CMH to FLL

july2012

Sweating bullets already.  I let my traveling buddy convince me to change our day before flight to day of 6:05am- arrive 9:50am.  Well now with all the issues with the MAX 8 that we are listed on for our May 25 cruise....I'm pretty concerned about what if's.....

This change from day before to day of was made back in January....NOW when I called to change back of course the price is $220 total for 2.  Southwest airline.

Now it's totally up in the air (pun intended) on if we will pay the money and switch back or wait and see if they move us IF the issues are not resolved with the MAX8 planes.

AND of course my traveling buddy is saying she does not want to fly on the MAX 8's even if FAA declared them safe.

Maybe she is ready for a road trip.....

Any one else out there making proactive changes now?

Kicking and screaming like a 2 year old " I don't want to"  We had the day before flights and instead of keeping that, I allowed my friend to convince me to arrive day of.   She wanted to avoid taking an extra day off work and paying for overnight hotel stay.

Now we may be paying $220 each AND paying for an Hotel room AND taking that extra day off work!!!!

Some posters say they never had a problem flying down day of. Thirty years ago I had no problem flying from Newark, New Jersey to either Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or West Palm Beach day of and never missed a sailing. Now at my age it’s at least a day or two before departure. You are doing the right thing by flying in a day early. Nice hotel, a nice dinner, and a restful sleep and you are ready to enjoy your cruise vacation. Read many sad stories since 2002 of posters missing there departure due to a variety of misfortunes.

I would pay the money to switch back and be done with it.  I travel a lot and have had flights cancelled and flights delayed.  One time almost missed a cruise flying in a day early!  Anyway, I would switch back to the day before.  There is no way I would ever risk flying in the morning of a cruise.

One time I had my son booked to fly to Houston direct very early on a Saturday morning so he could catch an evening flight out of the country.  The night before his flight, they cancelled it and we couldn't find another flight that would get him there in time for his second flight.  My husband had to drive him to Houston overnight.  Never again will we risk a "day of" flight.

Another time we almost missed our cruise flying in the day before the cruise.  Our first flight was delayed leaving, so we were going to miss our layover flight and nothing else was available on that airline to get us there in time.  Thankfully, I was able to book Southwest tickets at our layover city.  If this had happened on the day of the cruise, I would have missed it.

Not a chance would I fly in the day of my cruise. Looks like you're going to need to bite the bullet and pay the additional amount. Personally I wouldn't let my friend talk me into anything else at this point. Doesn't sound like they're the best at making travel decisions. 

Shouldn't be an issue of you are on a direct flight that is one of the first planes out.

Of course if you can change it, I would.

Did you try and just book a new, one way flight?  I guess that would cancel your return flight for being a no show on the first one.