A-Rosa to build Family River Cruise Ship

G.M.T.

Arosa is certainly keeping rather quiet about the christening, one does wonder if it has happened. I am saying this in light of the fact that the river cruise start has been postponed again. Now 11 June (not guaranteed): https://www.countervor9.de/produkte/a-rosa-verschiebt-start-der-sena-erneut

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

The Arosa Sena is sailing. A ship spotter in Cologne has kindly posted the first photos of her being in her home port of Cologne, for her first proper journey to Amsterdam (post #7): https://www.binnenschifferforum.de/showthread.php?98405-A-ROSA-SENA-Neubau-für-den-Rhein-2021&p=441888#post441888

The Arosa Sena does not sail further upstream from Cologne so only explores Germany and the Low Countries area. Her itineraries: https://www.arosa-*****/river-cruises/a-rosa-fleet/a-rosa-sena.html

notamermaid

The press release: https://www.arosa-*****/river-cruises/company/press/newsdetail/news/a-rosa-sena-on-maiden-voyage.html?tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=0954a357f7f56d67c9797eaeaf1523cb

A big event in the river cruising world with a ship sailing with battery power. What a large vessel, would love to see the dimensions and lay-out in real life.

Safe travels to her always.

notamermaid

BTW, the christening was on June 17th in Düsseldorf and Clara Eichler, the daughter of the Jörg Eichler - A-Rosa CEO - served as godmother. Then the ship moved up to Köln for the first cruise on June 18th.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

Interesting I was trying to remember how far down "wide" locks went on the Rhine.

I know the Amamagna is basically stuck on the Danube due to its width limitation (at least without putting it back on an ocean carrier in the Black Sea) but I remember seeing a LOT of wide locks on the Rhine.

Edited by CastleCritic

It is a little misleading when I say that the A-Rosa Sena does not sail further upstream from Cologne. Theoretically she could sail up to the first lock that is not wide enough much further upstream, you know, past Koblenz and Mainz and Speyer. Her wide dimensions may make it difficult for her to sail in the Rhine Gorge or dock at the standard landing stages. I do not know but am guessing. Another issue is turning round but that is more a problem with length rather than width, so should not matter. The bridges are designed for container ship height so that should work for the Sena as well. Perhaps draft? Barges and container ships when fully loaded lie deeper than the standard river cruise ships. If I find out the reason some time I will post.

notamermaid

shouldn't be draft, on the ship tracker she is currently logged in Antwerp with a 2.0M draft.

And like you say length is normal.

I know there as at least one wide lock in the far stretch you mention..because I went through it on the amaserena while taking to the passengers on the viking ship sitting right next to us and that was between Strasbourg and Basel.

(but that doesnt mean they all have a wide chamber).

Channel is (normally) 2 lanes wide the entire length of the river isnt it? 

Edited by CastleCritic

3 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

Chanel is (normally) 2 lanes wide the entire length of the river isnt it? 

Yes almost, as far as I know. The Rhine Gorge has one lane in a stretch where no passing is allowed. There are river traffic lights.

2.0m sounds is lower than I expected. But it could be.

notamermaid

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...