Why I Will Never Again Sail With X

mldiluna

35 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Artificial lights can never replace good old daylight.    Tendering in the middle of the night is dangerous and fairly unusual.   Of course if Celebrity scheduled a tour for the middle of the night, shame on them.    If they can’t dock they should not offer the tours.    

I repeat my previous question: have you ever tendered when it's dark out? While tendering "in the middle if the night" is unusual, tendering after sunset or before sunrise is not. I've seen situations when "good old daylight" was no help at all when glare or the contrast between bright daylight and shadow was a definite problem- especially when passengers wearing sunglasses were added to the mix. Give me even, bright, artificial lights any time.  The only possible danger I could see at 2 am is crew inattention or slowed reactions due to fatigue, but this could be a factor at any time of day. Most sea crew are accustomed to variable shift hours. 

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We missed the previous tender at 1:15 am, just as it left.  Crew that were dressed up to go out, were frustrated that they had missed it too.  They complained that there was no point waiting, they had to be to bed by 2 am, if they wanted any sleep, and never get off the ship.

I think 45 minutes to take a tender to shore, go to a bar / club for a drink, and tender back (I assume that’s what you mean by “dressed up to go out”) is a VERY optimistic timeline, even for the most seasoned crew! 🙂

Edited by jsea

1 hour ago, jsea said:

I think 45 minutes to take a tender to shore, go to a bar / club for a drink, and tender back (I assume that’s what you mean by “dressed up to go out”) is a VERY optimistic timeline, even for the most seasoned crew! 🙂

I think that was the point, the tender ran every 45 min, and they just missed the boat.  It sounded like they had just a couple hours to head out, which made it not worth their time to wait.

7 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I think that was the point, the tender ran every 45 min, and they just missed the boat.  It sounded like they had just a couple hours to head out, which made it not worth their time to wait.

Ah, I interpreted your statement “they had to be to bed by 2 am” to mean they had from 1:15am until 2am when it was their bedtime. Hence, not a couple hours, but rather, 45 minutes. Sounds like that tender operation was doomed for failure for many folks from the start! 🙂 

Just now, jsea said:

Ah, I interpreted your statement “they had to be to bed by 2 am” to mean they had from 1:15am until 2am when it was their bedtime. Hence, not a couple hours, but rather, 45 minutes. Sounds like that tender operation was doomed for failure for many folks from the start! 🙂 

You were correct, I am mixing different crew statement together.  If you got on the tender at 1:15, you would have to stay on the entire time to be back by 2am.  When they said they only had a couple hours and it wasn't worth waiting, they obviously were planning to head for bed later.