13.     Now the pressure is on !!!!!     I have logged it in my phone diary to ensure I follow through on my offer.  

It is the very very least I can do  for you as I have learnt so much info for our maiden Viking Ocean Cruise from your informative postings.    Not to mention how I maintened a regular watching brief for your postings on the recent Viking Sky incident.     

So, happy to reciprocate in this small way.   

Rod 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aussie Cruise Nuts said:

OK Heidi13.     Now the pressure is on !!!!!     I have logged it in my phone diary to ensure I follow through on my offer.  

It is the very very least I can do  for you as I have learnt so much info for our maiden Viking Ocean Cruise from your informative postings.    Not to mention how I maintened a regular watching brief for your postings on the recent Viking Sky incident.     

So, happy to reciprocate in this small way.   

Rod 

Thanks Rod - will be interesting. Unfortunately on our WC next year we go to Xiamen, but not across to Taiwan

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Rod - will be interesting. Unfortunately on our WC next year we go to Xiamen, but not across to Taiwan

Not sure if you have been to Xiamen before, but it is a very enjoyable port stop. 

We visited here on an Azamara Quest Cruise a few years ago.   A very modern city with a great waterfront walk which is very scenic.     When you leave the waterfront and the  modern skyscrapers and walk into the old town the whole scene changes dramatically.    So many sights, sounds and smells.       We found a pedestrian mall with lots of street vendors and enjoyed a variety of snacks.     And no ill effects, although we only ate the food that we watched being cooked.   

If you get the chance, catch the ferry across to Gulangyu Island, a vehicle free Island with beautiful old colonial villas.    We found the locals very helpful and they would find an English speaking official to assist us with transport options etc.       A great day out.  

Rod 

24 minutes ago, Aussie Cruise Nuts said:

Not sure if you have been to Xiamen before, but it is a very enjoyable port stop. 

We visited here on an Azamara Quest Cruise a few years ago.   A very modern city with a great waterfront walk which is very scenic.     When you leave the waterfront and the  modern skyscrapers and walk into the old town the whole scene changes dramatically.    So many sights, sounds and smells.       We found a pedestrian mall with lots of street vendors and enjoyed a variety of snacks.     And no ill effects, although we only ate the food that we watched being cooked.   

If you get the chance, catch the ferry across to Gulangyu Island, a vehicle free Island with beautiful old colonial villas.    We found the locals very helpful and they would find an English speaking official to assist us with transport options etc.       A great day out.  

Rod 

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Aussie Cruise Nuts posted   "If you get the chance, catch the ferry across to Gulangyu Island, a vehicle-free Island with beautiful old colonial villas.    We found the locals very helpful and they would find an English speaking official to assist us with transport options etc.       A great day out. "

We were on the September '18 Orion cruise from HK to Beijing.  We visited Gulangyu Island (Optional, not cheap tour) with a young (student?) male guide who spoke fractured (not even broken) English, had no guide experience, no idea of time and had to refer to documents to respond to our questions.  Tour was dire, a waste of time and money.

Next morning, we had a female guide (student?) from the same company who was even worse than her colleague of the previous day.  We visited a park and a main street, after which, most of us escaped back to the ship. 

The included tour in Shanghai was a bus ride to the museum (next to no commentary en route), some of which was closed and we were left to visit what was open on our own.

In Quingdao, the included tour was to the seaside near the location of the sailing events at the Beijing Olympics, where we walked along the busy sea front in the sunshine for an hour.  Guide then rejoined at the meeting point. 

In Dalian, the included tour was a shuttle to the business district, with lots of high office blocks!

I wrote a post on this topic last November, one of a number (and even more in the "Reviews") by disgruntled Orion pax and including a response by Viking.  I hope that this year's offerings and new (hopefully) local tour companies have been properly vetted by Viking shoreside, and that Viking management has shaken up last year's excursions department.

Thanks Rod - how is the cruise going.

Heidi13,      Now in day 5 (sea day) of the long cruise to Vancouver.    We are very happy with the early days and nights of our first Viking Ocean Cruise.  Obviously a few things are different to our previous 16 cruises (mainly Seabourn), but we are not ones to continually compare and discuss these little differences.   Suffice to say the suite is excellent, the food so far is a high standard and the daily pour drinks are certainly acceptable.     The highlight is the crew - all friendly, smiling and so eager to serve, engage and talk with us.    A couple of regular servers have asked our names  and now welcome us by name when they see us.   Something the smaller Seabourn cruise ships (450 pax) do more easily.   We did not really expect this personal  name recognition on Viking which is twice the number of pax.      It may be because we take the time to chat with our servers (when they are not busy) that encourages them to learn our names.  

Manfredi’s tonight (second visit) and can’t wait.   First visit my steak was superb, although I will be asking for the half size next time.   A perfect medium rare and melt in your mouth.  The beef carpaccio has disappeared from the menu (a favourite for both of us) and replaced with octopus carpaccio which my wife rated highly.   

Our first visit to Chefs Table was also outstanding (Xiang menu) and can’t wait for our next visits there.   

We thought we were only entitled to 3 pre bookings at each of the speciality restaurants, but when prebooking opened, we were offered 6 bookings at each.   Eagerly accepted and booked !!!!     Whilst our cruise is sold as one cruise, it really is 2 separate cruise legs, and I assume this is why we got lucky with 12 pre bookings. 

Another Viking plus 

Cheers.     Rod. 

Enjoy the cruise, hope you get some nice weather crossing the North Pacific and then down to Vancouver.

I was hoping to get some photos of Orion's first arrival passing 1st Narrows, but I subsequently heard your arrival is 0300, so I will wait for alongside photos.

Enjoy the cruise, hope you get some nice weather crossing the North Pacific and then down to Vancouver.

I was hoping to get some photos of Orion's first arrival passing 1st Narrows, but I subsequently heard your arrival is 0300, so I will wait for alongside photos.

0300?  Sure you can do it.  Just remember all those times standing the 12 to 4.😎

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

0300?  Sure you can do it.  Just remember all those times standing the 12 to 4.😎

Ah! the good old days of the 12-4 watch. Back in my 20's it was easy surviving on 3 hrs sleep a day, but now it would take me weeks to recuperate.😞

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Ah! the good old days of the 12-4 watch. Back in my 20's it was easy surviving on 3 hrs sleep a day, but now it would take me weeks to recuperate.😞

Haha, I am with you.  Just one of the reasons we no longer work on ships.  Let someone else worry about all that stuff.🍸

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, I am with you.  Just one of the reasons we no longer work on ships.  Let someone else worry about all that stuff.🍸

Jim - so true. When cruising I have no desire to drive. When we went with our son, I did the dutiful dad bit and went up on the Bridge. Now, zero interest in seeing behind the scene tours.

Sometimes even wake up at night when the engines, vibration, etc changes, but quickly turn over and back to sleep. No longer my concern.🍺🍺