UK Mobile phones/ Internet on RC in the Med

1 hour ago, misslottie said:

A question if I may: do you auto-connect to the “cellular at sea” service? I just wonder if your phone auto-connects once you’ve left port, would you be charged by your carrier?

Yes, though it probably takes about an hour after leaving port to be far enough out to sea before the ship cell tower becomes active. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, misslottie said:

Thank you for posting about the cellular at sea. A question if I may: do you auto-connect to the “cellular at sea” service? I just wonder if your phone auto-connects once you’ve left port, would you be charged by your carrier?

I’m with O2 and when I’ve travelled to Greece and Spain there’s been no charges under the new rules for 4G usage, so I understand that once in port I’ll be under normal charges.

I am with EE but O2 will be similar.

In port if you get a signal it will be the local EU operator or an O2 company which is free.

Often you can get a signal when sailing but once the cellular at sea comes on if you haven't already then switch your phone off as Cellular at sea connects automatically.

EE texts me to say you have connected to a maritime signal to warn me of charges if I use the cellular at sea.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, misslottie said:

Thank you for posting about the cellular at sea. A question if I may: do you auto-connect to the “cellular at sea” service? I just wonder if your phone auto-connects once you’ve left port, would you be charged by your carrier?

I’m with O2 and when I’ve travelled to Greece and Spain there’s been no charges under the new rules for 4G usage, so I understand that once in port I’ll be under normal charges.

Yes if you connect to Cellular at Sea you will be charged as if you are in the USA for any data received. Make sure data roaming is off when you leave port to avoid this. I always turn into plane mode.

A little off the topic, but can anyone explain to me how you can connect to the ship wifi to use the app but without connecting to cellular at sea? We'll be on Independence doing the med with UK mobiles soon so again are happy to use our 4G data when connected to european masts, but I know to use the Royal app you have to connect to their wifi which I thought meant turning aeroplane mode off. How do people do this usually?

1 hour ago, leaves said:

A little off the topic, but can anyone explain to me how you can connect to the ship wifi to use the app but without connecting to cellular at sea? We'll be on Independence doing the med with UK mobiles soon so again are happy to use our 4G data when connected to european masts, but I know to use the Royal app you have to connect to their wifi which I thought meant turning aeroplane mode off. How do people do this usually?

Put the phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi.