Just back from the Rhapsody 1/15/06 sailing - REVIEW

MelTed

Sunday – We parked at EZ Cruise parking. When we arrived, being a bit anxious since this was our first cruise, the attendant told us that we were too early to be shuttled with our luggage, but if we would deliver our luggage to the pier and return to park, they would then transport us to the pier without our luggage. When we returned to the parking lot, the shuttle was still bringing folks from the pier to the parking lot that had arrived from the cruise that just ended. We decided to walk back to the ship, and did so very easily (only two blocks). We got back to the pier, went through the check in process, and sat and waited to board the ship. We were there for about 15 minutes, and then they announced that we could board (11:30 a.m.). I would recommend early arrival, as there were no lines when we arrived. We went aboard and walked around a bit, then had lunch in the Windjammer, which opened at noon. We were able to access our room at 1:00. We were quite happy with an aft balcony cabin on deck 7. We explored the ship until time for the muster drill. We found the dining room and were a little bit disappointed when we discovered that we were at a table of 10 when we requested a small table.

We sailed on time at 5:00. We made it to the bow of the ship to watch the departure, and were treated by porpoises swimming in front of the ship. At dinner, we immediately felt comfortable with our dinner companions, as it seemed that everyone would get along just fine. We had quite a mix of folks of varying ages from Virginia, Ohio, Canada, Illinois, and Louisiana (us). Avellino and Natesh (waiter and assistant) were the best! During dinner we could feel that the seas were beginning to get a little rough, so after dinner we returned to our cabin to get everything unpacked.

Monday – First day at sea. We learned that the seas were from 6 to 10 feet today, and after breakfast in the windjammer, we found a spot near the pool to relax and enjoy the breeze. We quickly discovered that sitting in an open area with access to fresh air immediately helped minimize the sea sick feeling, and also discovered that when the seas are rough, it helped to take our food from the Windjammer and eat out by the pool. DW and I both were taking Dramamine non drowsy (same as bonine) that helped some, but he fresh air seemed to work best. We had lunch from the Windjammer out by the pool. After lunch, we returned to our cabin and decided to enjoy our balcony which was equipped with two lounge chairs, two regular chairs and a small table. Great place to take an afternoon nap! The first formal night was Monday, so we made our way to the dining room and enjoyed the food and company.

Tuesday – Weather was fair, quite windy and partly cloudy. In his noon briefing, the captain said that the winds were 35 knots and that if the winds were that high in port, we would not be able to dock at Key West. Fortunately, by the time 3 p.m. came around and we got into the ship channel near Key West, the winds diminished to a light breeze and we were able to dock. Seas on Tuesday were 7 to 12 feet, a little rougher that Monday. In Key West, we took the Trolley/Train tour and thoroughly enjoyed the tour. The tour ended at Mallory Square, so we stayed there and watched the entertainers until the sun set. What a beautiful sight! We headed down Duval Street to find Margarita Ville to have a Cheeseburger in Paradise, and just as our food arrived, Jimmy Buffet walked out of the kitchen to the bar. We were able to get a few good pictures before the crowd swamped him. He paused for pictures with a few folks, signed a few autographs, and left. After dinner, we explored Duval Street, and returned to the ship to enjoy the hot tub while in port. There was an evening buffet around the main pool this evening, and the presentation and food was fantastic.

Wednesday – Woke to extremely rough seas (17 feet swells) and an announcement that breakfast was being served in the Main Dining room because the Windjammer was closed, and would possibly be opened by lunch. We alter found out that due to an approaching cold front, the ship listed at around 3 a.m. on Wednesday, and caused water from the main pool to flood the Windjammer with nearly a foot of water. Several cabins on deck 8 near the front of the ship also had water in them. DW spent the day in bed with sea sickness, and I managed to go find coffee and a little snack to settle my stomach. DW had a massage scheduled for that morning (it was also her birthday), and I knew she was sick when she asked me to cancel or reschedule the massage. She finally was able to leave the cabin around 3 p.m., and we made our way to the Windjammer to get a light afternoon snack which seemed to settle our stomachs. We managed to make it to dinner, as it seemed that the seas were beginning to settle down. The dining room staff also provided entertainment that evening with an interesting rendition of “Deep in the Heart of Texas” sung in 39 different accents. We were glad that we attended dinner.

