Prestay in London Churchill War Rooms

MSEm

We will be arriving in London 5 days early for our British Ilse Explorer cruise on May 11.

I went to the Churchill War Room website.  The site recommends purchase of entry tickets.  You are given a choice for entry time.  They are now letting in a certain number of visitors each hour.  There are long lines for ticket purchase and then another line for entry if you do not have a specified time for entry.

It was easy to purchase on line using my credit card. (I am in the USA) Also I was immediately given a reference ticket number and a hot link for the email that was sent to my.  I printed out the tickets. This is on the Churchill War Room web sit:   iwm.org.uk    not another vendor selling the tickets.

You can also just show the tickets on your phone. We plan on seeing the Churchill War Rooms on Wed, May 8

• Like 2

We visited the Churchill War Rooms last July following our Midnight Sun cruise.  It’s a very interesting site, well laid out with lots of good information.  Allow at least a few hours to see it.  FYI, we purchased advance tickets and ‘skipped the line’ of about 200 people.

I have to say the Churchill War Rooms are a must see.  The first time we went was on a May Day.  The anarchists were threatening their usual foolishness so London was nearly deserted.  About 5,000 extra police.  We walked across Westminster bridge with only Police as company, then down to the War Rooms.  I was amazed they were open.  We were the only people, other than staff, in the entire place.  The point?  Wait till May Day and go when the demonstrators are tearing up Picadilly. 🍸 The next time was still not too crowded but I think the weekends are actually better, or so I was told.  

• Like 2

The War Rooms are excellent as is the Imperial War Museum if you have time for both.  Viking offers an extension called Churchill's Britain that is expensive ($3,000+) but looks good.  Has me thinking of finding a cruise that ends in London just so I can take the extension.  I called Viking but they only allow you to book it if your cruise begins or ends in London.

• Like 1

The expensive extension isn't actually necessary. Our cruise ends with an overnight in London, and one of the shore excursions offered is the Churchill War Rooms and War Museum. We are very much hoping to be able to book it!

No, the extension is not necessary but certainly appealing.  In addition to the War Rooms there are 5 other tours apparently over 4 days:

• 6 guided tours: St. Paul’s Cathedral; Privileged Access to the Churchill War Rooms with private dinner; tours of Chartwell and Blenheim Palace with informative presentations by prominent figures; Bletchley Park; Panoramic Churchill’s Sites of London

4 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

No, the extension is not necessary but certainly appealing.  In addition to the War Rooms there are 5 other tours apparently over 4 days:

• 6 guided tours: St. Paul’s Cathedral; Privileged Access to the Churchill War Rooms with private dinner; tours of Chartwell and Blenheim Palace with informative presentations by prominent figures; Bletchley Park; Panoramic Churchill’s Sites of London

These are all great stops.  If at all possible we recommend Bletchley Park immensely.  

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

These are all great stops.  If at all possible we recommend Bletchley Park immensely.  

Bletchley Park was on our agenda a couple of years ago. Had planned to visit when driving down M1 towards Canterbury, but got delayed. Didn't want to hit M25 at rush hour, so had to skip the visit. Still hoping to make it one day, but it is so far outside London.

• Like 1

Just got back from Bletchley Park.  Took a train from Euston Station to Bletchely Park. Round trip Fare was just over 20 pounds each.  About a 5 minute walk from the train station to Bletchley.  Arrive about 10 AM and left about 3 pm.  Very interesting place. Learned about the Piegons of War (message carriers. Some were parachuted into France in special crates. Also some were water to be used by downed plane crew.)

• Like 1