GTY cabin thoughts?

bones774

Leaving this Sat, Dawn outta NY, have GTY cabin assignment, still no cabin assigned. I'm fully aware of all the pitfalls and I'm fine with whatever cabin. Just wondering about others thoughts and opinions on getting assigned at the dock? Good or bad karma? Any experiences.

Thanks

Edited by bones774

We have booked tons of guarantees and we have never had to wait until we arrived at the dock. I’ve heard about it happening to other people, but it has never happened to us. We’ve only had one guarantee go badly, but it wasn’t on NCL and we were able to fix it.  Have a wonderful vacation. 🥂

2 minutes ago, cruisencrazy said:

We have booked tons of guarantees and we have never had to wait until we arrived at the dock. I’ve heard about it happening to other people, but it has never happened to us. We’ve only had one guarantee go badly, but it wasn’t on NCL and we were able to fix it.  Have a wonderful vacation. 🥂

I've done other GTY and usually get cabin assignment fairly rapidly, anyway I'm checking back every couple of hours. Thanks

One year this happened to me.  First guarantee I had ever booked, so I called the travel agent to make sure everything was still OK with my reservation and she was able to call NCL and get my cabin number.  Don't know if you went through an agent, but if you did, you could try a quick phone call.

Specific to NCL: it would help if posts made clear whether they mean "Sailaway" (discounted price, no promo offers) or "Guarantee" (with promo offers, current list price, usually last-minute bookings). Sailaway fares are sometimes the first to sell out even though there are scads of other similar cabins available at regular price. NCL offers a Guarantee when there are very few cabins left in the category, sometimes only accessible cabins, and they want to keep a little flexibility.

50 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Specific to NCL: it would help if posts made clear whether they mean "Sailaway" (discounted price, no promo offers) or "Guarantee" (with promo offers, current list price, usually last-minute bookings). Sailaway fares are sometimes the first to sell out even though there are scads of other similar cabins available at regular price. NCL offers a Guarantee when there are very few cabins left in the category, sometimes only accessible cabins, and they want to keep a little flexibility.

I think mine is sailaway (discounted, no promo) but is very last minute. The NCL docs state GTY cat IX.

and bought thru NCL.COM

1 hour ago, meglet said:

One year this happened to me.  First guarantee I had ever booked, so I called the travel agent to make sure everything was still OK with my reservation and she was able to call NCL and get my cabin number.  Don't know if you went through an agent, but if you did, you could try a quick phone call.

Don't wanna force a cabin decision from NCL, kinda playing my cards here and waiting for the hand to be dealt.

We are NCL Platinum and booked our 1st GTY balcony (with promos)  last Jan,. for a Dec. '19 sailing on Getaway.  Of course I've been curious about our cabin assignment and check balcony and mini availability periodically..  After reading this thread yesterday I went to NCL site and was surprised to see that we've been assigned a cabin 6 months in advance !  There are still many balconys and minis available in all categories and I'm not too thrilled that our cabin is as far away from the elevators as possible, so am thinking about trying to change it, or book a mini for $100. PP more (providing I can keep the prepaid grat. and OBC).  Final payment isn't until late July.  I'm not really asking for advice, just relating our experience.  Thanks for playing.  Happy sailing!  steve

we booked IX at travel expo and got cabin allocated before we made final deposit.  Ended up with IE which we were ok with but still got the chance to bid an upgrade when we were 80 days out.    We are still waiting to hear but our friends heard over a week ago and were successful getting balcony aft. 

Look at you summary (not at the top of your booking).  The cabin may be there.  I was assigned a cabin number within 24 hours.  The top of the cruise summary still says GTY, but the cabin and the "new category" is listed further down when you expand the cabin option for check-in / completing cruise documents.

Edited by 2tnts