Upselling Galore - Specialty Restaurants

First time on RC and I just find the prices far too high.  Chops is nearly $54 on my planner and that’s nearly 50% more than similar steak restaurants I’ve been too on other cruise lines.  Fact is you get a good quality meal included that I think I’d pay about $30-35 at home here in the UK.  So considering you’ve essentially paid for that already in the cruise fare. That’s like saying Chops is costing effectively nearly $90 per person.... without drinks!

ill be giving that a miss unless there’s some decent discounts onboard!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Specialty dining has no value for me.  Considering I've already paid for a meal in the MDR, specialty should be $10-15 per person tops.

You can usually get one of the Chops steaks in the MDR for about $15-$17.  Well worth it once per cruise, even if you are not getting the Chops "ambiance".

4 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Now I don’t feel so cheap by not booking specialty dining on our next cruise.  We are also a family of four so specialty dining is simply out of our budget. And for me personally doesn’t make sense if we are on a cruise to spend that much money on dining when there are other options included. I told my kids either we’re on a cruise or we go out to dinner every night fir a week but not both.  We are relatively new to cruising and it is just simply insane And what one can spend on port excursions and specialty drinking and dining packages. Makes the cruise fare look like a cover charge. But thank God cruise line are not at the point yet where one has to do book extra. we choose not to and I’m pretty sure we will still have a great  time.  If we are asked we simply say no. Unless the deal is too good to be true. 

Love " make the cruise fare look like a cover charge"😉

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You can usually get one of the Chops steaks in the MDR for about $15-$17.  Well worth it once per cruise, even if you are not getting the Chops "ambiance".

No question the $17 Chops steak in the MDR is better, but I still have a hard time having to fork out $17 per person to have a somewhat better cut of meat with none of the rest associated with a better dinner experience. 

For me, two people paying $34 plus 18% in the MDR doesn't have value either.  I'm okay with most MDR food.  I'll save the $34 and visit a nice land restaurant sometime and just eat off the regular MDR menu with no additional charges.  

The whole Chops experience should be $17 per person, not just the steak.   

Its so much money.  We checked into Itzumi because we are habachi crazy.  Weve been to almost every habachi restaurant in NEO and Columbus.

$54 per person plus drinks yikes! Our highest quality local habachi restaurant averages $20-$32 a plate plus drinks.  Given that we go almost once a month, why would I pay that to try the ships hibachi!