YouTube showing "Pilot leaving the ship" during Alaska cruise - Why?

SempreMare

In the Caribbean it happens all the time, no? My husband and I watched it happen right outside our cabin many times. The pilot boards the boat as it sails into port, and then disembarks after docking. When the ship leaves port, the pilot is onboard and then disembarks to go back to port. I never thought Alaska was any different.

Ohhhh.  Thank you @TwinMamainMN.

This is my second cruise ever, and I didn't see this happen on our first cruise to the carribean eons ago from a balcony cabin.

I was confusing the role of the captain vs the pilot. 

DON'T LAUGH but (Ok go ahead and laugh...) but

when I saw that in the video I literally yelled out loud, "OMG the pilot is abandoning the ship!"   

"Why in the world would he abandon the ship !?!" 

So I just googled ...

http://www.beyondships2.com/faq---pilots.html

>> Pilots are trained mariners, often former ship captains, who are licensed by the various ports.  Their primary role is to advise the ship’s officers regarding conditions in the port - - tides, the location of sand bars, changes in the ship channel etc.

SempreMare,

Based on the film, they were on a HAL cruise departing Vancouver bound for Seward. You see them passing under 1st Narrows then navigating along, what I believe is most likely Johnsone Channel. On clearing Queen Charlotte Sound, at Pine Island, most Mainstream Lines disembark the BC Coast Pilots and head up Hecate Strait, which is not compulsory pilotage waters.

The problem I am having with this scenario is that the pilot is normally disembarked about 09:00 -10:00, depending on the tides at Seymour Narrows. So definitely not at night. My assumption therefore, is they navigated the entire BC Inside Passage and disembarked the BC Coast Pilots at Tripple Island, by Prince Rupert. This would normally be 18:00 to 20:00, so if later in the season, it would be dark.

The BC & Alaska Coasts are compulsory pilotage waters, where experienced mariners with local knowledge supplement the Bridge Team. If the voyage is > 12 hrs, 2 pilots are required. The pilots board normally 30 - 60 mins before departure from the berth, remaining onboard until reaching the end of the pilotage waters. They normally disembark down a special pilot ladder to a high speed launch. In particularly rough waters, they can be embarked/disembarked by helicopter.  

@SuperCrewBear thank you for those pictures!   That third picture down almost makes me scream out loud! 

@Heidi13 I would love to see this happen and take pictures of it on my Alaska cruise on Holland America's Westerdam from Seward to Vancouver.   I'm booked in a mid-ship balcony (Neptune) suite on I believe the 7'th floor on the left side.  Given that my balcony will be facing the coast most of the time as the boat goes from north to south, will this improve my odds of seeing it? 

What floor would be best to take pics from? 

I just became aware of marinetraffic.com thanks to @whogo in the topic about yesterday's collision between the Nieuw Amsterdam and Oosterdam.   I was thinking about subscribing to notifications for vessel-to-vessel events the month before I leave.  Then, I'd have an idea for approximately when the pilot boat would connect up with the Westerdam at each port.   It seems like there would be 7-8 opportunities to see this:

Seward - leaving

Haines - leaving and arriving

Juneau - leaving and arriving

Ketchikan - leaving and arriving

Vancouver - arriving  (though it might be too early)

marinetraffic.com  event notification type page

image.png.72ffa8e286423505ff46f2b50faba5c6.png

Provided your balcony is on the same side that the pilot boards/disembarks you should get a good view, provided lifeboat don't stick out & block your view. Next best place is one of the upper decks that overhang the ship's side. At least on an upper deck you can get from side to side.

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

Thank you @Heidi13!

Who on the ship would know what side the pilot will board and disembark? 

Would they wear a certain emblem on their uniform so I would recognize them? 

If you see the Captain, Staff Captain or Senior Deck Officer, they may know in advance, but many times it depends on the conditions.

Officer braid varies by cruise line, but the Deck Officers will normally have gold stripes with no colour between them. Might be best asking an officer what time the pilot is expected and be ready on the upper decks.

• Thanks 1