Should we be spontaneous in a foreign county or not?

TessieTravels

My parents used to book a flight to Europe, or catch a space A flight (retired military), arrive, rent a car and head out.

They never had an issue.

I prefer to have a place to sleep arranged each night.   

But in your case, if you want to try what you have, then make some alternative plans.  Unless you are arriving on some big event or holiday time, you should be able to get SOME room.

But if you want to bail on this deal, I agree with contacted your credit card company.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:22 PM, VennDiagram said:

Friends had a NIGHTMARE experience in NYC with an AirBnB type of accommodation.  (It included trying to get a cab in a less-than-great area at 10 pm, to go to the "other" place the "host" offered, and once at the other place, discovering that the shower was non-functional and there was no bedding.... it took them a while but they got their money back through AirBnB.  It seems you have to really work at it, be persistent, and [sometimes] take it to the media.  They didn't have to go to the media, but it took them a couple of months to get their refund.)  So try the booking agency first, and if you get pushback there, try the cc company.

Airbnb is illegal in NYC, so not surprised. OP, you admit that the fee was not refundable, and that you canceled. Move on, get a hotel room (and I have used Airbnb, but read the fine print carefully).

Edited by mjkacmom