Crown Princess - Pier in NY

Second seating

Town Cars do charge for waiting if you are not ready to go at the scheduled pick up time but I would think that after a few reviews are in for ships using the new Red Hook facilities you should have a pretty good idea how long clearing customs & the ship will take.

Thats's true, but there won't be many ships docking there before we leave home the end of this month.

Its 2.40 per mile.....40 per 1/6 of a mile.

I'm pretty sure it's 1/5th mile - see http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml - but that's the thing they always fool with when they change rates. It goes up in cost and down in distance or vice versa to make it harder to compare.

I talked to my parents who met a woman off the QM2 on the train yesterday. Seems they had a bus from the pier to Penn Station, so no useful data there.

Let's see...

WRT to JFK, there is a flat fare of $45 + tip + toll to Manhattan for cabs, but for the other boroughs it's meter rates. The good news is that Red Hook should be cheaper.

I would suggest you visit the internet and print up a good map - the cabbies may not know how to reach the pier. However, by law, they must take you to any destination in the 5 boroughs.

If you have problems, there will be a cab starter at the airport, who might (yeah right) help. Write down the cab's license (it will be a number, letter and then two more numbers) and the drivers license # - both MUST be displayed - look at the partition behind the drivers head.

-----Burton

I must admit I may be wrong about the 1/6. But if you go the way the Red Hook cruise terminal suggests from Kennedy to the pier it will be significantly above the $45.00 amount. They send you by the Belt Parkway which is 25 miles from the airport to the pier. Its shorter van wyck to grand central to LIE to BQE - west to the pier(exit atlantic avenue) 20 miles. By the streets Atlantic avenue its 16. But there are times that going by the Belt will be faster. The flat rate for Manhattan is only from the Airport to Manhattan not the other way- that I am sure and positive.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the Golden Princess yesterday. It took about 15 minutes to get through customs & immigrations. We crossed the street and were planning on grabbing a cab to Penn Station. We were greeted by a car service that would take us to Penn station for $41. We were at the train station in about 1/2 hour. The ship was charging $19/pp for a transfer that ran a circular route between Penn Station, the Transit Bus station and Grand Central. But you did not know which one dropped off first and when you would arrive. I like the Lincoln Town Car.

laura

Great news! Thanks, Laura.

I just got off the Golden Princess yesterday. It took about 15 minutes to get through customs & immigrations. We crossed the street and were planning on grabbing a cab to Penn Station. We were greeted by a car service that would take us to Penn station for $41. We were at the train station in about 1/2 hour. The ship was charging $19/pp for a transfer that ran a circular route between Penn Station, the Transit Bus station and Grand Central. But you did not know which one dropped off first and when you would arrive. I like the Lincoln Town Car.

laura

Can you reserve these Town cars? Will they travel from the NJ side over to Redhook? Do you call them when you come back? Sounds like $180 to park your car at RedHook.

Can you reserve these Town cars? Will they travel from the NJ side over to Redhook? Do you call them when you come back? Sounds like $180 to park your car at RedHook.

You can prereserve a town car or pick one up from those available at the pier. If you pre-reserve its best to call when you are about to get off so they know to come in and get you. You can call any car service to come and get you.

Its 18 per day with a maximum of $180.00 per month.

Archived