Thursday – Grand Cayman. Well….almost. We got up early to enjoy a day on shore to be greeted with an announcement from the Captain saying that the port authority was not going to allow us and 6 other cruise ships that day to tender due to sea conditions. At his talk later in the week, the Captain stated that the reason was because the dock where the tenders dock with passengers was under three feet of water. He also stated that if there was any way they could have gotten all the ships in there, they would have because that decision caused a nearly $2 million impact on the economy of Grand Cayman. We spent the day at sea. Thursday was the second formal night with Prime Rib and Lobster. Oh what a wonder dinner except for one thing – one of the folks at our dinner table decided to show up extremely intoxicated and was totally obnoxious the entire evening. Her DH also appeared to be intoxicated, and said absolutely nothing about his DW’s behavior.

Friday – Cozumel – We arrived an hour early today, and we were able to tender to shore; however, due to the sea conditions, we were only able to tender from one side of the ship instead of both sides. It took nearly two hours for us to get off the ship. We booked the Cozumel highlights tour since this was our first time there, and it was well worth it. After the tour, we had lunch at Poncho’s back yard, and the meal was absolutely wonderful. We also enjoyed shopping. At dinner, the intoxicated folks were a no show.

Saturday - Calmest day of seas and best weather of the entire week. Enjoyed being lazy around the pool. At dinner, the intoxicated folks were a no show, and the dining room staff provided entertainment again with an interesting rendition of “Oh Sol O Mio”.

Sunday – Woke to extremely foggy conditions approaching Galveston. The ship was a little late docking because of this, and we finally got off the ship over an hour behind schedule.

Overall – the food was excellent, and if you ever get bored on a cruise ship, it is your own fault. We met lots of nice people on the cruise, some of who we will continue to stay in touch with. We were extremely impressed by the level of service provided by the ship’s staff, and would definitely sail on the Rhapsody again. Oh, I almost forgot. Captain Teo stated at his Saturday talk that this was his last cruise on the Rhapsody. The cruise line was moving him to another ship. He stated that he requested to stay on the Rhapsody for a while longer, but the cruise line did not agree. One final note - to those who signed up for the Meet and Mingle - so did we. We attended another program that conflicted with the time, and did not get done in time for the meet and mingle. Please accept our apologies.

Oh, I almost forgot. Captain Teo stated at his Saturday talk that this was his last cruise on the Rhapsody. The cruise line was moving him to another ship. He stated that he requested to stay on the Rhapsody for a while longer, but the cruise line did not agree.

MelTed - did Capt Teo mention which ship he was going to? And does this rotation mean that Capt Anders is now master on Rhapsody?

I can't remember which one because I was not at the talk. One of our dinner tablemates was relaying the informaiton. I seem to believe it may have been the Enchantment, but don't quote me on that one.

I can't remember which one because I was not at the talk. One of our dinner tablemates was relaying the informaiton. I seem to believe it may have been the Enchantment, but don't quote me on that one.

MelTed, excellant review! We were on the Rhapsody with you. I wondered why the disembarkment to Cozumel was taking so long. We had #1 tender tickets and still had to wait forever. In fact my DH got so tired of waiting, he went back to the room and said he wasn't going to get off for Cozumel! Wouldn't you know, soon as he left we started getting on the tenders! Brought him back some t-shirts and a Cuban cigar so he wouldn't be to bummed out he missed Cozumel.

Was curious about your wife's massage appointment. I had an appointment to get my teeth whitened at 3pm one afternoon. After considering the cost ($169), I tried to cancel it that morning about 9am. They said if I didn't give 24 hour notice (which no one told me about), I could cancel it but they would charge a 50% fee for it. Since I didn't want to give them $85 for nothing, I kept the appointment. Of course they try to sell you another $150 in products you "are going to need to keep them white" which I declined. Did you cancel your wife's appointment at a 50% fee or re-schedule? :confused:

MelTed, It seems like you made the best of some slightly unpleasant situations. I'm glad you had a good time. My husband and I will be on the Rhapsody 2/5/06. Can't wait. This will be our second cruise out of Galveston. Last time we parked at the hotel and took a taxi to the pier, but this time are planning on EZCruise Parking. So....what time was too early to be shuttled to the pier with your luggage? Do you think it was just as easy to drop off the luggage and walk back? We like to arrive early also. Thanks for your help. Hope the seas are little calmer in Feb.

What a great review!! We sailed on Rhapsody a couple of years ago and loved it... Since then we have tried Carnival and Princess which I love, but we really liked RCCL so we are doing a Hawaiian Cruise in October on Serenade of the Seas and I cannot wait....

