What is the " educational tour into Denali National Park" on Princess?

vbmom87

I am trying to help someone who asked me for input on a Princess Cruise Tour.  I am very familiar with the Natural History Tour", "Tundra Wilderness Tour", etc. and the difference between the tours and shuttles. I have never before  heard of the following, and I quote:  "This morning, take an educational tour into Denali National Park. "  Does anyone have any experience with this tour or know anything about it? Since some of Princess' offerings state the "Natural History Tour" I am guessing this is something different. Any ideas/thoughts/knowledge? Thanks so much!!!

I'm guessing this is just word play from Princess trying to make their Natural History Tour sound impressive. If they were offering a more inclusive tour, I'm sure they'd play it up big time. I can't imagine it would be even less than the Natural History Tour, but my experience with Princess tells me it's possible.

The last time we were there in September several years ago, we'd take the Park shuttle early in the day, and upon our return, we would drive the road back and forth several times looking for moose. I was shocked at how many Princess Natural History Tour buses I saw leaving the Park, one after another after another. I'd hate to think that someone who doesn't know better and really wants to see Denali gets stuck with only that tour.

I think I'd avoid anything that vague without checking it out. People should know exactly what they are getting when they sign up for a trip to Denali. 

We're booked on a May 8th land/sea tour. We were told the Tundra Wilderness Tour (about 8 hours I think) is not offered until late May due to the probability of the roads being inaccessible. Our itinerary has us scheduled for the Natural History Tour which doesn't go as far into the park. It has this description: "Morning Natural History Tour Glimpse the epic sweep of Denali National Park on this guided tour that travels 30 miles to the Teklanika River. Hear about the history and culture that surrounds you at a Living History presentation while visiting Savage Cabin. Find out about the local native culture and their stories at Primrose Ridge. The tour is approximately 5 hours in duration..."  

If it's a Princess sponsored excursion it's possible that someone simply reworded it and said "educational" since "history and culture" are similar descriptions of what's included. One other thought is that it might not be a Princess tour/excursion - there are many independent tours available and if the person is part of a group someone might have booked a group tour with an outside vendor. Tricia 724 has good advice to check it out to be sure. 

Thanks for the input.  We were able to confirm it is the Natural History Tour.  Princess says it goes 30 miles into the park.  The Denali website says it goes 27 miles into the park. Definitely an improvement from the 15 miles and later 17 miles the tour included in past years.  Still not far enough into the park for me though. 

Edited by vbmom87

3 hours ago, vbmom87 said:

Thanks for the input.  We were able to confirm it is the Natural History Tour.  Princess says it goes 30 miles into the park.  The Denali website says it goes 27 miles into the park. Definitely an improvement from the 15 miles and later 17 miles the tour included in past years.  Still not far enough into the park for me though. 

Were you able to upgrade?