How much time should I plan for the Totem Bight at Ketchikan?

Tourist1292

I'd plan on the 2.3 hour time.  It's not that big of a place but I think you'd be too rushed to get it seen in only an hour.  Have you thought about renting a car for the day? The last time I was there I rented a car from First City Car Rental for about $100. That way you'd have complete freedom to stay as long or as little as you like wherever you want to go.  Their rep met me at the dock where we got off the ship and the car was sitting nearby. We only had to leave the car in the same parking lot with the keys locked inside when we were finished for the day. We also drove on out past Totem Bite to the end of the highway - there's a park there called Settlers Cove. Nice waterfalls into the sea and walking trails. Good luck!

14 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

I'd plan on the 2.3 hour time.  It's not that big of a place but I think you'd be too rushed to get it seen in only an hour.  Have you thought about renting a car for the day? The last time I was there I rented a car from First City Car Rental for about $100. That way you'd have complete freedom to stay as long or as little as you like wherever you want to go.  Their rep met me at the dock where we got off the ship and the car was sitting nearby. We only had to leave the car in the same parking lot with the keys locked inside when we were finished for the day. We also drove on out past Totem Bite to the end of the highway - there's a park there called Settlers Cove. Nice waterfalls into the sea and walking trails. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. We don't need to rent a car (or we will need 2 cars for our group). I guess we will take the 8:25am bus to go to Totem Bight and return on the 11:13am bus to the ship for lunch. We know it will be very crowded at Ketchikan on our port day. We will have a few hours after lunch for the self guided walking tour around town where a car is not useful.

Thanks again.

Depends on how much you want to do later in the day.  I would play it by ear.  It's not very big, but we took it easy, read some about totem poles, and sat a bit and watched the water.  I think we spent more than an hour.  And taking the bus there is easy and worry-free (and economical).

Edited by Melinda Brasher

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were just in Ketchikan last week and took the city bus to Totem Bight. The driver and Visitors center did caution us that due to the on going construction taking place in the city, the posted bus schedule isn’t necessarily accurate as the times may shift and busses are not making all the city stops. 

Totem Bight is about 10miles our from the port and an easy 20m bus ride. We found  the 1.5 hours spent there was sufficient. Definitely lots to see and it’s a beautiful place. 

• Like 1