Hump on Serenade to Alaska

I am looking at an Alaska cruise for next summer on the Serenade of the Seas. They have some hump balconies that look a little larger than the others. My best way to describe it is the corner hump (last one on the curve). No neighboring balcony on one side. Anything I am not thinking of as a plus or negative to choosing one of those? Does the view suffer any from the location? Its near the center of ship where Centrum area is. Any concern about the noise? Thank you!

Our experience has been that we sometimes hear the loud music from the centrum and cigarette smoke.  We like to be a minimum of around 5 staterooms away from the centrum.

As I read more it seems the noise is the issue and I would not want to risk something like that.

You mentioned smoke and another concern I had is that I was going to choose a cabin on the starboard side for the view up the coast but I see all the smoking sections are on that side of the ship. Will that be a concern on the starboard side, 9th deck? We just got off Freedom and were on the port side but the people smoking on their balconies near us made it terrible outside much of the time. Would that be the case all the time on the starboard side?

Here's a post I made over a year ago after some research on Centrum cabins over a few sailings. While this is specific to deck 8, you can likely transpose the results for all the decks and get the approximately same results.....

"Hopefully I may help anyone in the future perhaps with these hump cabins. In the last 3 years I've sailed Serenade, Radiance and Jewel 3 times... never witnessed fire doors closed at Centrum, I suspect it's ship by ship basis. There's been many threads on CC about the Centrum noise and various cabin locations.... I can't specifically find the ones I've posted on however I've done a lot of research by walking around the deck at the Centrum during the day and also during evening shows, etc."

image1.png

"The red lines are where it's open to the Centrum. Everything else is blocked. The arrows are the openings into the cabin hallways.

The very worst cabin to have for noise Starboard is 8588. The cabin door is directly at the opening. I've had the first interior in from the Centrum as well as hump cabins... Any cabin within about 2 doors of that opening will get the drone of the Centrum and it will filter down behind that wall.

Conversely, I most recently had dead center hump 8596 on Jewel (4-5 doors away from direct opening) and while I heard the drone of the band within the hallway, once in my cabin with door closed there was no noise. Good friends of ours had 8598 as well as 8606 on a previous cruise.... no noise issues within the cabins.

I've never booked on the port side, but read many reports on CC that those first two cabins forward of the Centrum (8086 & 8088) with the larger balconies have significant noise issues as they are directly exposed from the hallway with no wall. The first cabins aft (8102 & 8104) have less of a problem because of the walled areas. Hope this helps any of you in the future. :)"

image2.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95

We were on the Jewel for the Eastbound TA last year in cabin 8594 and the fire doors were closed every night. As Hoopster said, there was a tiny bit of noise in the hallway, but once the cabin door was closed it was silent. We never did smell any smoke 

Hi we were on Seranade last week we had no noise in cabin 8020 but each time we left the centrum we mentioned how much noise the first cabins along there must have . we had a great time and really enjoyed out trip !!

Last August we had 7108 and 7110 on Radiance. It was sometimes loud in the hallway, but once we were in our room, we never heard much of anything. 7108 has a deeper balcony as it is the first one behind the hump. 7110 is an accessible room and was massive and had a big wide balcony too. We didn't mind the location at all.