You were so lucky to see Jimmy Buffet, when we were there we did stop in for dinner and was hoping that he was there but a no go... The best sunset pictures that I have ever taken was in KeyWest. I have never seen a sunset that vibrant before. It was fantastic!!! It is actually setting here on my desk, so when I get depressed and fed up with work I just look at my great pictures and think of the wonderful time we had...

RCCL has great little details that DH and I love like the towel animals, (which to some people is nothing but we love it), the Soft serve Ice Cream in the buffet, we liked being able to eat dinner outside the windjammer cafe in the evenings and we loved setting on the back of the ship. It was so peaceful and wonderful.. I would drink my hot choclate and DH had his coffee.... Gee I am so glad that we are sailing on RCCL again....

Thanks for the review!!

Chanda :)

We were determined to make the best of the situation, especially since this was our first cruise.

Karshrimp - when I called the Spa, the person who answered the phone was the therapist who would be giving her the massage. I explained that she was in bed with sea sickness, and I asked if we would be charged the cancellation fee if she cancelled. The therapist replied with a statement like "Do you think she'll be sick all day?" and I responded "Do you know when the seas will calm down? My guess is she'll be sick until that happens." The therapist then told me that if she re-scheduled, then there would be no cancellation fee, so we rescheduled for Saturday.

eastwood1fam, I think we arrived at the EZ cruise parking around 10:30. I would take your luggage dierctly to the ship, then return to the parking lot, as this seemed easier to me than waiting for the shuttle. Did you make a parking reservation online? If you do, the cost was only $50.00 for the week (saved $5, and was guaranteed a space), so I would make the reservation. As I said earlier, the walk was only two blocks to the ship, but if you drive to the port, it is probably more like 10 blocks. We walked into the port through the gate that serves as the exit from the port. You will see folks from EZ Cruise parking standing there with signs advertising the parking. Drive around before you go to the parking lot, and you'll see what I mean.

MelTed, It seems like you made the best of some slightly unpleasant situations. I'm glad you had a good time. My husband and I will be on the Rhapsody 2/5/06. Can't wait. This will be our second cruise out of Galveston. Last time we parked at the hotel and took a taxi to the pier, but this time are planning on EZCruise Parking. So....what time was too early to be shuttled to the pier with your luggage? Do you think it was just as easy to drop off the luggage and walk back? We like to arrive early also. Thanks for your help. Hope the seas are little calmer in Feb.

Hi Katrina! We'll be (DH & I) on the Rhapsody 2/5/06 too. Have you signed up for the Meet & Mingle? We've got a thread going on the Roll Call board. The link is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=133100. We'd love to have you join us. :)

Great review MelTed!

De

eastwood1fam, I think we arrived at the EZ cruise parking around 10:30. I would take your luggage dierctly to the ship, then return to the parking lot, as this seemed easier to me than waiting for the shuttle. Did you make a parking reservation online? If you do, the cost was only $50.00 for the week (saved $5, and was guaranteed a space), so I would make the reservation. As I said earlier, the walk was only two blocks to the ship, but if you drive to the port, it is probably more like 10 blocks. We walked into the port through the gate that serves as the exit from the port. You will see folks from EZ Cruise parking standing there with signs advertising the parking. Drive around before you go to the parking lot, and you'll see what I mean.

MelTed, what did you do with your luggage when you went back to the parking lot to park your vehicle? We've made the online reservations for EZcruise and it sounds like the best way to go. I appreciate all of your advice and now I know the walk is doable.

De

MelTed, what did you do with your luggage when you went back to the parking lot to park your vehicle? We've made the online reservations for EZcruise and it sounds like the best way to go. I appreciate all of your advice and now I know the walk is doable.

De

When you drive up to the port terminal where the ship is docked, look for one of the porters wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He placed the luggage on his cart, I gave him a tip, and he took the luggage into the terminal for us. When you get there, there will be guards directing you where to go. Tell them you are dropping off your luggage, and they will tell you where to park, what to do, etc.

Hi everyone.

I will be cruising with family on 8/20/2006. Does anyone know if Derek Lewis is still doing the Kamikaze Karaoke in the schooner bar? I have cruised twice before on the Rhapsody and it is my favorite ship hands down.

Anyways those of you about to cruise, if he is there, ask him if he will still be around in August! He is absolutely the best entertainment onboard!

Hi everyone.

I will be cruising with family on 8/20/2006. Does anyone know if Derek Lewis is still doing the Kamikaze Karaoke in the schooner bar? I have cruised twice before on the Rhapsody and it is my favorite ship hands down.

Anyways those of you about to cruise, if he is there, ask him if he will still be around in August! He is absolutely the best entertainment onboard!

