Crown Princess - Pier in NY

Second seating

We have a limo and it is $150 each way (it is a big limo) but when you figure what it would be to pay the tolls over the Outerbridge and Verranzaro and parking for nine days it is just a bit more but we aren't driving and are on vacation officially the minute we leave the house. We had an option for a town car as well but I figure we should do it right since we booked using Amex Platinum Travel and we saved/got about $600 worth of bonuses/perks.

Just picked up a $55 air one way from Bos to JFK, so thanks for the info. Now, best way to get from Jfk to Red Hook? I got a quote from one of the limo places for $65 for two including tip and tolls. Sound about right?

thanks

Just picked up a $55 air one way from Bos to JFK, so thanks for the info. Now, best way to get from Jfk to Red Hook? I got a quote from one of the limo places for $65 for two including tip and tolls. Sound about right?

thanks

there aren't any tolls between JFK and Red Hook, not unless the limo driver is going to go out of his way and double back. We just took a taxi yesterday from JFK and they listed anywhere in Brooklyn from between $30 - $45 (if I remember correctly). It cost us $33, but we are in a different direction from Red Hook. It would probably be about $45, so, if you normally tip generously, and want to be picked up, $65 is ok.

We live in south jersey and called local limosine services. Most have van or limo sevices depending on the size of you party and includes roundtrip. We felt it was reasonable and took away the anxiety of parking, trying to find where it is etc.We booked already for next Jun23rd. Hope this helps.

Karen,

We are sailing on the Crown Princess in October 2006. I wanted to take Amtrak to NY but now it looks like it may be more of a headache to go by train than flying. What do you think is the best option? I've taked the train before and the 10 minute drive to the ship was great.

laura

We (wife and 2 teens)also booked on same cruise also for 50th. Just learned cruise leaves from brooklyn(that sucks). we live in bergen county. Friday afternoon to brooklyn a potential nightmare if you ask me. I'm gonna look into taking ferries from weehawken-if they have any that go anywhere near redhook. I'm thinking they do.Even if we have to change ferry i know it'd be better than driving thru midtown and then battery tunnel.

Hi laura...Well, IMHO, Amtrak is a breeze. We have never even considered flying to NYC, because it would be ludicrous, imho, for us to drive to BWI and deal with all the airport hassles when we could already be in our train seats headed for NY by the time we even got in the shuttle from the parking lot at BWI.

Again, imho, being in a taxi in NY for 10 minutes or 45 minutes makes no difference whatsoever. The taxi driver is still going to get your destination, whether it's the Manhattan piers or the Red Hook piers.

I made a cancellable hotel reservation for September 2 in case we decide to go up the day before. If so, we'll simply take the train, taxi it to the hotel and the next morning when we check out, September 3, take a taxi to Red Hook.

I'm wondering what's making you think the train will be more of a headache this time? Nothing's changed except the Manhattan taxi destination.

We haven't discussed anything because DH has no idea. The cruise is a surprise for his April birthday. ;)

Karen,We are sailing on the Crown Princess in October 2006. I wanted to take Amtrak to NY but now it looks like it may be more of a headache to go by train than flying. What do you think is the best option? I've taked the train before and the 10 minute drive to the ship was great.laura

laura, You're welcome...anytime. Sure, there will be more traffic and take more time because you're going from one borough to another, but you're still sitting in a taxi. Don't know how much congestion we'll run into since we depart on a Sunday, but, I'll let the taxi driver worry about it. Our hotel is in lower Manhattan (if we use the hotel) and it's about 3.5 miles to the port. Hey, it's NYC, there's always traffic! I prefer to "not sweat the small stuff". If we leave our hotel at 11AM or arrive at Penn Station at 11AM, we'll have plenty of time to get on the ship. ;)

Karen,From reading the thread it seemed like a bit more traffic, time & congestion to get to the cruise ship terminal. But as you put it 15 or 50 minutes in a taxi absolutely beats flying anywhere. Thanks for the information.

laura

Karen, I have been following this thread and am also thinking of Amtrak to Penn Station. Would you please let me know how it went after you get back. We go on the Crown Princess in October. We took the train in July for our cruise on NCL but that was to the current ship terminal. Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

Linda

Linda, sure. Somewhere I'll post how the taxi ride was. Check out the cruisers sailing June through August also. I'm sure there will be pax using Grand Central as well as Penn Station.

We've taken taxis from the Upper East and West Sides down to Soho and Tribeca in one trip, so..... When we go to Red Hook, the Brooklyn Bridge or the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel will be part of the trip. I'm planning on 45 mins to an hour from Penn Station and 30 minutes from the Financial District/Lower Manhattan. Hey, if these numbers are on the high end, even better. ;)

Karen, I have been following this thread and am also thinking of Amtrak to Penn Station. Would you please let me know how it went after you get back. We go on the Crown Princess in October. We took the train in July for our cruise on NCL but that was to the current ship terminal. Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

Linda

Karen, thank you so much for all the info. I will wait until it gets much closer before I decide. We are doing the repo cruise and leave out of NY and then will have to fly back from San Juan. We don't have to switch trains at all so that makes it really easy for us. I am thinking of flying back to Newark, NJ and taking the train home from there. I heard we would have to take a mono to the train but once on the train we won't have to switch at all. Decisions, decisions. I will decide later. A friend told me to wait and we may all meet somewhere and then get a limo to the pier.

run...You're welcome. I really know nothing about transportation from Newark. Yes, lots of decisions, but, you'll work it out. For both of us, by the time we sail, things may change a thousand times. Good luck and enjoy the CB in April! You'll be onboard before you know it! ;)

Karen, thank you so much for all the info. I will wait until it gets much closer before I decide. We are doing the repo cruise and leave out of NY and then will have to fly back from San Juan. We don't have to switch trains at all so that makes it really easy for us. I am thinking of flying back to Newark, NJ and taking the train home from there. I heard we would have to take a mono to the train but once on the train we won't have to switch at all. Decisions, decisions. I will decide later. A friend told me to wait and we may all meet somewhere and then get a limo to the pier.

Call Princess and see if they are selling transfers to Newark. It may be worth whatever they are charging. I cannot imagine that any type of transportation from that area to Newark would be under $75 at the very least.

Sooo, from reading this I gather that from our Upper West Side hotel, I should allow 1.5 hours to get to Red Hook and we'll be travelling over the Brooklyn Bridge? And about $60 cost?

I saw someone mentionned a water taxi - is this feasible from the UWS?

My family will be on the June 23rd sailing. We need transportation from LGA to Embassy Suites. Then from Embassy Suites to pier. This is my dilemma, we will have 10 pieces of luggage and a person in a wheel chair. Would it be best to get a limo. or a van? Can someone recommend a company.

Thanks

Archived