GTY room assignment and questions

vacalover99

Anyone know when NCL usually assigns GTY rooms?

We aren't sailing until December 2019 on the JOY - I was actually surprised NCL was even offering bookings for GTY rooms - these bookings are the GTY rooms which come with the free at sea perks.  I always thought  GTY rooms only became available to book closer to sailing date. 

Last year we booked to GTY room on the Bliss and was assigned a room the next day - however we booked 6 weeks before sailing. 

Thanks for your help! 

I guess I'm just being very impatient... I do have over 200 days until we set sail... LOL  But i'm excited!  😊....

I was curious to hear about when past cruisers received their room assignments - and if NCL really does wait until 48 hours before?!?!

Our earliest was 2-3 weeks out, but I personally wouldn't select the guarantee rate this far out unless it was a substantial savings.  It would drive me crazy not knowing where we will be.  We have taken 40++ cruises and only 1 guarantee was awful and I got it changed.

There isn't an answer that will address OP's question, with variables like ship, itinerary and cabin category (I/S, OV or Balcony ... usually, all have GTY)  It can in within a few days of booking, possibly upon full payment while others get one assigned with a "nominal" deposit ahead of the cancellation deadline and/or whether it's a holiday sailing or one-of-a-kind repo or T/A, etc.

You "choose" to accept the GTY booking with the givens, and that one will be assigned at some point at NCL's discretion ... we do NOT book that far out for variety of reasons and usually already within the penalty phrase & no cancellation deadline has passed - and had noticed the GTY staterooms not being assigned until it get closer to the sail date: hence, could be weeks, if not months after booking one.  

We just booked a last minute one at 25 days out, watching prices on SailAway with GTY cabins dropped ("should've waited another week, LOL - oh, well ... we don't look back, but might call in to ask for something else instead & try) - Category ID, that's not much more than an IX; and, 2 days later - an "IC" cabin on Deck 11 was assigned to us.  We aren't going to in the cabin that much except for Day 2 as it is the only full sea day ... banking the savings on against a balcony, maybe just an oceanview - with a poor bid to upgrade (and, that offer came on the same day as a pop-up banner, ahead of the email that came less than 24 hours later, to both of us ...)  

Downside to bidding a little extra to upgrade meant that we could well be given a porthole forward view on deck 4 or 5, or a midship picture window under the gallery.  

There are really no proven, golden rules that anyone can definitively assured of when & what ... do your own diligence & track, monitor prices over the next several months; as, the price you are booked & holding with - most likely - just a deposit or with a CN certificate, meant that you might be able to upgrade to higher category where a cabin can be selected, at the current price (or, possibly lower than now.)  It's not uncommon for cabin prices to drop last minute as it closer for sailings for the first half of December.  

What is "important" to OP & rank order isn't necessary the same for others, good luck !