Possible to do Pearl Harbor on embarkation day

jdvmd

Have friends who are sailing on the Pride of America this Saturday. They want to do Pearl Harbor when they disembark on the 15th but purchased round-trip transfers through NCL.

NCL will not refund the return trip to the airport because it is four days before sailing and in full penalty phase. They were planning to book the excursion through the ship so now they are looking at going to Pearl Harbor after they land and get to the ship. It sails at 7 p.m. Would it be possible for them to grab a taxi/Uber after they check in and drop off their bags?

If you are not in line before they open, the lines are crazy long.  I would find something else to see unless you can find a tour that will get you right in.  Ive seen Roberts Hawaii tour busses all over the island.  Maybe they have one?  Remember you have to board 2 hours prior to departure.

5 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

Have friends who are sailing on the Pride of America this Saturday. They want to do Pearl Harbor when they disembark on the 15th but purchased round-trip transfers through NCL.

NCL will not refund the return trip to the airport because it is four days before sailing and in full penalty phase. They were planning to book the excursion through the ship so now they are looking at going to Pearl Harbor after they land and get to the ship. It sails at 7 p.m. Would it be possible for them to grab a taxi/Uber after they check in and drop off their bags?

Absolutely. If they are willing to get up early, it can be easily done.

https://visitpearlharbor.org/tour/passport-to-pearl-harbor/

They can easily visit Pearl Harbor if they check in before lunch. They need to keep in mind that visits to the Arizona are currently suspended and if that is their main reason for going it is not worth it. There are many other things there for history buffs including the exhibits, the USS Bowfin and the USS Missouri. Lines are not really an issue since you can't go to the memorial.

From the National Park Service:

https://www.nps.gov/valr/faqs.htm

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far. I should have mentioned they are actually flying in on Saturday and arriving at 12:20 p.m. They want to see the USS Arizona so I guess this plan will now work for them.

They can also get tickets for timed entry and not have to wait in line. There are only a few available and I think you have to get them online the morning before you want to visit. I want to say it’s online 7 AM Hawaii time the morning prior to visit?  You’ll have to check me on that. We did it last year and I really don’t remember the details.

If they are flying in on Saturday and the boat sails Saturday there is no way you can visit and get to the ship. It has been 15 years since we visited but we were picked up by NCL driver around 8 or so on a Saturday morning and got to Pearl Harbor shortly thereafter. The tickets are given out as a group, only so many people fit in the amphitheater to watch the movie, which is the first stop. So Group 1 has so many tickets, group 2 has the same amount, group 3 and so on. Our tour guide suggested that when the group in front of us was called that we should get in line with the group at the rear of that group. That way we were first in line when our group would be called. When you enter the amphitheater move towards the lower right hand side of seating because the theater empties from the lower right. When you get onto the boat to go past the memorial sit closest to the dock you are tied to because the boat swings around to the left and you will now be closest to the Memorial as you float past.

The time from arriving in Pearl to getting into the amphitheater seemed to be about an hour or so based on our group number. the tour and visit to the Missouri felt like a few hours to complete. We were able to take in a drive through of the Punch Bowl and get back in time to embark but I don't think you will have enough time if you are landing mid-day and sailing the same day

5 hours ago, jdvmd said:

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far. I should have mentioned they are actually flying in on Saturday and arriving at 12:20 p.m. They want to see the USS Arizona so I guess this plan will now work for them.

They are going to have to visit after the cruise. If their flight is on time, it will be at least 2:30 before they are on the ship. By the time they get to Pearl it will be well after 3:00 and since it closes at 5:00 that is simply not enough time.