Prices heating up?

davidmbfonz

Disney is Disney, like the parks they usually can get whatever they charge.  Indeed they do deliver a great product, but is it worth the cost.

We have lived in Orlando for well over 25 years.  When our children were young, we would, year after year, but a unlimited pass Diseny, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now we are going with our children and grand-children on the Disney Fantasy this September.  Looking foward to it, but certainly not cheap.

For those on a budget, who cannot afford Disney, RCCL Mega-ships also have numerous venues for the children, and would recommend Harmony of the Seas.  But then again....it is not Disney. 

20 hours ago, tvo7 said:

ANy of the trips out of Galveston is outrageously  priced for Disney Wonder.  Is it cheaper to fly to Florida and go one of the other Disney ships there?

I sincerely doubt it - It used to be that the Galveston sailings were discounted - I guess not anymore?

I didn't think about it that way until this thread, but I just calculated it and I'll be paying $250 per night, per person(2 adults, 3 kids, 2 inside staterooms) during the cheapest time (end of January) for a 4 night cruise. It's a lot but I don't think another cruise line would be an option for us at this time for lots of factors and I'm willing to pay the upcharge. In the future, we'll stick to land based Disney 🙂 but I'm sure we'll love our cruise, it's just a one and done for us.

7 hours ago, AdventureMommy said:

I didn't think about it that way until this thread, but I just calculated it and I'll be paying $250 per night, per person(2 adults, 3 kids, 2 inside staterooms) during the cheapest time (end of January) for a 4 night cruise. It's a lot but I don't think another cruise line would be an option for us at this time for lots of factors and I'm willing to pay the upcharge. In the future, we'll stick to land based Disney 🙂 but I'm sure we'll love our cruise, it's just a one and done for us.

So, basically $1,250 per day/night (is it a 4-day cruise or a 5-day cruise?)...  how much would a WDW vacation package cost per day?   Tickets for five at current prices would be:  $109 x 5 = $545.00.  That leaves $700 for food and lodging per day/night.  One of the things we discovered 5 years ago is that DCL was competitive or even cheaper than WDW.  But that may no longer be the case.

2 hours ago, davidmbfonz said:

So, basically $1,250 per day/night (is it a 4-day cruise or a 5-day cruise?)...  how much would a WDW vacation package cost per day?   Tickets for five at current prices would be:  $109 x 5 = $545.00.  That leaves $700 for food and lodging per day/night.  One of the things we discovered 5 years ago is that DCL was competitive or even cheaper than WDW.  But that may no longer be the case.

On our last trip to WDW, we had spent a week offsite in a beautiful 3 bedroom 3 bathroom condo, got 5 day 1 park per day tickets, rented a minivan and ate most of our own food (packed lunches, breakfast and dinners at the condo, had a couple meals out, bought snacks in the parks) and it cost us about a thousand per person for the complete trip. So if you count that as 5 days since we did 5 days in the parks, that's 200 per day, if you count that as 7 since we stayed for 7 days, that's under 150.

3 hours ago, davidmbfonz said:

Okay, so I just checked and made an imaginary quote for a four day WDW package for the same time as the cruise, same amount of days and nights and including the basic dining plan, and the total is 4322, and that has us all squeezing into one room and taking disney transportation, two things DH said he would never do again (we did a trip that way one time). $4322/5 people/4 nights is $216 per day per person, so cheaper than the cruise. $5210 if we got two rooms and that's $260 per person per day. (For my quote, I got a rate of $222 per night at CBR).

In 2014, our Alaska Cruise was around $220/night/pp.  In 2015, our EBPC was around $117/night/pp - in total it was about $300 more than our Alaskan cruise when we used our onboard booking discount.  I doubt we'll ever see prices like that again.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, sunny2runner said:

Wowzers! The last 2 yrs DCL prices have continued to climb. After 13 DCL, cruises we have jumped ship to Princess and MSC where we can get 3 cruises for the price of one DCL cruise. With our kids getting older, they/we no longer need DCL entertainment. 

For many, Disney has priced itself out of reach for many.  IMO not worth it.  We have sailed on Disney four times and other lines over 40.   You can sail on RC Oasis class ships for so much less and the entertainment, food and amenities knock the socks off of Disney.

If people start making different options and the ships do not fill up, perhaps Disney will rethink this policy of overcharging.

• 1 month later...

My August 2020 Northern Europe cruise after OBB and taxes is $415/person. We usually sail verandah but this time we are sailing the secret porthole room to save money. It’s $100/person higher a day than the Alaskan cruise we sailed in 2015 and we were in a verandah room. I am not sure if the new ships would help with the trend of increasing prices. However, I start to justify the extra costs for meeting the characters and watching the Disney shows like spending a portion of my trip at the Disney parks. Just hope Disney can be more price-friendly so more families can enjoy!

On 8/23/2019 at 9:38 AM, AngelDisney said:

My August 2020 Northern Europe cruise after OBB and taxes is $415/person. We usually sail verandah but this time we are sailing the secret porthole room to save money. It’s $100/person higher a day than the Alaskan cruise we sailed in 2015 and we were in a verandah room. I am not sure if the new ships would help with the trend of increasing prices. However, I start to justify the extra costs for meeting the characters and watching the Disney shows like spending a portion of my trip at the Disney parks. Just hope Disney can be more price-friendly so more families can enjoy!

Is that $415 per person, per NIGHT?  wow!  I think of the Alaskan and European cruises as sort of a DCL "special pricing" cruise, but still!

The thrust of my main concern is that $350 p.p./p.n. for a Bahamas cruise is getting a bit indulgent.

3 minutes ago, davidmbfonz said:

Is that $415 per person, per NIGHT?  wow!  I think of the Alaskan and European cruises as sort of a DCL "special pricing" cruise, but still!

The thrust of my main concern is that $350 p.p./p.n. for a Bahamas cruise is getting a bit indulgent.

Yes, it’s per person per night. It’s kind of a norm now to have $315 p.p/p.n for the Bahamas and Caribbean cruises during peak seasons. I can only travel in peak season (December and summer). it should be cheaper during low seasons. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah not gonna lie I came to the Disney section to see how people afford it and justify the price but after reading it all I don't know if I can. My next Carnival cruise cost $193 pp/pn and thats a balcony room on the Lido deck. The 15 day Carnival one we have booked after that is $110 pp/pn for a balcony room two decks below the Lido. Talk about sticker shock when looking at Disney... As much as my 6 yr old would love a Disney cruise I think he would love to do 15 days on Carnival vs 4 or 5 on Disney. If anyone has some secret about getting better rates than what I'm finding please share lol.