London tours

3 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

Thanks for your quick reply. We are staying at Holiday Inn London - Kensington Wrights Lane Kensington London GB W8 5SP, which I believe is South Kensington. The only thing that is a must is  to tour is Tower of London and I want skip the line tickets for that. We'll be in London August  arriving on Thursday to Gatwick and leaving Sunday. Since we aren't in a hurry to get to hotel, we are thinking of taking the National Express to Victoria Station and then cab to hotel. The train is only 30 minutes faster and more money.  WE were going to explore around our hotel that afternoon. I think the Victoria and Albert Museum isn't too far from our hotel. We were thinking of Victoria and Albert Museum also. We have been to Natural History Museums elsewhere and would like to see more thing pertinent to England. 

It's actually a very well located section of Kensington 🙂

Cabs are OUTRAGEOUS in London.  Take the National Express to Victoria Station and transfer to the Circle Line Tube, get off at Kensington High Street and you'll be steps from your hotel. 

You are probably about a mile from the V&A, but it's a really pleasant walk that you'll be glad to take after a long flight.  (You can also take the Circle line Tube to the So Ken station and walk a couple of blocks).  

I"ll answer the rest of your questions in a bit--work calls!

41 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

We are staying at Holiday Inn London - Kensington Wrights Lane Kensington London GB W8 5SP, which I believe is South Kensington. 

Wright's Lane is off High Street Kensington, between the High Street and the Cromwell Road, not in South Kensington. 

42 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

Since we aren't in a hurry to get to hotel, we are thinking of taking the National Express to Victoria Station and then cab to hotel. The train is only 30 minutes faster and more money.  

That timing can't be right, surely? The journey by road from Gatwick is soul destroying and subject to delay, which is why most folk will recommend one of the trains. 

2 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

90 minutes is National Exress’s estimate for trip. What’s your estimate? I live in Orlando and understand awful traffic with Disney and the major construction on I-4 

I'm sure they know best for their journey, but that suggests you think the train takes an hour. It doesn't! And if you are going to take the suggestion of the tube to High St. Ken, the train arrives at Victoria Station rather than up the road at the coach station.

So I'd plan it this way...

First full day, after a good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast, take the Tube (Circle Line, get off St. James Park) to Buckingham Palace for the Changing of the Guard.  You'll want to get there around 10:00 am to get a decent spot.  The Ceremony begins at 10:45 and lasts until about 11:30.  From there, stroll through St. James Park (stop to see the Pelicans and come out neat Downing Street (which you can not access) over towards Westminster Abbey--you can stop and look at Big Ben.  Get to Westminster Abbey around 1:50 in time for the 2:00 Verger Tour--you'll want to take the tour, you get some additional access.  

The tour is about 90 minutes if I recall.  After that take your Thames boat tour. Personally I would skip this in lieu of the Churchill War Rooms which are exceptionally well done.

Second Full day:

Start at Harrods at 10:00 am opening.  Proceed to Parliament and take the extremely interesting 90 minute tour around 12:30.  (Saturdays only!) Take the Circle Line Tube to the Tower of London station and enter the Tower.  You absolutely want to take the Yoeman Warder Tour.  It's free with your ticket, and they run every half hour or so.  No reservation needed for that part.  They take about an hour and then you'll have time to view the Crown Jewels and such.  You should finish about 5:30 or so.

You could stop in and have a drink at Gordon's Wine Bar or maybe dinner at 28-50 which has fantastic food and a great atmosphere.  Another option is to go to TKTS and see what's on, and then a quick dinner at Bistro 1 before the show.  

I'd plan it all in advance and buy tickets and even your Oyster cards ahead of time.  Some of these things absolutely need advance reservations.

Let me know if you have any questions.