He was still there last week!

When you drive up to the port terminal where the ship is docked, look for one of the porters wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He placed the luggage on his cart, I gave him a tip, and he took the luggage into the terminal for us. When you get there, there will be guards directing you where to go. Tell them you are dropping off your luggage, and they will tell you where to park, what to do, etc.

Thanks so much, I appreciate the info. I'm trying to make everything as easy as I can. :)

De

Thank you for the great review. We going on the cruise on Feb.19th. Can't find anyone else who is. Anyway, can you tell me if the weather from Galviston to Key West was good temp. wise. We are looking forward to just sitting on the deck, with a good book and a drink, so hoping that it will be nice for our cruise. Also the formal nights, do you think I would get away with wearing my formal dress for both nights. This would save on packing, which I am trying my darndest to keep to two suitecases.

Loved the tips on being up front of the ship when you left Galviston. Did you stay in Galviston the night before.

Thank you for the great review. We going on the cruise on Feb.19th. Can't find anyone else who is. Anyway, can you tell me if the weather from Galviston to Key West was good temp. wise. We are looking forward to just sitting on the deck, with a good book and a drink, so hoping that it will be nice for our cruise. Also the formal nights, do you think I would get away with wearing my formal dress for both nights. This would save on packing, which I am trying my darndest to keep to two suitecases.

Loved the tips on being up front of the ship when you left Galviston. Did you stay in Galviston the night before.

Our weather on the trip was good, with the exception of one day (Wednesday was the coolest). DW and I both packed shorts for the week, and were ok. I would recommend bringing a light jacket with you. Check weather.com for the ports the week before you leave to give you assurance on what to pack. THe high temps were normally in the low 70's on ths ship, with one or two days being in the upper 60's.

As far as the formal nights, I wore the same suit both nights, just changed my shirt and tie. DW packed different outfits, however, I did see lots of folks who wore the same clothes both nights.

We did stay in Galveston the night before, at the Quality Inn on Seawall Boulevard.

We are staying at that hotel also. How was it. We will take a taxi to the doc. Was it far from the hotel.

Thank you for answering my questions, and the one about the evening wear. I know it was dumb, but women notice these things.

I am just curious, are the seas always rough out of Galveston? We are trying to get on a cruise in March from this port. Thanks!

Melissa

Sorry, I can't answer that one. This was my first cruise!

Hi everyone.

I agree. He IS the best.

Marie

Hi MelTed and everybody else! We will be staying at Quality Inn on Seawall as well. I noticed in their ammenities, they have a "courtesy car". Do they take you to the pier? Was there a charge? Or did you take a Taxi, if so, how much did it cost? What did you think of the poor and jacuzzi? Thanks for your review, it was very helpful to me as well.

Also, the ? about wearing the same thing both formal nites was a good one. Was wondering if I could get by with it also, dumb or not :). By the way, which nites are formal nites? Also, can you tell me about the food choices? Do they have buffets everyday, late in the nite? If I am awake at 3:00 or so in the morning and am hungry, is some place open to get some food? Thanks for clarifying this for me, I hope you don't mind!! :)

Hi MelTed and everybody else! We will be staying at Quality Inn on Seawall as well. I noticed in their ammenities, they have a "courtesy car". Do they take you to the pier? Was there a charge? Or did you take a Taxi, if so, how much did it cost? What did you think of the poor and jacuzzi? Thanks for your review, it was very helpful to me as well.

Also, the ? about wearing the same thing both formal nites was a good one. Was wondering if I could get by with it also, dumb or not :). By the way, which nites are formal nites? Also, can you tell me about the food choices? Do they have buffets everyday, late in the nite? If I am awake at 3:00 or so in the morning and am hungry, is some place open to get some food? Thanks for clarifying this for me, I hope you don't mind!! :)

SInce we live within driving distance, we drove ourselves to the hotel and to the pier. The hotel has an indoor pool and hottub. We did not use the facility, but did take a look at it. Appreared to be nice.

The formal nights were Monday and Thursday, with Thursday being steak and lobster. The Windjammer buffet was open at every meal, however, we ate in the dining room at dinner each night, except for the night we were in Key West. Tuesday night (key West Night) there was a late night buffet out by the main pool, and it did not start until around 10:30 or 11:00 p.m. On Thursday night, there was the Gala Buffet in the main dining room at midnight. We missed that one because we were exhausted, and I hear that it is quite the presentation. Would love to see pictures of that one. Room servce is available 24 hours a day at no additional charge (gratuity not included).

Archived